PDA

View Full Version : Memorial garden

Rourkee
01-Dec-09, 21:01
I passed by the memorial garden at the bottom of the Black Stairs last night for the first time in many weeks. I noticed that it still has the safety fencing along the front with what appears to be little in the way of progress especially with the dry stone wall. Has this project ground to a halt again?

catran
01-Dec-09, 21:39
It certainly does not appear to be getting anywhere, a shame and a disgrace.

AfternoonDelight
02-Dec-09, 12:45
There are some safety issues with one of the walls, until a safety certificate is obtained the work cannot continue.

Kirdon
02-Dec-09, 14:42
There are some safety issues with one of the walls, until a safety certificate is obtained the work cannot continue.

How long is this going to take?. This appears to be another basic project taken over by "experts" then never finished. When this project was first put forward it was just a small garden where people could just sit and remember, since then I have heard of this and that and the other wonderful ideas but the place is still a mess. C'mon it's time to kick some "bottoms".

AfternoonDelight
02-Dec-09, 15:01
I'm sorry, I have no idea on timescales... I believe the house has had a number of different owners since the original plans were put forward and, like you say, there have been numerous alterations to these as well.

catran
02-Dec-09, 15:09
How long is this going to take?. This appears to be another basic project taken over by "experts" then never finished. When this project was first put forward it was just a small garden where people could just sit and remember, since then I have heard of this and that and the other wonderful ideas but the place is still a mess. C'mon it's time to kick some "bottoms".

Quite agree a small garden with some nice rose bushes and a little seat would suffice, but oh no, those in higher places, bigger and better ideas which never materialise a sad reflection on the times we are living in. This project should be moved forward no matter what.

Dog-eared
02-Dec-09, 16:50
Councillor Katrina MacNab is in charge of the Bank Row Memorial Garden Project.

Rourkee
02-Dec-09, 19:50

Surely the project manager/engineer would have had the condition of the walls, buildings etc. checked out before they started to pour money into the project or did they get carried away knocking things down?
If it is unsafe to continue the main project then in my opinion they should finish the wall at the front as it's starting to be demolished by "little" hands before it's complete.
The fencing then could be secured behind it to stop it falling over.
It's a well known fact that this type of fencing blows over in strong winds as it has done in the past with the risk of injuring someone.

catran
03-Dec-09, 21:30
It would appear that no-one is interested, Christmas and pressies being on top of their minds. What is the hold up with the safety certificate?

Stack Rock
03-Dec-09, 21:47
I'm sure the small dry-stone dyke at the front was almost finished - then the yobs vandalised it every weekend so the fence was errected. Although the wall looks good, in my opinion it will continue to be demolished as its an easy target to knock down. I can't see the wall being a success. Perhaps coils of barbed wire and a mine field will work as a replacement and deterrant !!!!!!