PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible?

Vistravi
06-Dec-09, 23:20
Is it possible to develop a allergy to something you have been around most of your life?

I'm meaning in the sense that my parents had dogs for many years and i was always fine but when i turned 12 i developed an allergy to them. Nothing life threateniong but for someone who hates the feeling you have when you're nasal pipes are all blocked up when i have a cold it is a pain.

When around dogs in the house i live in especilly where it is carpeted i just feel all bunged up like i've just developed in the space of an hour a really bad cold. When we moved into the house we are in now i knew the previous occupier had,had a dog as i suddenly got a bad cold after being in the house going through boxes just under an hour! After much hoovering and deep cleaning for a week it stopped affecting me.

I've never thought about it before now as such but its odd to say the least how i developed it late in childhood. :eek:

pat
06-Dec-09, 23:37
yes it is

example - if you are having your eyelashes tinted they should always patch test as you may become sensitive to the substances used - severe problems!!!

Same with anything at all - continual exposure does not mean there will be no sensitivity/allergy

Please get it checked out

BRIE
06-Dec-09, 23:56
yes it definately is.
My OH had a cat when he was younger & never had any problems, now he is highly allergic to the point that he can hardly breathe the doctor said he had never seen anyone with such a severe allergy! hes the same with horses too.

joxville
07-Dec-09, 00:02
I have an allergy to clothing, especially ladies, and request they remove it in my presence. :eek:

upolian
07-Dec-09, 00:22
I have an allergy to clothing, especially ladies, and request they remove it in my presence. :eek:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

toodiemac
07-Dec-09, 00:52
Is it possible to develop a allergy to something you have been around most of your life?

I'm meaning in the sense that my parents had dogs for many years and i was always fine but when i turned 12 i developed an allergy to them. Nothing life threateniong but for someone who hates the feeling you have when you're nasal pipes are all blocked up when i have a cold it is a pain.

When around dogs in the house i live in especilly where it is carpeted i just feel all bunged up like i've just developed in the space of an hour a really bad cold. When we moved into the house we are in now i knew the previous occupier had,had a dog as i suddenly got a bad cold after being in the house going through boxes just under an hour! After much hoovering and deep cleaning for a week it stopped affecting me.

I've never thought about it before now as such but its odd to say the least how i developed it late in childhood. :eek:

Did you have the BCG vaccine at school? It used to be given around that age and I know somebody who developed really severe exzema after getting the vaccine, having never had a skin problem before. I think it was something to do with the stimulation of the immune system which then turned on itself.

You may be too young to have had the jab though - not sure when they stopped giving it (and rubella) to kids starting high school.

I think allergies can start out of the blue sometimes.

Tristan
07-Dec-09, 01:43
many doctors and nurses have been recorded as developing latex allergies to gloves hence the change to other substances.

Aaldtimer
07-Dec-09, 04:03
My neice, who lives in Canada, suddenly developed an allergy to all sea foods at the age of 25! Right out of the blue... Anaphylactic Shock! Life threatening stuff. She has to carry the antidote pen(hypodermic) with her at all times.
Last time she visited in Thurso we were dining out, and she quizzed the waitress to the cooking practices in the establishment and being re-assured she should be safe, she said ,"Well I hope so, otherwise dinner could be short!":eek:

Thumper
07-Dec-09, 14:15
Yes it is very possible! I am allergic to cats-never have been before in my life but now that I have one I am allergic to it :eek: I have also developed loads of allergies recently,but they still dont know what triggers them so at the moment I am on strong antihistamines(sp?) and hoping for the best!Hope you manage to get your under control x

Angela
07-Dec-09, 14:21
Yes, it's possible. I was about 30 when I suddenly developed an allergy to bananas -my face swelled up so I looked like Miss Piggy, I couldn't swallow and struggled to breathe. :mad:

After that I developed allergies to watercress, ordinary cress, brazil nuts and avocado pears....same effect as with bananas.

In the last year I've become allergic to eggs.... eating them makes the skin on my face sore, itchy and flaky....

What next, I wonder? :confused

cuddlepop
07-Dec-09, 14:27
Unfortunatly it is I developed an allergy to house dust mites but didnt find out till i was tested for it in April 2007 .

I'd been feeling ill since 2005 after I finished cleaning the centre so go get yourself tested.
I now feel electric central heating aggrevates it too and the only time I feel "well" is outside especially by the sea.:(

ShelleyCowie
07-Dec-09, 23:33
Reading some of them replies is weird. Never knew you could just develop an allergy like that. :eek:

Iv never had allergy tests done because my GP thought i was having a laugh but i swear im allergic to dust mites or something. For years and years my eyes get itchy, bloodshot, watery and bunged up nose. Never been around anything consistantly apart from dust (cant escape the stupid stuff) but it comes and goes....

Or it could be pollen.... :confused I have no idea.

Fly
08-Dec-09, 00:16
You can develop an allergy to anything at any time even if you have been accustomed to using it for ages. My OH and I both developed an allergy to Ariel washing powder so had to stop using it. We did find an alternative so no cracks please.