PDA

View Full Version : Update of guidelines for posting links to other web sites.

Niall Fernie
23-Apr-06, 19:32
Due to some recent links and suspensions we have added some further details to our guidelines on posting links. It has been pointed out that although some pages on the web may look innocent enough, contains a funny video clip or other material, the page may also be linked to adult content. We would ask that before posting you check that either the site has an acceptable use policy stating it does not allow adult content or that you check that there is no adult content linked on the page (or site index).

I've updated the forum rules post to suit although the wording may change to make sure its clearly understood.

pultneytooner
23-Apr-06, 19:36
To bring this to your attention niall, most other forum sites don't allow hotlinks to other sites. I know I have used these myself but generally they are not allowed. As from experience of these sites the done thing is to post the website as hxxp, so as not to have a direct link to the website in question.

Niall Fernie
23-Apr-06, 19:45
It would be an idea, however, a large number of the links that our users post are to pages of information rather than funny media, i.e. newspapers, the council website, countless other sources of information used to back up posts or provide additional detail. Informative sites tend not to have adult material, whereas media sites often do.

Sites like video.google.com have a policy of not allowing adult content to be uploaded so we would consider the likes of google to be a "safe site", I'm sure our forum users know of many more.

For the ones we find that allow adult content, we will add the url to the swearing censor to prevent a link to that site being posted again, posters of such a link will be warned when the link is removed and only suspended after a repeat offence.