PDA

View Full Version : Sea Angling

Joefitz
03-Dec-09, 18:18
I may make it home in 2010, and I wondered when the best sea angling season is. Can anyone help?
Oh, and any names of guides etc. would be appreciated!

nightspirit
03-Dec-09, 18:26
Would this be boat or shore?

If it is Boat Davy Benson owner and skipper of stormdrift works out of Scrabster, there is also the hebredean warrior also out of Scrabster - for cod fishing winter is good if you can handle the lumpy seas. I am up at the in-laws fairly often and been out both winter and summer both have their high's and lows.

As for shore marks the pier at Scrabster or the mark beside the light house at Scrabster I have heard are good - Dwarick pier and wick pier are both good.

(I apologies for the spelling of the place names I am not from Caithness and have not had the chance to check the names)

thebigman
03-Dec-09, 18:41
Would recommend the Silverline if you're into boat fishing, run by Billy and Wing. Best maintained boat in the Scrabster fleet.

Some articles on Caithness boat and shore fishing over here - www.planetseafishing.com

Just shout if you need more info.

Joefitz
03-Dec-09, 19:01
Appreciate the info. Going to the Outer Banks for Tuna in April, run to 600 lbs. Best I caught was 208, ran me silly for 90 minutes!!

George Brims
04-Dec-09, 00:51
That's grand fishing Joe. I have this lifelong ambition to catch a fish heavier than myself. If I don't put this bar of chocolate away I'll never get there... I've fished in Hawaii where the tuna go up to that sort of size too, and I've seen a 750 pound marlin landed at Kona pier once. So they're out there. I just have to get the air fare!

thebigman
04-Dec-09, 20:30
Doubt if I'll see any tuna out from Scrabster tomorrow but hopefully there's a few cod about.

George Brims
04-Dec-09, 21:52
Well there's some big skate and halibut around the north, so I *could* achieve my goal there, if I ever got the chance to go fishing in Caithness again.

I saw a 400 pound plus halibut once in the fish mart at Wick. That was a very impressive fish. Not rod-caught though.

buggyracer
04-Dec-09, 23:58
Well there's some big skate and halibut around the north, so I *could* achieve my goal there, if I ever got the chance to go fishing in Caithness again.

I saw a 400 pound plus halibut once in the fish mart at Wick. That was a very impressive fish. Not rod-caught though.

and probably caught a few hunderd miles away from wick :lol::confused

Ricco
05-Dec-09, 10:06
I used to walk up past the lighthouse as the tide fell away. This reveals a series of rocks that you can fish off - but you MUST watch the incoming doesn't cut you off!

Further on, just before Holborn Head, we used to clamber down a series of ledges to a large platform of rock and fish off there. The tide swings round into the bay here and there are a lot of good fish in the eddy. Mind, it is deep! Climbing down was easy enough for a 14 year old so no problem for an adult. Once again - watch sea state and tide.

bigjjuk
05-Dec-09, 15:13
I landed a faroese fishing boat in Scrabster this morning, 3 halibut each weighing about 250 pounds each, they are out there. I fish of the lighthouse in Wick, on a high tide. Huge shoals of pollack there and also caught the occasional codling, all with a spinner too. If I get time I will get a bait rod out too soon and who knows.

thebigman
06-Dec-09, 14:44
Yesterday's Silverline trip from Scrabster - http://url2it.com/bmge

shazzap
06-Dec-09, 16:22
What bait do you use for shore sea fishing around Wick.

youoldduffer
07-Dec-09, 00:24
What bait do you use for shore sea fishing around Wick.

Mackeral is the most popular, Squid is good if e crabs are nicking yer bait you could try a whole squid packed with mackie cod like a big bait.

northener
07-Dec-09, 10:59
Doubt if I'll see any tuna out from Scrabster tomorrow but hopefully there's a few cod about.

About 12 months ago I was talking to someone on this forum - I think it may have been SandTiger, although I stand to be corrected - about Tuna off the UK and Eire.

They're well known off the West coast of Eire/NI. But they've also been seen North of Caithness too, although they were impossible to catch.

So you never know, fingers crossed!

thebigman
07-Dec-09, 14:35
Well it may have been north of Caithness but it was a long way west as well.

A Faroe boat did fish for tuna for a couple of seasons with good results. Unfortunately one of the co-owners was killed in an accident at sea and the boat never went back to this fishing.

Pic of a 195kg fish being landed at Scrabster - http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/planetseafishing/tuna195kg.jpg

thebigman
07-Dec-09, 14:40
PS Mods, think if moving this it should have been to hobbies not recommendations.

SandTiger
08-Dec-09, 22:10
Yesterday's Silverline trip from Scrabster - http://url2it.com/bmge

One of the highlights of the day occurred shortly after one of the crew was smashed on mid-water; a porbeagle estimated at around 200lb breached the surface 3 metres from the side of the boat.

Not a seal then ;)

And why didn't you land it :D

northener
08-Dec-09, 23:04
SandTiger, was it you I had a discussion with regarding Tuna off the North Coast?

I can't remember who I was speaking to about it.

thebigman
09-Dec-09, 13:07
One of the highlights of the day occurred shortly after one of the crew was smashed on mid-water; a porbeagle estimated at around 200lb breached the surface 3 metres from the side of the boat.

Not a seal then ;)

And why didn't you land it :D

The guys were happy just to have witnessed the sharks antics and wanted to get back to their cod fishing.

SandTiger
10-Dec-09, 00:08
SandTiger, was it you I had a discussion with regarding Tuna off the North Coast?

I can't remember who I was speaking to about it.

Yep, we were discussing an apparent few sightings from the creel boats, despite the fact that it would be looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack, for anyone wishing to target them :)

The guys were happy just to have witnessed the sharks antics and wanted to get back to their cod fishing.

Excellent Davy! Great that the lads had a good day out with good fishing, to boot. Glad all went well.

locini
12-Dec-09, 14:03
For any local, quality and best of all cheap sea angling gear try www.highlandtackle.co.uk (http://www.highlandtackle.co.uk)

Local pick up available to save even more on postage.

I reccomend...;);)