PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else see

catherine nicol
02-Dec-09, 09:37
flash of light this morning in sky over Bower about 7.45am.

Whilst driving to work this morning I was admiring the bright full moon overhead when there was a flash of light that appeared to come upwards and go accross from Bower area and fade out before it totally reached the clouds.

Did anyone else see this? There were cars in front of me so maybe one of these drivers saw it too.

Intrigued :confused:eek:

pat
02-Dec-09, 10:24
in warmer climates there is a flash of light as the sun rises and sets - in the evening it seems to have a slight green tinge to it, in the morning it is usually just a brighter flash of light than the light it is but quite noticeable.
Spent many evenings in warmer climates waiting for the flash to signify evening had arrived and the bright flash on the way to work in the mornings meant full daylight was not far away.
Extemely difficult to describe this light, it does not seem to cover the sky only a certain area.
Wonder does this mean we are becoming warmer climates?

_Ju_
02-Dec-09, 10:52
Pat, you-ve seen a green flash sunset/sunrise? I am so jealous! Been keeping a lookout for decades, eversince I read a book that mentioned it.

Scorpio12thNov
02-Dec-09, 12:44
I was out on Dunnet Beach at around 7.30-7.45ish, I never saw a light as I was running with the dogs, but when I got half way along the beach, someone asked me if I seen a light in the sky. I replied...erm...no ye spacer:lol:but obviously it was me that was the spacer!:roll:

gggrrr...very jealous now![lol]

Phill
02-Dec-09, 14:09
Do you see the light?

What Light?

Do you see the light?

Yes, Jesus, holy tap-dancing Christ, I see the light!

bigjjuk
02-Dec-09, 16:49
yep I saw it and so did my colleague in the car, we were heading towards hump back bridge on a9. A bright flash of light shot from the sky downwards towards the ground. It was very bright and lasted about 2 secs. Meteorite is what I thought, good size one too.

Stargazer
02-Dec-09, 17:55
It could have been an Iridium satellite. These have a unique characteristic of having very bright reflections from the solar array which last for a few moments then fade away. The effect is known as an Iridium Flare. Magnitude -8 is the brightest, almost like a car headlight being shone down out of the sky.

There are websites that can predict time and location to see the flares so on a clear night you can pop out at the right time and watch. :roll:

http://www.heavens-above.com/

You have to key in your location to get accurate times, Halkirk is on thier database but never tried other Caithness locations.

Tellyaddict
02-Dec-09, 18:56
My hubby saw it on the killimster moss this morning and thought it was a shooting star.

veekay
02-Dec-09, 19:16
I saw this bright green light this morning as well. Came on the org to make sure it wasn't just me! Quite exciting really

Mystical Potato Head
02-Dec-09, 20:00

Whilst driving to work this morning I was admiring the bright full moon overhead when there was a flash of light that appeared to come upwards and go accross from Bower area and fade out before it totally reached the clouds.

Did anyone else see this? There were cars in front of me so maybe one of these drivers saw it too.

I doubt if it was an iridium flare because there were none foreast for the area at that time.
If it just lasted a second or so and was moving really fast,like it would shoot across the whole sky in a couple if seconds then it was a meteor.

Iridiums can take up to 3 minutes or so to travel across the sky although they are only intensely bright for a few seconds and fade to a still visible but much fainter light,their speed to the eye would look more like that of a plane at 30 000ft or so.

Doolally
03-Dec-09, 00:13
My hubby saw it on the killimster moss this morning and thought it was a shooting star.

My Dad saw it this morning also in the direction of Killlimster Moss. Said it looked like a cone shaped light shooting down to the ground. Only lasted a couple of seconds. He's never seen anything like it before.

dragonfly
07-Dec-09, 19:55
would that be similar to what I saw on Thurso Beach this morning around 6:30am? it was pitch black but I saw a bright flash of light though no clouds in the sky however I did see several shooting stars and assumed it was one of those entering the atmosphere??

lister
08-Dec-09, 04:01

Ach min!! an they've choost closed e UFO dept in the government..now well never know!!;)

starlight express
11-Dec-09, 01:10
A mysterious blue spiral light was filmed over Norway at about the same time. Look up youtube blue spiral light. And see the film footage very weird!

gollach
11-Dec-09, 01:13
There is an annual meteor shower just starting

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/08dec_geminids.htm

greenasiamcabbagelooking
11-Dec-09, 01:26
here's the link for the Norway phenomenan ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMUhS-S0rGk&feature=related

pretty weird looking right enough, does it bear any resemblance to what our orgers spotted ?