PDA

View Full Version : Trucks on the A9

Phill
01-Dec-09, 13:13
D'yer think it's bad enough gettin past all them big lorries on the A9 now?

How about this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8387111.stm

A 25m 18 wheeler double bendy artic'.

I want one!:cool:

northener
01-Dec-09, 13:19
Looks like good fun!:Razz

I saw the piece on BBC Breakfast this morning, I reckon it would still be easier getting past that than the 35mph muppets.

Rheghead
01-Dec-09, 13:26
Looks like good fun!:Razz

I saw the piece on BBC Breakfast this morning, I reckon it would still be easier getting past that than the 35mph muppets.

Agreed provided that a muppet doesn't drive it at 35 mph then it will be worse.:Razz

northener
01-Dec-09, 13:28
Agreed provided that a muppet doesn't drive it at 35 mph then it will be worse.:Razz

If it was driven at 30mph - the local muppets still wouldn't overtake the bloody thing.:Razz

Phill
01-Dec-09, 13:32
That's the only scary bit. The 35mph muppets trying to over take this , they'll think there in some sort of timewarp :lol::lol:

northener
01-Dec-09, 13:35
That's the only scary bit. The 35mph muppets trying to over take this , they'll think there in some sort of timewarp

I'd love to see the look on their faces (from a safe distance) once they got alongside it[lol].

I reckon the MOT would run out on the car well before they managed to finish getting past the truck:Razz.

Alice in Blunderland
01-Dec-09, 13:42
I want one!:cool:

Tut Tut as I say to my children I want doesnt get............ ;)

Pleas may I have might stand a chance. :D

Phill
01-Dec-09, 13:50

WANT ONE!

stamps feet

The Angel Of Death
01-Dec-09, 14:31
D'yer think it's bad enough gettin past all them big lorries on the A9 now?

Got stuck behind the circus once coming up from inverness to wick needless to say i wasnt bestest chuffed

changilass
01-Dec-09, 14:34
Tut Tut as I say to my children I want doesnt get............ ;)

Pretty please with a cherry on top may I have a wee shot?

Scorpio12thNov
01-Dec-09, 14:44
Gie eh biy a shiny pound coin if he can drive her off-road...;)

JimH
01-Dec-09, 15:31
I wonder how many of you realise that once a HGV leaves the Dual carriageway 10 mile north of Inverness It is limited to 40mph by law, and the drivers risk prosecution by pressing on as the majority do, including me before I retired. IF you get behind a Supermarket lorry you will know what I mean.
I have even come across one artic doing 40mph with a sign on the back saying " Sorry folks, but I am on 9 points"

Scorpio12thNov
01-Dec-09, 15:34
I wonder how many of you realise that once a HGV leaves the Dual carriageway 10 mile north of Inverness It is limited to 40mph by law, and the drivers risk prosecution by pressing on as the majority do, including me before I retired. IF you get behind a Supermarket lorry you will know what I mean.
I have even come across one artic doing 40mph with a sign on the back saying " Sorry folks, but I am on 9 points"

Also, I know that companies like Tesco give drivers bonuses if they keep to 40mph as it saves on fuel, wear & tear etc...

S&LHEN
01-Dec-09, 15:37
The nation need lorries to survive so bring it on i say :lol:

tonkatojo
01-Dec-09, 15:44
The nation need lorries to survive so bring it on i say :lol:

Aye I agree, but on the A9 north of Inverness ??, half the lorry's and buses take almost 2 thirds of the road on corners already. :(

Alice in Blunderland
01-Dec-09, 15:46
WANT ONE!

stamps feet

No, no, NOOOOO ! now off to sit on the naughty step for stamping your foot.

shhheeesssshhhh kids its I want I want all the time. :lol:

northener
01-Dec-09, 18:22

I realise that very well. That's why I never complain about HGV's - just plonkers who don't have the skills to overtake them when it's safe to do so.

The 40mph law should have been ditched years ago, the trucks today are more than capable of doing 60 safely.

northener
01-Dec-09, 18:24
Aye I agree, but on the A9 north of Inverness ??, half the lorry's and buses take almost 2 thirds of the road on corners already. :(

Width wise, there'sd be no difference at all. Plus the guys who designed and built this say it can take bends on the same lines as a traditional artic due to the rear-wheel steering setup.

I'd like to see it in action, it looks really interesting.

changilass
01-Dec-09, 18:24
Is the 40mph not more to do with stopping distances.

northener
01-Dec-09, 18:29
Is the 40mph not more to do with stopping distances.

Yes, the older trucks couldn't stop as quickly as cars from higher speeds. I don't know what the situation is exactly regarding control of speed when braking these days, but I'm damn sure a 2009 truck could stop from 60mph quicker than, say, a 1978 Morris Marina ever could.

Anybody know how modern trucks compare to cars regarding stopping distances?

changilass
01-Dec-09, 18:37
You are probably right there Northener.

But would a truck doing 40 not do a whore off a piece more damage than said Morris Mariner doing the same speed?

Same vein but slightly different; I think bus speed limits should deffo be lowered, just cos of the numbers involved if an accident was to happen.

northener
01-Dec-09, 18:46
You are probably right there Northener.

But would a truck doing 40 not do a whore off a piece more damage than said Morris Mariner doing the same speed?........

Fair comment, but the damage will only occur if the truck hits something.:Razz

I've had a ferret around for some figures off a couple of HGV sites - and it would appear that stopping distances for LGV/HGV's is a pretty complex issue - bearing in mind loaded/unloaded, higher CofG, tyres made for longevity as opposed to maximum grip/placement of load/bulk liquids etc, etc....I need a lie down now.

tonkatojo
01-Dec-09, 19:02
Width wise, there'sd be no difference at all. Plus the guys who designed and built this say it can take bends on the same lines as a traditional artic due to the rear-wheel steering setup.

I'd like to see it in action, it looks really interesting.

Try telling this to current bus/lorry drivers.

tonkatojo
01-Dec-09, 19:04
Fair comment, but the damage will only occur if the truck hits something.:Razz

I've had a ferret around for some figures off a couple of HGV sites - and it would appear that stopping distances for LGV/HGV's is a pretty complex issue - bearing in mind loaded/unloaded, higher CofG, tyres made for longevity as opposed to maximum grip/placement of load/bulk liquids etc, etc....I need a lie down now.

You can add whether the TAG is up or down.

Phill
01-Dec-09, 19:58
I don't know exact facts or figures but from recent experience of driving the likes of Leyland Bisons (30 years old) it takes a fair bit of winding up to get near 40mph and the braking is of no comparison to modern vehicles.

I've also seen some pretty awe inspiring halting of HGV's whilst driving up and down the motorways of this fair Kingdom, usually due to numpties and berks doing something incredulously stupid.

The speed limits need to be reviewed across the board, but also so should the licensing and driver training / examining be overhauled. Currencies & retesting should be considered and also ratings & classes for night/winter/motorway driving.
But that's a different thread.

ywindythesecond
01-Dec-09, 20:03
Every single nutter you have seen just managing to scrape in in front of a lorry will die, along with the innocent folk coming the other way if these things are allowed on the road.

Phill
01-Dec-09, 20:48
Every single nutter you have seen just managing to scrape in in front of a lorry will die, along with the innocent folk coming the other way if these things are allowed on the road.

That was one of my first thoughts, how many idiots would blindly overtake without assessing what they are overtaking, but then I see that everyday anyhow :eek:

northener
02-Dec-09, 10:43

Using the same argument, we should then ban any vehicle over a normal car length on the road.....

Rheghead
02-Dec-09, 11:13
If truckers didn't have the 'I'm driving a bigger truck than you are' ego then there'll be little appeal for these vehicles.

changilass
02-Dec-09, 11:37
I think that one applies more to the actual truck than the trailer Rheg.

And there are some whoppers.