PDA

View Full Version : Fact of the Day

Tugmistress
22-Apr-06, 13:13
On this day, 1838 the 703-ton Sirius, built in Leith and chartered to the American Julius Smith, became the first vessel to cross the Atlantic powered entirely by steam. The ship limped into New York 18 days after setting off from Cork, Ireland, having used all of its coal reserves and much of its timber superstructure to complete the voyage.

Kenn
22-Apr-06, 22:24
Thanks once again for a good piece of information , I seem to remember hearing about that some where in the distant past and before any one makes any ribbald comments, I might be old but I aint that ancient!

changilass
22-Apr-06, 23:26
Thanks once again for a good piece of information , I seem to remember hearing about that some where in the distant past and before any one makes any ribbald comments, I might be old but I aint that ancient!

We wouldn't dare, you might put a spell on us. lol

golach
23-Apr-06, 00:22
On this day, 1838 the 703-ton Sirius, built in Leith and chartered to the American Julius Smith, became the first vessel to cross the Atlantic powered entirely by steam. The ship limped into New York 18 days after setting off from Cork, Ireland, having used all of its coal reserves and much of its timber superstructure to complete the voyage.
In Feb 1958 MV Dundee built in Burntisland in Fife in 1957 for the Dundee Perth and London Shipping Coy GT1781 from Dublin to Philidelphia Usa with a crew of 28 all Scots and all East Coasters except the Donkeyman who was from Stornaway. We had 100 "E type" Jaguars on board and 500 tonnes of frozen Irish Beef for the US Army....so we were what is termed light ship, I was the Cabin Boy, one step above the Galley Boy and one step below the ships cat, the February Gales all Westerly made us hove too in the middle of the Atlantic for 5 days as our top speed was 10 knots, therefore we took 25 days to cross the Atlantic...... a big difference from 1838.....not a lot though