PDA

View Full Version : Milkman??

floyed
02-Dec-09, 07:27
Is there such a thing anymore?? I havent seen a milk float in years, where did they go?? Why did they put milk on milk floats, why not just in a van??:eek:

pat
02-Dec-09, 10:14
In Lewis our milk gets delivered from a yellow van.

Venture
02-Dec-09, 10:19
Goodness me Floyed what did you have before bedtime last night to be up and posting so early in the morning about milkmen. Must have been a milkshake.

Well at least if the Milkman isn't around any more he can't get blamed for being the "Daddy" of so many people.[lol]

retrodj
02-Dec-09, 10:22
They are a dying breed these days. Everyone just gets the big milk cartons from the shops. Tesco or the local convenience store.
I know there is still a Milk delivery in my home village down in Dumfriesshire. It's also delivered in a van. Can't be many people get milk delivered by the milkman.
I just get my milk in lidls or tesco.

Rheghead
02-Dec-09, 11:34
I once inquired into buying a milk round business from a retiring milkman and the price was astronomically expensive. Tangibly, the business consisted of a couple of trucks and a customer list in good faith. The trucks weren't in particularly good nick either. Seems that if you can build up a good business with lots of customers then that is more value than assets.

floyed
02-Dec-09, 12:47
Goodness me Floyed what did you have before bedtime last night to be up and posting so early in the morning about milkmen. Must have been a milkshake.

Well at least if the Milkman isn't around any more he can't get blamed for being the "Daddy" of so many people.[lol]

Lol i couldn't sleep! Then i was just thinking of making a cuppa, when i thought i havent seen a milkman in years:lol:

tonkatojo
02-Dec-09, 13:10
I remember milk floats being electric running of batteries so as they didn't wake the streets up at 4-5 in the morning, people were considerate in those days.

Aquarian Girl
02-Dec-09, 17:02
Think milkmen now have become 'white van men'. Claymore Dairies in Wick still deliver to smaller shops and some houses but their drivers use a white van. Long gone are our milk floats I'm afraid.

Hoida
02-Dec-09, 19:00
:) There is still a milkman delivers up west a sfar as Tongue maybe Melness not sure Delivers 3 times a week but is very dear compared to the supermarket.

floyed
02-Dec-09, 21:44
seems the milkman has been fazed out by the supermarkets wonder if the butchers will go the same way in a few years???

Bazeye
03-Dec-09, 03:59
seems the milkman has been fazed out by the supermarkets wonder if the butchers will go the same way in a few years???

Havent seen many candle stick makers recently,come to think of it.

Joefitz
03-Dec-09, 18:22
in the late 50's and early 60's delivering milk in his bubble car if his milkman from Thurso East forgot somebody??