PDA

View Full Version : Some advice for parents with picky kids

Rheghead
03-Dec-09, 12:33
Show them photos of the food before you give them summat new.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/6712328/The-secret-to-getting-toddlers-to-eat---picture-books.html

Phill
03-Dec-09, 12:46
I do wonder why it takes "research" to find these things out.

What I find disturbing is that it seems that "healthy" eating and fruit n' veg' is somewhat alien to kids and this research is needed to get parents to make their kids eat properly.

Kids are like plasticine, while they are young you can mould them into whatever you want, including their diet.

tonkatojo
03-Dec-09, 12:51
I do wonder why it takes "research" to find these things out.

What I find disturbing is that it seems that "healthy" eating and fruit n' veg' is somewhat alien to kids and this research is needed to get parents to make their kids eat properly.

Kids are like plasticine, while they are young you can mould them into whatever you want, including their diet.

The problem is some of the young parents wern't taught or moulded by their parents hence the stupidity of today. Not by all I hasten to add.
They even talk about parenting classes because of this. :roll: but still it's just money tax payers of course.

Phill
03-Dec-09, 13:12
The problem is some of the young parents wern't taught or moulded by their parents hence the stupidity of today.

'tis very true. It really does scare me the amount of people out there with kids that really don't have a clue.

but still it's just money tax payers of course.

It is just frightening just how much money is being pumped into "educating" people & other programs to try and cure societies issues.

A bit of a cull would do the trick.

tonkatojo
03-Dec-09, 13:15
'tis very true. It really does scare me the amount of people out there with kids that really don't have a clue.

It is just frightening just how much money is being pumped into "educating" people & other programs to try and cure societies issues.

A bit of a cull would do the trick.

WE might be wise to leave this as the org do gooders will be at us soon.;)

Phill
03-Dec-09, 13:25
WE might be wise to leave this as the org do gooders will be at us soon.;)

Hmm, I quite agree. I'd only start chewing my arms off in rage at the nonsense that goes on anyway.

Vistravi
03-Dec-09, 22:47
Show them photos of the food before you give them summat new.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/6712328/The-secret-to-getting-toddlers-to-eat---picture-books.html

It does sound like it would work but there are some children that know what the fruit or vegetable is called and know what it looks like and still won't eat it! Some children just won't eat furit and vegetables at all and all you can do is encourage them to try it and praise them when they try it even if its just a lick of the juices.

Mind you i think that if you sit with the child and eat the furit or vegetables yourself the child is more likely to eat it as well as they are seeing you eat it and enjoy it.

We are their role models and if we eat healthily our children will as they'll be given it a very young age.

Parenting classes are really just a waste of money as its very doubtful that it'll be carried on and praticised. Its just like when some parents say they're struggling with their child's negative behaviour but they constantly give into them. That to me doesn't help. But then maybe i'm just harsh and am too sturborn to let a child any child tell me how to live. The children in the nursery i work in only have to hear a certain tone of voice i use and they stop and do as they are told whether they are having a tantrum or just wanting something they can't have for whatever reason. I have had a child once think she could be stuborn and get me to give in to her. She had hurt another child and was refusing to say sorry. i had her sat out on chill out time for an hour before she caved in and said sorry. Now all i need to do is tell her she needs to apologise to a child when she's done something either willing or unwillingly hurt them and she does it.
Not surprising really my mum is convinced she's going to have very well behaved grandchildren from me. :lol:

Dadie
03-Dec-09, 22:58
Just keep on putting the fruit and veg on their plates!
Even if for the first few trys you have to eat the food under the kitchen table as a picnic or invite a less picky friend round for tea!
Lauren and Iona both like fruit and veg though Lauren wont eat big tomatos just baby ones (cherry tomatos) pineapple is hit or miss and peas are painful for me to watch Lauren eat them 1 by 1.
But Lauren will eat things at nursery that she wouldnt entertain at home like tomato soup or porridge due to peer pressure:lol:

ps Kids can be little angels for other people and play up for their parents....they know what buttons to press to try you..

Vistravi
03-Dec-09, 23:31
ps Kids can be little angels for other people and play up for their parents....they know what buttons to press to try you..

So true! The wee lad i look after on a saturday will throw the biggest temper trantrums i have ever seen so far and so quickly but with me he never does. We do things a bit differently but are both firm with him. Its strange seeing him react so differently in the same situation but just with another person.

Its really over the last 5 months i have really developed my authority voice and i only need to use a certain tone of voice and the kids just know that they have done wrong and as they know i can be harsh when i need to be they are quick to say their sorries to whoever they need to. The wee lad i look after on a saturday has never needed me to even use that tone or found out that i can be harsh when its needed to make them see the wrong in their actions(last time used about a month ago when a child pushed another child while going up the stairs and the child she pushed almost fell down the stairs!) He's always even when on poor form such a good child and is so easy going. He's known me for some time now but has never had a temper tranturm with me while i've been looking after him, i've only ever seen him do it with his mum and its usually when he's tired. Kids are funny things sometimes with the way they are.

George Brims
04-Dec-09, 00:48
The worst cases of temper tantrums vs wimpy parents (besides the people you hear at the supermarket trying to use *reason* with a three year old brat) are on the TV show Supernanny. Don't know if it's shown in the UK, but it features a completely unflappable English woman who goes to houses and re-trains the parents so they can handle their kids.

Bazeye
04-Dec-09, 02:15
Ive said it before and Ill say it again. Just hit them with a big stick and lock them in the shed.

embow
04-Dec-09, 07:42
Ive said it before and Ill say it again. Just hit them with a big stick and lock them in the shed.
And don't forget to throw the key away;)

Phill
04-Dec-09, 10:26

tut tut tut

That's very old school and just doesn't sit well with today's educational & social policy makers.

Now, electric shock therapy, that's a bit more modern and quite a time saver in today's busy lives. No hanging around waiting for the tantrums to subside, just a quick zap and you've shown 'em who's boss.

squidge
04-Dec-09, 16:17
My eldest boy was always a picky eater, my second boy ate everything you put in front of him and everyone else's as well, My third boy, eats everything except eggs, my two year old eats very well normally but at times of stress he will refuse food. I have just been in hospital having my appendix out sigh and he went completely off his food - same when daddy had a planned op in March. I dont make a big deal of it and give him what he will eat... he will always eat a banana for example.

The biggest bit of advice is not to worry about it and not to stress out about it. Oh and the biggest of it all is to try to eat at the table with them as often as possible. Not easy when mummy or daddy doesn't get home til seven but still achiveable at weekends for example. Even if you only have a snack whilst they have their dinner its worth it.

Kenn
04-Dec-09, 17:34
Simple solution, get rid of the kids and enjoy the veggies yourself!

Amy-Winehouse
04-Dec-09, 18:41
Not all modern day parents are the same !!! grrr that annoys me, my children are both picky eaters my oldest is autistic so hence the pickyness!! Sometimes it doesnt matter what you do there not gonna eat it. I have tryed everything from pictures to just giving them something different every night and adding veg in what they normally eat hasnt work so they refuse to eat full stop.

And someone once told me they will eat if there hungry my oldest didnt eat for about a week and lost alot of weight while trying to change his diet so he staved himself so he didnt have to try anything new so ended up putting back on his normal eating plan which consists of fish pie and toast and im still trying to give him different choices and he still sticks to the same thing but before anyone says it yes he has autism so he doesnt like change but he,s still a child who,s picky.