PDA

View Full Version : CD Player

Liz
03-Dec-09, 00:23
I usually play my CDs on my computer but this is no longer working for some reason!:roll:

Can anyone recommend a good CD Player which doesn't cost too much?

Thanks!

dx100uk
03-Dec-09, 01:52
try a lense cleaner disc.

dx

EDDIE
03-Dec-09, 09:25
Try another cd eg photo cd software cd to see if the cd rom works if that does then it will be something silly in your settings on your computer thats why its not playing cds if other types of cds dont work it might be your cd rom and if your cd rom is ok the other option would you could do put in your recovery disc and take it back to the day you got the computer or you can try using system restore and take your computer back to an earlier point assuming its a software glich

By what your saying i would say it was a software glitch and its just not regonizing an audio file for some reason?

EDDIE
03-Dec-09, 09:28
I usually play my CDs on my computer but this is no longer working for some reason!:roll:

Can anyone recommend a good CD Player which doesn't cost too much?

Thanks!

Is it the music on blank cds or is it original cds?

Liz
03-Dec-09, 12:38
Thanks both. As well as not playing any kind of discs I now can't get the drawer to open!:roll:

EDDIE
03-Dec-09, 12:50
If u cant get the cd rom to open is there a cd jammed if so there should be a we hole in the rom were u stick a pin up it to release the rom manually.
And if its a computer u can get dvd writer roms quite cheaply probably about £30 to £40 and its an easy job to replace u cant really go wrong in replaceing them
Is it an old computer or is it new ?

Liz
03-Dec-09, 13:09
If u cant get the cd rom to open is there a cd jammed if so there should be a we hole in the rom were u stick a pin up it to release the rom manually.
And if its a computer u can get dvd writer roms quite cheaply probably about £30 to £40 and its an easy job to replace u cant really go wrong in replaceing them
Is it an old computer or is it new ?

Hi Eddie

I did actually get a CD stuck in it once and think must have damaged something trying to get it out again.:confused
I have tried putting a pin in the wee hole in the rom but no luck.

It is a new computer but don't want to claim under guarantee (probably won't be covered anyway if I damaged it) as would need to send it away and can't be withoot ma puter!

I was thinking of getting an external device but not sure what to look for?

tonkatojo
03-Dec-09, 13:23
Hi Eddie

I did actually get a CD stuck in it once and think must have damaged something trying to get it out again.:confused
I have tried putting a pin in the wee hole in the rom but no luck.

It is a new computer but don't want to claim under guarantee (probably won't be covered anyway if I damaged it) as would need to send it away and can't be withoot ma puter!

I was thinking of getting an external device but not sure what to look for?

Amazon do an external unit its a usb cd dvd r/rw for £17.99

Liz
03-Dec-09, 13:24
Amazon do an external unit its a usb cd dvd r/rw for £17.99

That sounds just the job! Could you do me a favour and give me the link for this?

Cheers!:D

tonkatojo
03-Dec-09, 13:28
That sounds just the job! Could you do me a favour and give me the link for this?

Cheers!:D

http://www.amazon.co.uk

when you get the page up type in USB cd/dvd/r/rw and look through the lists.:)

EDDIE
03-Dec-09, 13:49
I would be suprised at an external dvd rom would be that cheap here is a well know website below for computer internal dvd writer are a standard size.
http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/CD---DVD-Drives

I wouldnt buy an external rom its more glutter more wires and plugs plus the speed it works at will be slower with a usb cable rather than an ide cable for internal drives

If i was you just take it to someone local to put another rom in it for u its a very basic job to do probably about 20 mins to fit if that you can even do it yourself its not hard take the cover of the case 4 screws 2 cables thats it most dvd roms you buy it comes with intruction in it how to install it
Im sure allcam up at olrig street in thurso could do that for u

Its all very well everyone guesing faults on here but if u took it to a local guy that fixes computers the first thing they will do is check in the bios to see if the rom is being regonised or if it has been disabled and if that doesnt work they would try on spare cd rom onto your computer to see if it cures the fault thats why its quicker resolve to take it to someone localy

Liz
03-Dec-09, 14:06
Yes think I will do that Eddie.:D

tonkatojo
03-Dec-09, 17:21
I would be suprised at an external dvd rom would be that cheap here is a well know website below for computer internal dvd writer are a standard size.
http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Components/cat/CD---DVD-Drives

I wouldnt buy an external rom its more glutter more wires and plugs plus the speed it works at will be slower with a usb cable rather than an ide cable for internal drives

If i was you just take it to someone local to put another rom in it for u its a very basic job to do probably about 20 mins to fit if that you can even do it yourself its not hard take the cover of the case 4 screws 2 cables thats it most dvd roms you buy it comes with intruction in it how to install it
Im sure allcam up at olrig street in thurso could do that for u

Its all very well everyone guesing faults on here but if u took it to a local guy that fixes computers the first thing they will do is check in the bios to see if the rom is being regonised or if it has been disabled and if that doesnt work they would try on spare cd rom onto your computer to see if it cures the fault thats why its quicker resolve to take it to someone localy

E-BUYER surcharge you for up here, but please yourself, I stopped dealing with them on principal. Don't be surprised just look.

ShelleyCowie
06-Dec-09, 00:47
I used til use ebuyer alot but their prices soared :eek: Was planning on building myself a new computer and to be honest the motherboards on there were not worth the look for the prices o them! same as RAM

Each til their own tho. :)

EDDIE
06-Dec-09, 15:40
I used til use ebuyer alot but their prices soared :eek: Was planning on building myself a new computer and to be honest the motherboards on there were not worth the look for the prices o them! same as RAM

Each til their own tho. :)

I used to build my own computers up from scratch and to be honest if your building a gaming machine it probabley is cheaper to build it but if your building a pc up just for internet and word and so on i think its cheaper just to buy a pc rather than build because when u add all the parts up and legal software its not that much of a saving if any.
I would not say it was so much as the parts get dearer i think its the computers are getting cheaper because were living in a throw away society
Its a shame really i used to enjoy building computers up it just shows u how its not worth the hasstle now when u look at windows system it registers the hardware details so if change a a mother board it could invalidate your software and technolgy moves so fast that if a motherboard goes your just as well upgrading everything anyway thats why i think its not really cost effective to upgrade?