PDA

View Full Version : quick cold cures needed!

Thumper
29-Nov-09, 19:36
I have come down with a bad cold and need to be rid of it for Tuesday as I am visiting my Mum in hospital and dont want to pass it on to her-or be refused access to visit so any cures you have let me know please!x

cuddlepop
29-Nov-09, 19:51
I have come down with a bad cold and need to be rid of it for Tuesday as I am visiting my Mum in hospital and dont want to pass it on to her-or be refused access to visit so any cures you have let me know please!x

Now I dont know if you'll stomach this but its worth a try.

Large measure of black rum,large measure freshly squeezed orange juice,sprinkle of mixed spice & some grated ginger.
Heat gently and drink.

I found it tasted nice but boy did I have a hangover next day.:lol:....maybe thats why I didnt feel I had a cold..:roll:

Fingers crossed your better by Tuesday.:D

BillyEspie
29-Nov-09, 20:01
right wat you do is turn your heating on full, then go to the bathroom turn the hot tap on and fill your bath with just pure roasting hot water if you have albas oil or vicks vapour rub stick loads of it in the water stay in the room with the door and window closed, then when the bath is half filled fill the rest up with cold water till its really nice to jump into it, when you lie for long enough and feel your eyes nippin you know tha albas oil or vicks vapour rub is workin and it's time to get out, when completely dry, go to the kitchen pour a glass of whiskey get some lemon juice and suger, make a hot toddy and got lie in your bed you'll feel tired but that means everything is working and you will soon fall asleep then when you awaken you'll feel brighter than the day before and it will disappear during the day. well it works for me......

Thumper
29-Nov-09, 20:15
THanks guys-I am away to try a little of both so it may be a while before I am online again :eek: x

Dadie
29-Nov-09, 20:17
I go for the hot bath, paracetamol, vicks on my chest and back and feet with socks and bed approach.
Vaseline round my nose if its getting sore from wiping...
Vit C ....usually od on fresh orange juice but the side effect from that takes your mind off the cold:eek:

Hubby drowns his colds with hot toddies with whiskey though!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
29-Nov-09, 20:35
Keep drinking lots of juice,hot lemon,hot water.Cos yer cold is de-hydrating yer body wi losing all the moisture fae yer nose.Bogies,snot,etc.So the more ye replenish yer bogie loss the better ye will feel.:)

Dadie
29-Nov-09, 21:47
I also use my veg steamer (never been used for food) with karvol drops or vicks in my bedroom to steam me as I sleep.
A hot curry is supposed to be good for a cold, all them chillies and garlic but I cant face one if I have a cold but will beg mum for chicken and rice soup:lol:

roadbowler
29-Nov-09, 22:30
hot lemon and honey. Vitamin c up to 3g a day with vit c drinks in abundance. Zinc. Chopped garlic and cayenne pepper in cider vinegar.. 25 ml morning night! Yowza!

poppett
29-Nov-09, 22:41
Lemsip with a small amount of honey ...........and a large tot of black rum added in. Take it to bed to drink as the effect for a good sleep is immediate.

onecalledk
30-Nov-09, 00:04
hi

try 4 drops of eucalyptus oil and 2 drops of tea tree oil in a hot bath, sit in the bath for at least 20 minutes and this should ease your cold.

if you have an oil burner then burn a few drops of tea tree oil , this will kill the germs lurking about.

K

Metalattakk
30-Nov-09, 00:27
A wise old pal of mine once said to me: "If you let a cold run its course naturally, it'll be clear in a fortnight. However, if you take something for it, you'll be better in two weeks."

And he's right, y'know.

Ash
30-Nov-09, 09:48
well me and the wee one have had this awful cold, which is slowly going but we both have sore throats and a cough so off to the docs today to see if can get an antibiotic as i get married on friday! feel awful :(

grandma
30-Nov-09, 10:52
Echinacea is a herb I use whenever I have a cold and it clears it up in no time at all. The earlier on you use it the better. You can get it in tablet form in any chemist.

Thumper
30-Nov-09, 12:40
Thanks guys for all the tips-I did feel better for a while but now I am starting to go down hill again!Think I may have to forget about visiting my Mum-the last thing she needs is this right now :( x

roadbowler
30-Nov-09, 12:56
echinacea is a brilliant herb as a prophylaxis or at the Very first sign of a cold. Taken too late it can lock colds in as well as it can lock them out as it isn't actually an anti-viral, only behaves like one by stimulating an immune response. How long it will be available after the eu regulations come into full force we don't know. :-(

cuddlepop
30-Nov-09, 16:18
Thanks guys for all the tips-I did feel better for a while but now I am starting to go down hill again!Think I may have to forget about visiting my Mum-the last thing she needs is this right now :( x

If you had a bad day today then hopefully tomorrow will be a good day.

So many people have these colds where its good day bad day,bad day good day.

Total bed rest should do the trick Thumper so get back in your burrow till tomorrow.;)

BINBOB
30-Nov-09, 16:23
No such thing as fast cure for a cold............but do hope u feel better soon.;)

JimH
30-Nov-09, 22:30
Unfortunately there is no cure for the common cold, lots of available medicines will help alleviate the symptoms, but you will not be rid of it until it's run it's course. Hope you feel better soon.

upolian
01-Dec-09, 11:15
did ya get rid of the cold?hope ya get better soon if ya didnt;)

Thumper
02-Dec-09, 09:16
Thanks guys I did get rid of it but decided that it would stil be stupid to visit mum when I was carrying the germs so didnt get to see her.Maybe for the best though as she doesnt need this on top of everything else x

cuddlepop
02-Dec-09, 16:41
Thanks guys I did get rid of it but decided that it would stil be stupid to visit mum when I was carrying the germs so didnt get to see her.Maybe for the best though as she doesnt need this on top of everything else x

Glad your feeling better,hopefully you'l get to see your mum soon.:)

George Brims
02-Dec-09, 22:40
Thumper, if there was a cure for the common cold, don't you think it would have been on the news or in the papers? I do believe a number of people might be interested in such a story, myself included. There are 17 people where I work, and 16 of them have a cold or flu right now. I (the exception) feel like there's a sword dangling by a thread over me.

Thumper
03-Dec-09, 08:36
Thumper, if there was a cure for the common cold, don't you think it would have been on the news or in the papers? I do believe a number of people might be interested in such a story, myself included. There are 17 people where I work, and 16 of them have a cold or flu right now. I (the exception) feel like there's a sword dangling by a thread over me.

Yes George I do know that,I should have worded my query better,I meant is there anything that helps alleviate the symptoms as I was desperate to go and see my mum :( x

Venture
03-Dec-09, 09:24
I hope your cold is improving Thumper. Fingers crossed you get to see your Mum soon.;)

achingale
03-Dec-09, 10:47
Well I have just succumbed to it. I feel awful! I decided to take the day off work because I feel so bad. I will look forward to my hot toddy at bedtime. :(

Joefitz
03-Dec-09, 18:23
Check your PM, Thumper.