PDA

View Full Version : Tesco for Wick?

rfr10
22-Apr-06, 20:37
Who's for and against Tesco in Wick and give your reasons. IM FOR.

Billy Boy
22-Apr-06, 20:39
the sooner the better.:)

Mr P Cannop
22-Apr-06, 20:55
i am for the new tescos i support it

Chobbersjnr
22-Apr-06, 21:07
I voted yes other

as they only come if they allow the blind in with their guide elephants

pultneytooner
22-Apr-06, 21:08
the sooner the better.:)

Well said, my sentiments exactly.

Drutt
22-Apr-06, 21:11
You really don't like anonymous polls, do you Robin?

JAWS
22-Apr-06, 21:14
There is the loud and distinct sound of "Dragging Feet". Somebody needs chopping off at the knees followed by a swift kick up their posteriors.

It's time that the people of Caithness were considered and not just the few with vested interests in blocking anything new!

I'm surprised nobody has come up with the excuse that a Tesco Store would frighten people of flying into Wick Airport. Well, it's as good an excuse as any of the others I have heard.

Has nobody pointed out that a Tesco Store will cause the destruction of that rare and unique Caithness commodity, grass.
We could start an environmental campaign - "Save the last Caithness Field!" and "Every blade of grass is precious!"
What a good excuse for me not cutting the lawn! :eek: (Hands up anybody who will fall for that one) [lol]

Lets get on with it and the sooner the better!

Bingobabe
22-Apr-06, 21:23
It will be great if tescos comes to wick i love tescos everytime i go to inverness i do some shopping there.:o) :o)

teuchter
22-Apr-06, 21:30
I dont want an answer from the person if they dont feel like being singled out but- why does somebody who doesnt live in Caithness not want us who do ,not to have a tescos?

unicorn
22-Apr-06, 21:34
Yes as it's high time we had more choice where we spend our money!

Chobbersjnr
22-Apr-06, 21:39

yeah elephant food is costing a fortune............

golach
22-Apr-06, 21:49
I dont want an answer from the person if they dont feel like being singled out but- why does somebody who doesnt live in Caithness not want us who do ,not to have a tescos?
Because I think that Caithness cannot support two big Supermarkets, go for one or the other....... my preference is Asda
P.S. Teuchter I did not set the poll, but took part in it anyway

unicorn
22-Apr-06, 21:52
yeah elephant food is costing a fortune............ wow are they selling it lol :)

teuchter
22-Apr-06, 21:56
Only problem with that is, that public transport connections from the East coast over to Thurso are none existant. So for example if Asda goes ahead only in Thurso, how does the pensioner in Dunbeath manage to make the most of this new buying experience, if they dont have there own transport? I have no preference between asda or tescos, but im sure if only 1 town got 1 of these stores a lot of people would miss out on being able to use it. Im sure bus connections from outlieing areas on Thurso's side over to Wick are no better.

Billy Boy
22-Apr-06, 21:58
Because I think that Caithness cannot support two big Supermarkets, go for one or the other....... my preference is Asda

both supermarkets would have done sufficient research before even thinking of building their stores up here, be honest who in their right mind would build a store if there wasnt a chance of it succeeding.

Billy Boy
22-Apr-06, 22:01
Only problem with that is, that public transport connections from the East coast over to Thurso are none existant. So for example if Asda goes ahead only in Thurso, how does the pensioner in Dunbeath manage to make the most of this new buying experience, if they dont have there own transport? I have no preference between asda or tescos, but im sure if only 1 town got 1 of these stores a lot of people would miss out on being able to use it. Im sure bus connections from outlieing areas on Thurso's side over to Wick are no better.

i live in the country and the bus drivers have told me more than once that the reason there are few buses now are because people dont use them and they are running with no passengers. if the store's were to come up and more people started to use the buses i am sure they could increase the amount of runs they do and it would be of benifit to them aswell

sam
22-Apr-06, 22:06
yeah elephant food is costing a fortune............

yeah....and what do they feed you on lol:roll:

teuchter
22-Apr-06, 22:06
I can understand that i just dont know if the buses would intraduce enough of the services required. It takes the best part of the day at present to get from Dunbeath to Thurso, using public transport. Would'nt leave much time to expand Wallmarts annual turnover.

Mr P Cannop
22-Apr-06, 22:08
I would go to the meeting but am working when the meeting takes place i support the new tescos

scorrie
22-Apr-06, 22:14

The irony is that, ultimately, you have less choice where to spend your money. More than 50% of money spent in Inverness is in Tescos. Now is that really freedom of choice?

I note that the initial poster asked for reasons but did not give theirs. I do not see any other arguement being put forward as to how it will help Wick. Don't bother giving the old "It'll bring more people into the town" story. People will park in Tescos, buy everything there, fill up in Tescos and drive away again. If people are spending money in Tescos, then they are not spending it in the Co-op, Somerfields or Lidls. Say the Co-op and Somerfield get squeezed out, you now have two places to shop instead of three. Same applies if the smaller wallpaper and paint outlets close in the face of Homebase arriving. You then have to get a liking for Homebase stuff (and be like everyone else in the town) or you have to hit Inverness or the Internet in search of an alternative.

There is no point in having a poll about this 9 out of 10 will want Tescos or any other thing that they have in Inverness, just as people in Inverness will want stores that they have in Glasgow or Newcastle. It's all part of the myth and hype that bigger is better and that you are somehow missing out on something other people have access to.

Time will tell on the benefits to the town. Tesco will, no doubt, be here soon enough. For myself? I couldn't give Peter Tork's Father or Michael Dolenz's Mother.

footie chick
22-Apr-06, 22:23
I for one will shop in Tescos and the coop in wick {the wick one is better that thurso} when there if i need any thing else I will go down the street to get what I need.
I prefer to shop locally for paint etc because you get customer care {yes it is alive in some parts of Caithness if you know where to look} plus they offer help and advice that some other shops might not.
I will look forward to leaving MOST of the Thurso shops behind to go to wick every week. Cant wait :)

Dali
22-Apr-06, 22:29
The irony is that, ultimately, you have less choice where to spend your money. More than 50% of money spent in Inverness is in Tescos. Now is that really freedom of choice?

Well they have many other stores there so looks like Tescos is the best choice.
So it was the freedom of the people to choose to shop there thye were not forced there is not a lack of choice in inverness is there ?
We do not have the freedom of choice as there is not much to choose from .

scorrie
22-Apr-06, 22:34
Well they have many other stores there so looks like Tescos is the best choice.
So it was the freedom of the people to choose to shop there thye were not forced there is not a lack of choice in inverness is there ?
We do not have the freedom of choice as there is not much to choose from .

You cannot shop in a store that is closed. 1 out of 1 sheep said they preferred Tescos.

footie chick
22-Apr-06, 22:36
Shouldn't it be 1 out of 1 ELEPHANTS said they preferred Tescos

teuchter
22-Apr-06, 22:45
Nope actually my eliphants have told me they prefer Evans over Tescos. Only because Tescos dont sell jumbo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlarge sizes in flowery blouses.

changilass
22-Apr-06, 23:21
Nope actually my eliphants have told me they prefer Evans over Tescos. Only because Tescos dont sell jumbo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlarge sizes in flowery blouses.

Mu elephant prefers asda so looks as though I will have to shop in Thurso, having said that I had a hard job keeping him out of homebase the other day

Lucy
22-Apr-06, 23:26
When i am in Inverness i always shop at tesco's. So why not stay at home and spend even more money in tesco's at the same time as keeping some-one local in a job. I'm all for it. I live quite close to where it will hopefully be built and i am even not too bothered about the increase in traffic there will be in my street. It's about time Wick was brought into the 21st century. If you don't want a tesco's you don't have to shop there. You have the choice.

unicorn
22-Apr-06, 23:33
I always buy my books in Tesco's when I go through Inverness and the other day I was in somerfield and saw a book I fancied at £4.99 but i'm going to inverness soon so I thought forget it I will get it in tesco for £3.89 when I am there anyway, cheap maybe but hey why pay extra when I don't have to.

Chobbersjnr
22-Apr-06, 23:54
wow are they selling it lol :)

THEY'D BETTER

or I'll be on to my MP:Razz

angela5
22-Apr-06, 23:54

teuchter of course they do...i bought one just the other day for nellie[lol]

http://www.himandus.net/elephanteria/elephanteria_link_banner_anim.gif
come fly way us i'll show ye!....

Chobbersjnr
22-Apr-06, 23:55
yeah....and what do they feed you on lol:roll:

if only you knew...............................

unicorn
22-Apr-06, 23:58
I'm trying to train mine to paint the fence just now....... any tips on training... she's messier than me!!!!!!!!!

angela5
23-Apr-06, 00:08
I'm trying to train mine to paint the fence just now....... any tips on training... she's messier than me!!!!!!!!!
http://www.himandus.net/elephanteria/gallery1_art/button_gallery1.gif (http://www.himandus.net/elephanteria/gallery1_art/main_gallery1.html)paint by numbers is a good start unicorn...

Chobbersjnr
23-Apr-06, 00:21
I overheard my father say his mother was an elephant & his father a ganoo:confused:

what does that make him??? a ganoolephant

& furthermore what does that make me??????????

now I'm worried

unicorn
23-Apr-06, 00:22
A wee gool??????

Fran
23-Apr-06, 00:32
Im longing for Tesco to come to wick because of the great CHOICE of food offered that somerfields and co-op dont have. the mens jeans at £5.50 and t-shirts at £1.25 are great and wash really well.There is a big choice of drink too and it is cheap!!My cat prefers Tesco for his food so he wants to vote yes too.

sam
23-Apr-06, 00:39
I overheard my father say his mother was an elephant & his father a ganoo:confused:

what does that make him??? a ganoolephant

& furthermore what does that make me??????????

now I'm worried

if i told you i would get banned lol:p

Gleber2
23-Apr-06, 01:01
if i told you i would get banned lol:p

Elephants are allright but to introduce Gnus into the equation is potentially disastrous.

webmannie
23-Apr-06, 08:20
Elephants are allright but to introduce Gnus into the equation is potentially disastrous.

I agree, Gnu's have pretty atrocious dress sense

http://openstuff.net/products/real/gnu_stuffed.png

Niall Fernie
23-Apr-06, 11:18
gone way off topic, thread closed...