PDA

View Full Version : John Campbell and Elizabeth Sutherland

David Campbell Dick
29-Nov-09, 02:02
My grandparents were John 'Jock' Campbell and Elizabeth 'Betsy' Sutherland. They lived at 30 Willowbank (long demolished) until their deaths in old age in the 1960s.
Their six children all moved south although one granddaughter remained and worked in Dounreay. Her name was Betty Cameron and she married Ian McDonald a postman. My mother, Dinah Campbell (Dick) used to return to Wick every summer to visit her parents.
They had relatives in Mid-Clythe and Blackness. I recall stories about my grandmothers relatives being victims in a fishing tragedy in the 1850s.
Does anyone recognize these names?
Thanks
Davy Campbell Dick

trinkie
29-Nov-09, 08:55
Good Morning David,

I'm sure someone in Wick will remember your folk - they were around not too long ago, and your mother and sisters would have been at school around the same time as some who contribute to this page! The Postman will be well known I have no doubt.
So good luck.

Regarding the Fishing tragedy in 1850s, could you give more details, or contact the Highland Archives, they keep records and could even have newspaper cuttings.
The name 'Betsy Sutherland' is a very common one in Caithness and I think one such Betsy Sutherland lost her husband in the 1876 disaster.

Regards
Trinkie