PDA

View Full Version : Safeway sold

Fran
02-Dec-09, 01:56
I will miss Safeway in wick, thought the co-op was moving into it and hoped for farmfoods or asda. But it has been sold to Hales Deans (probably spelt wrongly), whose stores are very popular in Germany and sell similar products to lidls.

butterfly
02-Dec-09, 02:18
That nice man fixed your computor then Fran.;)

Kevin Milkins
02-Dec-09, 07:41
Where is Safeway?:confused

Good to see you up and running again Fran.:D

neepnipper
02-Dec-09, 08:31
I think it's Somerfield. Would of liked a Farm Foods or Iceland.

bekisman
02-Dec-09, 08:49
Think it's 'Haldanes':
Haldanes Stores, the new supermarket company which was launched last month, has bought another 13 outlets. This brings the number of shops in the independent chain to 18 throughout the UK. Haldanes opened its first three supermarkets in the past fortnight in Prestonpans, Carluke and Tranent. The company has been buying stores from the Co-operative group, which was forced to sell some shops following its acquisition of Somerfield. Most of the new outlets are in Scotland and include stores in Kelso, Arbroath, Fraserburgh, Wick and Larkhall. Chairman of the group Arthur Harris said: "Our acquisition plans are right on track and we will have all 18 supermarkets running under the Haldanes name by Easter. "And we are still on the acquisition trail for other stores the length and breadth of the UK." Haldanes - which has a trading logo "Refreshingly local" - said it was the first mid-sized supermarket chain to open for business in the UK for 27 years. Its headquarters are in Grantham, Lincolnshire, with a regional base in Broxburn, West Lothian. The 728 people currently employed at the 18 stores will transfer to Haldanes and the group expects to employ another 22 people when all the management positions have been filled. Haldanes plans to have a chain of about 50 stores within the next four years, employing about 1,200 people.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/default.stm

bekisman
02-Dec-09, 08:52
Wee bit more about 'em: http://www.haldanes-stores.co.uk/

Scunner
02-Dec-09, 11:21
and even more in the P & J business section today

Rheghead
02-Dec-09, 11:26
This brings the number of shops in the independent chain to 18 throughout the UK.

What is an independent chain? What are they independent from? :confused

dafi
02-Dec-09, 11:38
Probably means they are owned by one family or owner unlike sommerfields and asda and probably others that are all owned by Wallmart in the states.

grumpy1
02-Dec-09, 13:32
I think it's Somerfield. Would of liked a Farm Foods or Iceland.

iceland would be great up here....thats one shop i do miss...

tonkatojo
02-Dec-09, 13:52
iceland would be great up here....thats one shop i do miss...

This would be a good idea, the goods could come by sea and free up the A9. ;)

girnigoe
02-Dec-09, 14:02
Store in Wick is opening on 9th March 2010.

Venture
02-Dec-09, 17:13
If they stick to their word and source local produce they should do well. Of course a lot will depend on their prices. They certainly sound like a good outfit with a lot of good management experience. I like their idea of engaging with local communities and supporting local events. Sounds promising.;)

Loraine
02-Dec-09, 20:26
I like their idea of engaging with local communities and supporting local events. Sounds promising.;)

I think most supermarkets say this - Tesco and Co-op are exactly the same in supporting community events and local charities! Still, if they have decent prices might be worth a look!!

joxville
02-Dec-09, 21:12
I think most supermarkets say this - Tesco and Co-op are exactly the same in supporting community events and local charities! Still, if they have decent prices might be worth a look!!
My local Tesco does diddly-squat for the community, whereas my Co-op supports several local charities.

Co-op 3 Tesco 0