PDA

View Full Version : US President who was born in Thurso

macrosie
06-Dec-09, 21:04
I read a bit in the press about a campaign to honour a forgotten Scot who became US President.

I know it was a long time ago but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Arthur St Clair who was born in Thurso in the 1730s and became the only non American to hold the position of the President of USA.

He was elected as the 9th president in 1787.

His parents, were probably William Sinclair, a merchant, and Elizabeth Balfour.

If we could find out some info could Thurso use this as a tourist attraction?

The Pepsi Challenge
06-Dec-09, 21:29
He was never one of the Presidents of America.

bettedaviseyes
06-Dec-09, 21:34
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_St._Clair

travelling man
06-Dec-09, 21:38
He was the 9th President according to the sources I looked up.

Alice in Blunderland
06-Dec-09, 21:39
Arthur St. Clair
9th President of the United States
in Congress Assembled
February 2, 1787 to October 29, 1787 :confused

Looks like it says he was in some sources
:lol:

Serenity
06-Dec-09, 21:42
Pepsi was pointing out that the "President of the Continental Congress" was a very different role to the current "President of the USA".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_Continental_Congress#Relationship _to_the_US_Presidency

Green_not_greed
06-Dec-09, 21:44
George Washington - the first president - didn't take office until 1789.

So the info appears to be wrong.

Serenity
06-Dec-09, 21:46
George Washington - the first president - didn't take office until 1789.

So the info appears to be wrong.

Not wrong, just misinterpreted. Can't blame the source for people not reading it properly.

Green_not_greed
06-Dec-09, 21:53
Wasn't Ronnie Reagan "President of Incontinental Congress" ?

Gronnuck
06-Dec-09, 22:02
Arthur St. Clair was never president of the United States. He was president of the Continental Congress which was formed from delegates of the 13 (British) Colonies. Its earlier deliberations had led to the American War of Independence. St. Clair held office from 2 February 1787 to 4 November 1787 after America had won its independence. It was during his term that the Philadelphia Convention chaired by George Washington took place and the plans for the adoption the new Constitution of the United States was finalised.
The office of President of Congress bore no relationship to the later office of President of the United States.
“The residents of Congress were almost solely presiding officers, possessing scarcely a shred of executive or administrative functions; whereas the President of the United States is almost solely an executive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_(government)) officer, with no presiding duties at all. Barring a likeness in social and diplomatic precedence, the two offices are identical only in the possession of the same title." (Burnett B. “The Continental Congress”, Rosen Publishing Group, New York. 2004)

travelling man
06-Dec-09, 22:03
Why do some people have to split hairs? He was President of America as it was in 1787.
It was still an achievement for a loon from Thurso.
Sometimes I wonder if there is any point in posting anything on here as there's sure to be someone just waiting to knock it back.
The point macrosie was trying to make was that Americans love visiting places where their ancesters came from.

Leanne
06-Dec-09, 22:24
Why do some people have to split hairs? He was President of America as it was in 1787.
Sometimes I wonder if there is any point in posting anything on here as there's sure to be someone just waiting to knock it back.
The point macrosie was trying to make was that Americans love visiting places where their ancesters came from.

Well said!

Serenity
06-Dec-09, 22:29

I wasn't "splitting hairs", I was responding to two people who had questioned Pepsi's statement. Oh I see one of them was you :roll:

macrosie
06-Dec-09, 23:04
Ok can we all agree that St Clair held a pretty important postion in the USA.

All I was looking for was if anyone had any background on him or his family.

Alan16
07-Dec-09, 00:11
Pepsi was pointing out that the "President of the Continental Congress" was a very different role to the current "President of the USA".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_the_Continental_Congress#Relationship _to_the_US_Presidency

I was under the impression that he was actually elected as "President of the Confederation Congress", but either way, it is an impressive achievement. He was not president of the United States, that is a mistake.

Serenity
07-Dec-09, 00:23
I was under the impression that he was actually elected as "President of the Confederation Congress", but either way, it is an impressive achievement. He was not president of the United States, that is a mistake.

Confederation congress and continental congress seem to be the same thing according to Wikipedia. I agree is an impressive achievement and I was always surprised how few people knew about it.
Anyway macrosie - I did reply privately but will do here to - I never posted the facts to take away from the achievement. I posted the facts because two people following your post had provided incorrect information and I thought people might appreciate knowing the truth. Apparently not.

Rheghead
07-Dec-09, 02:53

Why would we want to promote Thurso with a traitor and someone guilty of genocide?

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Dec-09, 10:50

I suppose I ought to apologise for stating a fact, and for failing to jump up and down enthusiastically at St. Clair's 'achievements', but I won't.

teddybear1873
07-Dec-09, 12:49
Why would we want to promote Thurso with a traitor and someone guilty of genocide?

Where's your evidence on that he was guilty of genocide?

Rheghead
07-Dec-09, 14:12
Where's your evidence on that he was guilty of genocide?

Oh I dunno, all that fighting the indians and making false treaties I suppose. The white takeover of the american continent is probably the biggest genocide or ethnic cleansings in history. From Arthur St. Clair's wikipedia entry, he was fairly instrumental in it all.

oldmarine
07-Dec-09, 15:01
I read a bit in the press about a campaign to honour a forgotten Scot who became US President.

I know it was a long time ago but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Arthur St Clair who was born in Thurso in the 1730s and became the only non American to hold the position of the President of USA.

He was elected as the 9th president in 1787.

His parents, were probably William Sinclair, a merchant, and Elizabeth Balfour.

I remember reading about Arthur St. Clair. If my memory serves me correctly, he was president of the Continental Congress before Washington was elected as 1st president of the USA. I remember reading that he was a Scot.