PDA

View Full Version : Installing Gas Central Heating

macDONsald
02-Dec-09, 13:55
Hi,

I currently have storage heaters and was considering installing gas.

Can anyone give me a "very rough" figure of what it would cost to install.
There is no pipework, radiatiors or anything in just now.
2 storey house. 8 rooms.

cheers
macDONsald

celtic lass
04-Dec-09, 00:08
Hi,

I currently have storage heaters and was considering installing gas.

Can anyone give me a "very rough" figure of what it would cost to install.
There is no pipework, radiatiors or anything in just now.
2 storey house. 8 rooms.

cheers
macDONsald
my son is in a bungalow and he got a quote for a 3 bedroom and it was £3500.00 and the gas point was up to his house and that was 3yrs ago not cheap but with credit crunch it might be to your advantage

macDONsald
07-Dec-09, 13:36
Thanks for the info.

cheers
macDONsald

viking
08-Dec-09, 20:32
If you're in an area which gets town gas then my advice would be to go for it. If you'd need an LPG tank in your garden then don't - it's very expensive.

igglepiggle
08-Dec-09, 22:35
when we got our house it was electric, we put town gas in, and for the 8 rooms like yourself, 9 radiators, all pipe work, new fire and surround, and conection from the road pipes to the house, we were £4000, that was 4 years ago though, but will give you a rough guide.

madmax
08-Dec-09, 22:44
Have you considered putting in a wet system ( radiators, pipe etc) and an electric boiler?
You can still run it off economy electric and its controllable through a programmer that you can set to come on whenever you want unlike storage heaters where they are hot in the mornings and cooling down in the evenings.

ShelleyCowie
08-Dec-09, 23:10
when we got our house it was electric, we put town gas in, and for the 8 rooms like yourself, 9 radiators, all pipe work, new fire and surround, and conection from the road pipes to the house, we were £4000, that was 4 years ago though, but will give you a rough guide.

Wow! :eek: That is alot of money. But i guess it works out cheaper for your heating in the long run? I consider myself extremelly lucky i already have gas.

Bobinovich
08-Dec-09, 23:29

Based on your electric costs before and gas costs since can you give an idea what the difference is? Therefore easier to work out the payback period for the investment.

igglepiggle
09-Dec-09, 10:06
Based on your electric costs before and gas costs since can you give an idea what the difference is? Therefore easier to work out the payback period for the investment.

I dont really know what the difference was in electric before hand as when we bought the house we done the change over before moving in.. We have always had gas heating and always find it very quick to heat up the house. We do however pay £90 a month between gas and electric direct debit and we have never owed anything we are always in credit. i am not sure how much it is to run electric heating but i do hear people saying that it is expensive. Sorry i didnt mean to take over the thread :roll: