PDA

View Full Version : Tesco planning

Dali
22-Apr-06, 12:40
How many of you will be going to the meeting to show support ?

If Tesco does get permision i hope to not see any of the 10 people who objected shopping there .

cookie
22-Apr-06, 13:02
WAS JUST WONDERING WHERE AND WHEN IS THE MEETING?IF I CAN MANAGE TO GO I WILL TO SHOW MY SUPPORT!:grin:

knightofeth
22-Apr-06, 13:09
WAS JUST WONDERING WHERE AND WHEN IS THE MEETING?IF I CAN MANAGE TO GO I WILL TO SHOW MY SUPPORT!:grin:

From the front page of caithness.org :

Tesco Planning Application To Be Heard On Monday 24 April
Tesco Planning Application - there are 10 letters of objection including one from Green MSP Eleanor Scott and 93 letters of support. The meeting of the Caithness Planning, Development, Europe and Tourism Committee will take place in FLAGSTONES ROOM, MORVEN BUILDING, NORTH HIGHLAND COLLEGE, ORMLIE ROAD, THURSO, on MONDAY 24TH APRIL, 2006, at 10am. All planning meetings are open to members of the public.

Unfortunately I am working at the time. I hope anyone who can go does go though.

cookie
22-Apr-06, 13:14
Thanks for that but unfortunatley i won't manage because i'll be at work!Hope the meeting gets a good attendance from the people that do support TESCO coming to wick.

willowbankbear
22-Apr-06, 14:23
What on earth has it got to do ith her?

Keep your nose out please.[mad]

Zambo
22-Apr-06, 14:50
If I could go to the meeting, I would definitely be there to show my support, but I have to work.

I hope there is a lot of support - I really think it would be good for Wick to have Tesco's.

peter macdonald
22-Apr-06, 21:30
I really dont understand the logic of this Scott woman . She is happy to see car loads of people go down to Tescos in Inverness from Caithness and North Sutherland to do shopping using petrol and causing wear and tear on the A9 I just dont think she realises how much this happens !!
I think she should take a look outside Homebase in Wick this last week and see local people purchasing things they would have travelled to Inverness to buy before It does save a lot of petrol to shop locally!!!!!! I thought the Green party were against squandering resources and pollution
If this is the standard of their spokespeople then I will not be voting for them again

changilass
22-Apr-06, 21:52
I really dont understand the logic of this Scott woman . She is happy to see car loads of people go down to Tescos in Inverness from Caithness and North Sutherland to do shopping using petrol and causing wear and tear on the A9 I just dont think she realises how much this happens !!
I think she should take a look outside Homebase in Wick this last week and see local people purchasing things they would have travelled to Inverness to buy before It does save a lot of petrol to shop locally!!!!!! I thought the Green party were against squandering resources and pollution
If this is the standard of their spokespeople then I will not be voting for them again

Well said Peter, have just had this argument with another orger via messenger

Mr P Cannop
22-Apr-06, 22:02
i would go to the meeting but am working when the meeting takes place i support the new tescos

Venture
22-Apr-06, 22:28
Its a shame that the meeting is in Thurso as Im sure a lot of Wick folk would have gone had it been held here. I notice Somerfields and Co-op are amongst the objectors.

footie chick
22-Apr-06, 22:31
Its a shame that the meeting is in Thurso as Im sure a lot of Wick folk would have gone had it been held here. I notice Somerfields and Co-op are amongst the objectors.

I wonder why????

robbain
22-Apr-06, 23:05
People like Eleanor Scott (MSP) Scottish Green Party from Inverness, should keep out of affairs that are no concern to her, it is up to the people of Caithness, her and her partner Rob Gibson (MSP) Scottish National Party got to be MSPs through the back door of Highlands and Islands regional list. They weren't voted by me, so they should keep quiet and leave things to people of Caithness. I am quite happy for any major business retails companies come to Caithness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter macdonald
If this is the standard of their spokespeople then I will not be voting for them again.

I am totally agree with Peter's view. We should not need to travel to Inverness let the major business retails companies come to Caithness.

Doolally
23-Apr-06, 13:16
Unless it's different from the normal planning meeting, it shouldn't make much difference whether anyone goes or not. You're not allowed to speak for or against any development within the meeting although you are allowed to listen.

Hundreds of people appearing and listening would may no difference as the Councillors wouldn't know who was for or against.

Dali
23-Apr-06, 17:04
Get to find out the outcome quicker tho :)
I will put on a I SUPPORT TESCO badge .

ullevi
23-Apr-06, 19:57
Can you explain why you all so much want Tesco?

changilass
23-Apr-06, 20:00

Cheaper prices, more choice, decent customer service, reasonable opening hours. Need I go on

ullevi
23-Apr-06, 20:05
Does the Somerfield not give you long enough opening hours?

Cheaper prices well you will find out you will no doubt spend more in Tescos as there pricing system is only really a good saving if you buy in bulk

With the level of excitement Tesco receives on this board and in Caithness in general you would think they give the Produce away

golach
23-Apr-06, 20:06
I hope it is a Tesco Supermarket that the planning permission is being asked for and NOT a Express Tesco shop...which are 15% dearer than the supermarket

peedie man
23-Apr-06, 20:08
if you had to sit in a car outside tesco in inverness for what seems like hours while the wife gets a little shopping you would want a tesco in wick

obiron
23-Apr-06, 20:12
If you do your shopping in somerfield like a few of us do you'd notice that every week things go up. it seems to be the things that you use a lot off. for example i like irn bru it was £1.29 but now is £1.45 not too big a diffrence really but if you add up all those pennies they soon mount up.

Billy Boy
23-Apr-06, 20:13
if you had to sit in a car outside tesco in inverness for what seems like hours while the wife gets a little shopping you would want a tesco in wick

would'nt it be quicker going in and helping her or do you find it costs when you go to help like me:lol:

ullevi
23-Apr-06, 20:14
A common complaint there mate

Tesco does not =Cheaper

ullevi
23-Apr-06, 20:15
If you do your shopping in somerfield like a few of us do you'd notice that every week things go up. it seems to be the things that you use a lot off. for example i like irn bru it was £1.29 but now is £1.45 not too big a diffrence really but if you add up all those pennies they soon mount up.

Do you not think this is a common policy of all Supermarkets not just Somerfields

obiron
23-Apr-06, 20:20
probably is but when morrisons had it i seemed to get more for my money. the other day i had just over half a trolley and it was over £60 and only £4 was spent on beer. its ridiculous.

ullevi
23-Apr-06, 20:24
Agree that Morrisons is better than most of the supermarkets just seems that the people are so keen on Tescos when all supermarkets sell the same produce

obiron
23-Apr-06, 20:26
morrisons had more for your money but the quality was not there in the fresh stuff. its a long way better at somerfield.

changilass
23-Apr-06, 20:27
Agree that Morrisons is better than most of the supermarkets just seems that the people are so keen on Tescos when all supermarkets sell the same produce

You try getting Vitalite in Somerfields, they do not all sell the same, and they all have their own suppliers of fresh produce

Billy Boy
23-Apr-06, 20:31
probably is but when morrisons had it i seemed to get more for my money. the other day i had just over half a trolley and it was over £60 and only £4 was spent on beer. its ridiculous.

when morrisons was up here they charged more for everything than in inverness;fact[mad]

obiron
23-Apr-06, 20:49
when morrisons was up here they charged more for everything than in inverness;fact[mad]

probably did but the big stores have a price structure depending on what is in your town. so when tescos come the prices might be different in somerfield to keep in competition. thats if they dont close somerfield down.

Chillie
23-Apr-06, 21:02
morrisons had more for your money but the quality was not there in the fresh stuff. its a long way better at somerfield.

Away with yourself to obiron or further, when Morrisons took over the quality of fresh foods were out of this world:p, and when back to Somerfeild way down hill again not the same selection or the freshness of produce.

I do belive the staff training is far more superior in Morrisons than it is with Somerfeilds. In Wick somerfeild there is always dead or rooting fruit and veg and the staff just look at you in a daze when you ask for somthing which is not displayed, roll on Tesco's to give all a shake up.

dragonfly
23-Apr-06, 21:23

Decent selection of fruit & vegetables/ salads stuff at decent prices
Children's, Adults clothes at decent prices
better selection of electrical goods at decent prices

I could go on but it would be boring :Razz

ullevi
23-Apr-06, 21:33
Cheap Fruit and Veg surely can be had in Caithness it has an abundance of farms the same for Meat described as the best in scotland by many

Cheap clothes has always been available in Caithness do you not remember Billie Banks in the Market Square or Hastigrow Filling Station

dragonfly
23-Apr-06, 21:47
sorry, but I don't want to spend the precious time I have at weekends traipsing around the caithness farms looking for a fresh cabbage etc, as for meat I always buy that from butchers so its local anyway.

should have said cheap FASHIONABLE clothes that are available now not 10 or more years ago

ullevi
23-Apr-06, 22:04
The butchers usually have fresh veg as well just purchase that when your in there?

I would hardly call Tescos clothes fashionable but that is another story

Billy Boy
23-Apr-06, 22:06
Away with yourself to obiron or further, when Morrisons took over the quality of fresh foods were out of this world:p, and when back to Somerfeild way down hill again not the same selection or the freshness of produce.

I do belive the staff training is far more superior in Morrisons than it is with Somerfeilds. In Wick somerfeild there is always dead or rooting fruit and veg and the staff just look at you in a daze when you ask for somthing which is not displayed, roll on Tesco's to give all a shake up.

i went into somerfields in wick today for tomatos and ended up not bothering as there were so many packets with fur coats on them its disgusting and no assistants in sight:(

dirdyweeker
23-Apr-06, 22:07

Love that comment and am sure on that basis we may just get one in Wick!

krieve
24-Apr-06, 13:08
Did anyone go to the tesco meeting then?:grin:

mccaugm
24-Apr-06, 13:12
I moved to this area from Ross-Shire 6 months ago and find the local supermarkets expensive for basic things. In Ross-Shire I could order my shopping online and have it delivered at a time that suited me. Don't get me wrong I do like living here but this is definitely one of the drawbacks.
The Co-Op do deliver to my area once a week but I have to go to the shop which I find inconvienent. If the Co-op or Somerfield did online shopping and reduced their prices then Tesco coming here would not be such a big deal.

pultneytooner
24-Apr-06, 13:58
Why should it bother anyone if tescos come to wick?
If you like tescos, shop there and if you don't, shop somewhere else.

krieve
24-Apr-06, 14:32
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_12_3.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk121YYGB) Tesco planning permission has been granted the store should be open before christmas.:D

carasmam
24-Apr-06, 14:45
Wahay !!! How did you find out so soon Krieve??:lol:

krieve
24-Apr-06, 14:47
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_14_7.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk121YYGB) Heard it on moray firth YIPEEE

ice box
24-Apr-06, 14:49
i just heard it on the radio cant wait something to look forward to .

Valerie Campbell
24-Apr-06, 15:00
That's brilliant news. Can't wait. The days of trailing round the supermarket every week are now numbered...

Dali
24-Apr-06, 15:04
Thats great news :)

golach
24-Apr-06, 15:13
And no Elephants were harmed at the Planning Committee Meeting either, well done Week

Julia
24-Apr-06, 15:15
'HOORAY!' she shouts accompanied by lots of celebratory silly dancing! :p

BTW I heard the other shops who are to open at the new retail park are Next and Edinburgh Woollen Mill??

willowbankbear
24-Apr-06, 15:15
Good news, whos got the contract to build it? 5 month of work probably, could be worth a go for some1?

footie chick
24-Apr-06, 15:21
Great news cant wait:) . Edinburgh Woolen Mill was in for planning permission and building warrent. Cant wait for Next think of the time saved by only having to go to Wick instead of Inverness!

willowbankbear
24-Apr-06, 15:29
Next sounds fine by me but not fussed over woollen mill, could handle it though, decent clothes at a decent price in Wick? who would have thought that 3 years ago?

Venture
24-Apr-06, 15:58
I think its great news especially for folk like me who dont get to Inverness very often. Imagine now we can do all our shopping in the one shop. Cant wait.

teuchter
24-Apr-06, 16:09
Just in time for all that christmas shopping. Perfect. Good excuse to refuse to take the female teuchter to Inverness.

changilass
24-Apr-06, 16:44
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_12_3.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk121YYGB) Tesco planning permission has been granted the store should be open before christmas.:D

Yippeeeeee