PDA

View Full Version : School age

tillygirl
22-Apr-06, 19:31
I read that a debate has re-opened on the age children should start school. Should it be different for boys who, according to the BBC news website, should start at 6, and girls start at 5? I think in some countries they don't start until they are 7. I would be most miffed if I had to do an extra year more than my brother!

young_fishin_neep
22-Apr-06, 19:36
you aint the only one that would be mifted if you had to do more years in schol than the boys! why would this be fair? wouldnt it be classed as discrimination.

kaz xx

Bingobabe
22-Apr-06, 21:43
This is total discrimination what are they on about and why treat girls and boys diffrently.I have a son and hes not at school age yet but i wouldnt be happy if he had to wait untill he is six its better to start there education as soon as possible and why deprive a boy of a year of education because there a diffrent sex.

Sianymo
22-Apr-06, 22:29
Boys or Girls, the most learning you do is between birth and 5.

Another case of the men in grey suits with not a clue and the nanny state in action me thinks!

[evil]

unicorn
22-Apr-06, 23:14
This is not a new theory, I remember over 12 years ago being told that girls are more mentally mature to start school at 5 years of age than boys and as for starting children at 4 1/2 boy's can fall behind, Having witnessed it in a few cases I always said if I had a boy I would not start him early as it is such a shame to see a child struggle at such a young age. For the difference of a year at home it is better to give them the very best start in education.

angela5
22-Apr-06, 23:22
This is not a new theory, I remember over 12 years ago being told that girls are more mentally mature to start school at 5 years of age than boys and as for starting children at 4 1/2 boy's can fall behind, Having witnessed it in a few cases I always said if I had a boy I would not start him early as it is such a shame to see a child struggle at such a young age. For the difference of a year at home it is better to give them the very best start in education.

This will be one of the cases you witnessed unicorn....
http://www.himandus.net/elephanteria/gallery3_toon/06_mmi_cogan2.gif

" i don't care if she's house broken. She can't stay in your room".

Agree with what your saying unicorn..:)

unicorn
22-Apr-06, 23:24
now that made me nearly choke on my juice angela lol :)