PDA

View Full Version : Flowers to be delivered..?

edayhouse
30-Nov-09, 15:17
Hi
I am looking at sending someone some flowers just before Xmas (they stay near Glasgow) and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good flower delivery company? Looked at the interflora website and they look lovely...any others?

Thanks

catherine nicol
30-Nov-09, 15:49
I have used this company and delivery and quality have been excellent

http://www.fineflora.co.uk/index.cfm/page/products/title/Flowers

poppett
30-Nov-09, 15:55
When sending flowers south I usually just get a number of a local florist near to the recipient and tell them what I want and fix a delivered price. This has always worked out at half the price of interflora so more flowers for your money.

I have received flowers from Jersey flowers by post before but they were not the best quality having been held up in the mail over the weekend.

Hibeechick
30-Nov-09, 15:56
I have a system where I use specially designed transport boxing where I can send flowers anywhere on the mainland uk. Have been doing this for over a year now and have had very good feed back from it :) The flowers always arrive next day before 12 noon.

Allsorts
30-Nov-09, 16:39
I sent some lovely ones to my mother in law from Asda and they lasted for ages.

Bobinovich
30-Nov-09, 18:04
I have a system where I use specially designed transport boxing where I can send flowers anywhere on the mainland uk. Have been doing this for over a year now and have had very good feed back from it :) The flowers always arrive next day before 12 noon.

Darn, if only I'd known. When I visited some friends in Wales earlier in the year I contacted a flower shop local to them to deliver a bouquet which worked out fine, but I'd have preferred to give the business locally. Certainly won't deal with Interflora again - I find them overpriced for what you get.

catherine nicol
01-Dec-09, 09:26
I can vouch for Amanda's quality using the overnight delivery boxed flowers as I received an excellent boxed mix of flowers from her mum last xmas when I was living in Inverurie. I also received an arrangement from a local florist, popular I know what can I say?

Amanda's lasted about 3 weeks before I had to consider starting to thin them out whilst the local florists flowers only lasted a week in comparison. No contest, Amanda's every time.

Therefore I can Highly recommend Amanda's based on my own personal experience.

I know I gave a web address for an online flower company earlier and to clarify I can honestly say that I haven't used that website in last few years and that I only used it when sending flowers to relatives or friends living south of the border but have had no need to use within Scotland with Amanda on doorstep.

Keep it local.

Hibeechick
01-Dec-09, 16:22
Thanks Catherine! Glad you liked what was sent :)

Just to clarify though I can send anywhere mainland UK, not just Scotland, next day as long as they are ordered before 12 noon.

sjr014
01-Dec-09, 21:02
I have used marks and spencers and next and flowers were lovely!

EDDIE
01-Dec-09, 23:02
I dont mean to seam mean but if you use a lot of online florist like interflora its very expensive the vast majority of online florist like interflora all they do is when you order flowers for an area like glasgow all they do is phone a florist in glasgow to send it to the address you want it to go to and they take there cut just for ordering on your behalf its expensive you would be far better off looking up a florist in yell.com in the area were u want the flowers to go and you will pay a lot less for the same quality.
Just read what poppett says and poppett is correct ive been stung like this before

Hibeechick
02-Dec-09, 10:10
Relay companies such as Interflora and Teleflorist etc... are all out to make money for themselves. You place you're order with them, and which ever florist gets the order to deliver only gets a snippet of the amount that you have paid. Also these companies have started sending the orders themselves in boxes from warehouses. Please do not assume that because these companies are well known that they are trustworthy or indeed value for money.

Kevin Milkins
02-Dec-09, 10:40
This is a great thread.:D

It reminded me it is our wedding anniversary today and I did a dash to Tesco for flowers this morning and dug myself out of a hole.:roll:

poppett
02-Dec-09, 11:26
Naughty Kevin............you should have gone to Amanda`s.........which is where I will be going next time. Thank you Hibeechick for the insider information about the big nationals.

Anji
02-Dec-09, 17:38
This is a great thread.:D

It reminded me it is our wedding anniversary today and I did a dash to Tesco for flowers this morning and dug myself out of a hole.:roll:

Tesco? You can't give a woman anniversary flowers from Tesco and expect to remain on speaking terms with her.

EDDIE
02-Dec-09, 18:27
Tesco? You can't give a woman anniversary flowers from Tesco and expect to remain on speaking terms with her.

Why not the woman should be lucky she is getting flowers in the first place and its all about the gesture not were u bought them
If u have an iphone u can download an app were u can make the flowers up your self and send it via email even cheaper

Kevin Milkins
02-Dec-09, 23:06

LOL, after 37 years, not speaking means I don't have to listen.:lol:

Thumper
05-Dec-09, 21:54
Got another fantastic bouquet of flowers delivered today by Amanda-they are beautiful!There are even some hand dyed roses in it so thank you hibeechick for the lovely flowers and thank you airlass for thinking of me xxx

Buttercup
12-Dec-09, 15:48
I always use flowersbypost.com
Every time you buy your total spend is added to your account whenever it reaches £50 you can get a free bunch. Lovely flowers and very long lasting.:D

edayhouse
28-Jul-10, 11:51
Ok so i am about to send a Bouquet of flowers to a friend for her birthday (she lives in Thurso) worth £30 and thought that i would go on the org recommendations and go direct to Amandas florist in Wick - all was fine until they told me that they were going to charge me £5.50 delivery......thought this was a bit steep - any one else?
Will just order from Next online again as the flowers i got delivered from there last time were lovely.

Hibeechick
28-Jul-10, 12:54
Ok so i am about to send a Bouquet of flowers to a friend for her birthday (she lives in Thurso) worth £30 and thought that i would go on the org recommendations and go direct to Amandas florist in Wick - all was fine until they told me that they were going to charge me £5.50 delivery......thought this was a bit steep - any one else?
Will just order from Next online again as the flowers i got delivered from there last time were lovely.

Hi there.

Just thought I would say my piece in my defence ;)

Have you ever had to take a taxi from Wick to Thurso? Do you know how much they charge? Our deliver is only a fraction of the price but yet still have diesel to pay for, wear and tear of the vehicle and off course the drivers time.

I am sorry you misunderstood what was written on our website. As stated on our ordering pages delivery is including in the price. It did not state anywhere that it was free.

Thanks for calling anyway.

Thumper
28-Jul-10, 13:06

To be honest no its not steep,I used a Thurso florist recently as I was in Thurso and in a rush and I was charged £6.50 delivery to castletown so thats only 5 miles! £5.50 from Wick to Thurso is excellent IMO as it would easily take that in petrol to deliver anyway! Places like Next can afford to charge cheaper rates as they are a national company who use the post etc to deliver,and having a florist van arrive at your door is such a lovely suprise-plus then the neighbours know you are getting flowers delivered lol ;) x

edayhouse
28-Jul-10, 17:28
Thanks for taking the time to reply - ok i understand what you are saying about petrol etc however surely you must be delivering to more than one address in Thurso in a day - i would think it would be a fair few therefore do you not think that £5.50 is rather a steep cost to add onto the cost of the flowers? If you had said something like £3 delivery then ok but an additional £5.50 would have taken the price well over what i would be willing to spend.
Once again thanks for your reply

Bernie
28-Jul-10, 17:52
Just looking on here for recs for flowers to go to my mums and come on this post.
I am down near Aberdeen and the local florists all charge delivery of between £3 and £7, £3 if it is delivery within a mile or so and if you need to send out of town you wont get less than £7, if they do do it cheaper it comes out of the size of bouquet.
I have sent flowers by M&S and Next before but find that while the photo looks good I get a much larger bunch of nicer flowers by getting them from a proper florist
I actually think £5-50 delivery is cheap for a round trip of nearly 40 miles.
I wouldnt think there is any gaurantee that the florist would have another order that day, and even if they have at £5-50 that would just cover a gallon of fuel, not the drivers wage, the cost of the vehicle, wear and tear etc. I get an allowance of 29p per mile (some companies and IR give 40p)for covering the use of my private vehicle when I have to use it in work time (and I am getting my hourly work rate as well) so if I delivered your flowers from my work it would cost 40 miles x 29p =£11.60 and one hrs work time at £6-00 per hour total £17-60, so even if the florist has 3 deliveries in the same area they still wouldnt be covering van/driver/fuel costs.
xx

dragonfly
28-Jul-10, 18:08
Thanks for taking the time to reply - ok i understand what you are saying about petrol etc however surely you must be delivering to more than one address in Thurso in a day - i would think it would be a fair few therefore do you not think that £5.50 is rather a steep cost to add onto the cost of the flowers? If you had said something like £3 delivery then ok but an additional £5.50 would have taken the price well over what i would be willing to spend.
Once again thanks for your reply

sorry but I think £5.50 is very reasonable for delivery charge - putting it in perspective its the cost of a pack of smokes, cheaper than a good bottle of wine. You could have gone through to Wick yourself, collected them from Amanda's shop and delivered them in person?

As said by others, the bouquets of flowers you get locally are far better value than those from faceless companies

edayhouse
28-Jul-10, 19:27
would not want to collect myself from Amandas florist in Wick cause that would just defeat the purpose of sending flowers!!
Have opted out for a online company that i have used before and have found there flowers really nice - just thought that i would stay local but perhaps not.

bagpuss
28-Jul-10, 19:57
online can work well- but lacks the personal touch- a friend sent me a plant from M&S- which when it arrived was lovely- but the delivery was held up and it took over 1o days to arrive.

I think what Amanda and her supporters are telling you is that this involves the personal touch- which is sometimes what is needed.

if you're counting the pennies- as grudging a small delivery charge implies- why not get the flowers from a supermarket - do a bit of floral art with them yourself and deliver them in person? If its just to Thurso you could even take the bus

Dadie
28-Jul-10, 19:57
What about using buds and blooms?
As its in Thurso the delivery charges may be less.
Or whats the other one called in the precinct?

joe
28-Jul-10, 21:50
Hi you could have gone to the flower shop in Wick and Jane or any of her excellent staff would have arranged for flowers to be sent from her shop in Thurso always delighted with anything I have had from The Flower Shop.

Thumper
29-Jul-10, 07:40
ANY flowershop will charge delivery! IMO its unfair to suggest other shops on this thread when the poster was complaining about delivery charges from Amanadas,the others people have suggested will also charge delivery!Some will charge a LOT more than £5.50 too! At the end of the day everyone knows when you send flowers there WILL be a delivery charge,had you simply said that you wanted to spend £30 including the delivery charge then there would be no need to complain,I feel sorry for Amanda having to take stick about this! Oh and my pal sent me flowers from amandas-twice and both lasted well over 2 weeks and looked amazing,much longer than other flowers I have recieved locally x

upolian
29-Jul-10, 08:59
Would definately recommend amandas flower shop in wick :D

edayhouse
29-Jul-10, 09:16
Everyone is entitled to there own opinions. I think if anything then this thread has been more of a boost than a get at Amandas Florist....99% have said that the flowers, service etc is excellent so well done to her and yes maybe sometime i might take a trip through to Wick and go in and buy some flowers but i still stick by what i say in that i think thet £5.50 is really expensive for delivery.

I spoke to my friend in Aberdeen last night who sends flowers reguarly and she agrees that £5.50 is expensive however the company she uses might just hide the cost of delivery in the cost of the flowers who knows....

windness
29-Jul-10, 12:44
I think £5.50 is quite fair on the condition that you get to choose which day you want them delivered and whether you want morning or afternoon delivery.

telfordstar
29-Jul-10, 14:03
Everyone is entitled to there own opinions. I think if anything then this thread has been more of a boost than a get at Amandas Florist....99% have said that the flowers, service etc is excellent so well done to her and yes maybe sometime i might take a trip through to Wick and go in and buy some flowers but i still stick by what i say in that i think thet £5.50 is really expensive for delivery.

I spoke to my friend in Aberdeen last night who sends flowers reguarly and she agrees that £5.50 is expensive however the company she uses might just hide the cost of delivery in the cost of the flowers who knows....

I could see your point if it was a local delivery and they were charging £5.50 for delivery but from Wick to Thurso! Me personally id of said ok then great but make the bunch of flowers to £25 that way you wouldnt go over what you wanted to spend, common sense really.

If that isnt acceptable then go elsewhere perhaps a thurso florist!

Online flowers maybe cheaper but alot dont last a bang.

madmax
29-Jul-10, 14:06
I have placed an order with amandas for some specific flowers that need to be ordered in, excellent help and advice, they care about what they put out unlike Interflora etc who just pass the order onto whatever florist is closest to the delivery address.
I personally dont mind paying the delivery charge, I'm in Thurso so the charge is very reasonable coming all the way from Wick.
Its no different from Indian or Chinese delivery charges, I'm sure folk dont mind paying them when they've had a few and cant drive down to collect it!!
Most other companies include the delivery charges within the prices and then claim to be doing Free delivery.......
Anyway.... I dont mind paying delivery in return for excellent customer service. :)
Nothing is for free in the world today.

Anyway.....If you're buying flowers etc for a loved one does it really matter what it costs? The look on their face when they receive them is worth it :) :)