PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Seats

retrodj
02-Dec-09, 12:10
Why has no one invented a toilet seat that wont move once fitted. Almost every toilet seat i've had, has moved, slid or broke very easily. I fit them as instructed, and tighten themas much as possible. However, the screws always loosen or break, causing the seat to move at the most inconvenient of times. [evil]
I've now had 2 toilet seats in as many months. One bought from a local store, and the latest one from Homebase. the local bought one had metal fittings, and the homebase one had plastic fittings. I just find that all toilet seats in general can be tarred with the same brush.
I know it's probably down to the fittings, but most of these fittings are standard, so that they fit most toilets..

I think someone needs to go back to the drawing board and come up with something simple yet effective and will fit most toilets.
I would do it myself, but don't have an ounce of inventiveness in my body to come up with such a thing.

Moan over.
:~(
If someone knows of any toilet seats that might fit the bill, please let me know.

pat
02-Dec-09, 12:29
frequently I find the size of the person sitting on the toilet is an indication of if the toilet is going to work seat is going to loosen slightly - so my answer is make some weight disappear!!!

Findings are from running a B&B with ensuites and I always double check after a weighty person has been staying and frequently find toilet seat slightly loose.

Scorpio12thNov
02-Dec-09, 12:46
It's like anything these days retrodj, nothing is built to last. It's the companies way of getting more money from us[evil]

northener
02-Dec-09, 12:54
This toilet will solve all your seating problems:

http://www.vagabondjourney.com/photos/1268-toilet-arab-iraq.JPG

Scorpio12thNov
02-Dec-09, 12:56
Dude...what do they use the hose for?:eek:

tonkatojo
02-Dec-09, 13:00
Dude...what do they use the hose for?:eek:

I cannot see any loo roll, that could be a clue. ;)

tonkatojo
02-Dec-09, 13:05
Why has no one invented a toilet seat that wont move once fitted. Almost every toilet seat i've had, has moved, slid or broke very easily. I fit them as instructed, and tighten themas much as possible. However, the screws always loosen or break, causing the seat to move at the most inconvenient of times. [evil]
I've now had 2 toilet seats in as many months. One bought from a local store, and the latest one from Homebase. the local bought one had metal fittings, and the homebase one had plastic fittings. I just find that all toilet seats in general can be tarred with the same brush.
I know it's probably down to the fittings, but most of these fittings are standard, so that they fit most toilets..

I think someone needs to go back to the drawing board and come up with something simple yet effective and will fit most toilets.
I would do it myself, but don't have an ounce of inventiveness in my body to come up with such a thing.

Moan over.
If someone knows of any toilet seats that might fit the bill, please let me know.

I found a way to stop them slipping as I am a tad overweight, discard the washers that come and use sanitary silicone, in other words glue the fitting in place, a good tip is leave it to cure before use, should you need to remove seat use a stanley knife and silicone dissolver, jobby done.

im behind you
02-Dec-09, 13:34

Moan over.
i know the feeling i think i have gone threw 3 in the last year.(i blamed the wifes arse) that was a joke. i was buying seats from home base with little screws holding the lift up part to the actuall seat was always falling apart. so i went up and bought one of there cheap ones at £5.99 i think it was and since then not a prob. mind you not the comfyist thing to sit on though when you have been sitting for a 30 mins or so.

poppett
02-Dec-09, 17:19
Before fitting the new toilet seat I bought penny sized spring washers from Serendipity in Thurso. Put them on with the fittings so the washer screws against them and seat hasn`t moved since.

bekisman
02-Dec-09, 17:37
The word is "rubber grommets" - like most folks we had seats that slid when the wingnut became loose, tried the 'filling the hole with silicon', bit messy and a job to get out when changing the seat.. So now use rubber grommets, which slip inside the holes where the wingnut screw goes, try the link below:

Simple 'SLIPFIX' for that wonky toilet seat

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLIPFIX-loose-wonky-toilet-seat-hinges-effective-cure_W0QQitemZ230402860463QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DI Y_Materials_Plumbing_MJ?hash=item35a514a5af

ShelleyCowie
02-Dec-09, 17:48
Ohhh toilet seats! [evil]

When my OH's parents were up they bought us a new toilet seat cos i always wanted a pine one. Well we got it on and i just sat on it to try it to make sure it was in the right place and it slipped down.

So we tightened it up a bit and then as time went on....bums sat on the seat...it just split in half!

The stupid manufacturer had put the hinges where the pine was joined together. How stupid is that!!

So my OH's mum has bought us a new toilet seat and we are waiting on it being delivered.

Also tried new washers and clay to hold the seat together to make do for now! I still refuse to sit on the thing lol.

dozy
02-Dec-09, 17:50
All the trouble comes from the manufacturers not putting a lefthanded thread on one for the bolts that hold the seats on ..So as the seat moves, one gets tighter and the other slackens (big ar-e or not ) so it ain't anything to do with weight ..Its all because its dearer to produce a lefthanded thread ...Simply ..

BINBOB
02-Dec-09, 17:53
The word is "rubber grommets" - like most folks we had seats that slid when the wingnut became loose, tried the 'filling the hole with silicon', bit messy and a job to get out when changing the seat.. So now use rubber grommets, which slip inside the holes where the wingnut screw goes, try the link below:

Simple 'SLIPFIX' for that wonky toilet seat

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLIPFIX-loose-wonky-toilet-seat-hinges-effective-cure_W0QQitemZ230402860463QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_DI Y_Materials_Plumbing_MJ?hash=item35a514a5af

Thank u for this ..just ordered some.;)

bekisman
02-Dec-09, 18:00
Pleased to help!

unicorn
02-Dec-09, 18:16
I use one of those in Turkey, no fun at all :eek:

This toilet will solve all your seating problems:

http://www.vagabondjourney.com/photos/1268-toilet-arab-iraq.JPG

Fran
03-Dec-09, 01:39
It looks like a chinese toilet. They have like a hole in the floor and you squat over it. Mind you, that was many years ago when i lived in singapore.

Bazeye
03-Dec-09, 03:39
Just hover. Mind you, it is a bit tricky doing the crossword.

BINBOB
03-Dec-09, 10:16
It looks like a chinese toilet. They have like a hole in the floor and you squat over it. Mind you, that was many years ago when i lived in singapore.

Still have them in public loos,in Hong Kong...when I was there 4 years ago!!!;)

EDDIE
03-Dec-09, 10:23
Still have them in public loos,in Hong Kong...when I was there 4 years ago!!!;)

Ask a silly question what like is it 2 have a no2 on one of those

bekisman
03-Dec-09, 10:38
( Northerner)I reckon it's a Standard squat toilet in Iraq -- you do your duty and then wash off with the hose
http://www.vagabondjourney.com/travelogue/2009/05/bathrooms-in-middle-east.html

dragonfly
03-Dec-09, 13:30
jobby done.

:lol::lol::lol: Too much info there!!

tonkatojo
03-Dec-09, 13:35
:lol::lol:: Too much info there!!

Perhaps

Some folk think I meant the washers on the threads, it wasn't, the sealing washer under the hinge part was what I was talking about, but hey whatever.;)