PDA

View Full Version : Christmas lights in Wick- what do you think?

valleyman
28-Nov-09, 20:58
Be interested to know what folk think of the lights this year? Is it a sign of credit crunch that the lights look great at the hospital embankment but sadly a different story in the square...apparently there were quite a few sighs of disappointment at the big switch-on.
Not quite sure how we remedy this as a locality...but I get the impression from quite a few "We've been here before".
It's so easy to be critical and negative- which is not my intention.
So c'mon Wickers far & wide how could we make 2010 sensational?

AfternoonDelight
28-Nov-09, 23:56
Perhaps if people actually got behind the Christmas Lights Committee and helped them with all the work they do, storing the lights, checking them, organising the installation, raising money, meetings etc. Doreen, Wendy, Coreen, Gerry et al do a fantastic job, give up their own time with no recompense and really do need more people to help.

It's the same people on the Community Council and it's sub-groups that do most of the other things in the town as well - the Hogmany party, the flowering baskets. There may not be a Hogmany party in 2010 if more people don't muck in to help - last year they never got away from the street until 3 in the morning, but this is never mentioned.

So if anybody does have any suggestions - here's mine - find out when the next meeting is, give up and hour or so to go along, help with some fundraising and maybe, just maybe next year's lights will be exactly what you want because you have made the effort to make it so.

Well done to the Christmas Lights Committee for their hard work and effort - it's very much appreciated by the townsfolk! :Razz

Stavro
29-Nov-09, 00:01
Well done to the Christmas Lights Committee for their hard work and effort - it's very much appreciated by the townsfolk! :Razz

Agreed. Well done. :)

Invisible
29-Nov-09, 00:11
I love the Christmas lights, makes me excited like a kid waiting on xmas. I wouldn't be dissapointed at all, as AfternoonDelight (Ron Burgundy) says at least some are making an effort, which is more than I am doing if im honest. No lights in my house apart from on tree.

purplelady
29-Nov-09, 00:53
I thought they were lovely this year good to see them all working to and the hospial lites are lovely to xxxxxxx well done to all concerned xxxxxxxxxx
l

riggerboy
29-Nov-09, 08:49
Perhaps if people actually got behind the Christmas Lights Committee and helped them with all the work they do, storing the lights, checking them, organising the installation, raising money, meetings etc. Doreen, Wendy, Coreen, Gerry et al do a fantastic job, give up their own time with no recompense and really do need more people to help.

It's the same people on the Community Council and it's sub-groups that do most of the other things in the town as well - the Hogmany party, the flowering baskets. There may not be a Hogmany party in 2010 if more people don't muck in to help - last year they never got away from the street until 3 in the morning, but this is never mentioned.

So if anybody does have any suggestions - here's mine - find out when the next meeting is, give up and hour or so to go along, help with some fundraising and maybe, just maybe next year's lights will be exactly what you want because you have made the effort to make it so.

i agree completely the people of the town need to get behind the commitee and help the few that are doing it are not so young anymore and have lives to lead, surley some young blood would help, i wish i could but i never know when i`m going to be at home,

katrina
29-Nov-09, 10:20
I think the Christmas lights in the centre and other places of the town are fantastic and delightfull.:D I also take into consideration the fund raising, hard work and effort that goes into event to help give us the lights and decorations.

Well done to everyone involved:D

Twiggy
29-Nov-09, 10:38
I thought the lights were great:lol:

valleyman
29-Nov-09, 10:50
No one is disputing the hard work that folk have put in....sounds like it's the usual faithful few...so a BIG THANK YOU to those folk.
So let's not get personal against those folk. They can only work with the resources they have , both financial and time. From the threads there seems a need for more assistance. If that's the case at least advertise your need, I'm sure there are folk out there who might be able to help( or am I being naive??)
As far as folk having a personal opinion on what they think the lights are like - at least permit them to exercise their freedom of speech.

BillyEspie
29-Nov-09, 17:13
Hi there after reading your report on the xmas light around Wick well last year when i was away for a while down south upon returning i thought the lights looked really good, this year i have to say that nowt has changed but on the other matter of fund raising could you not hold a massive ceildh in one of the many parks around wick like the country show near thurso, i'm sure many of the folk up here would love to see a ceildh for a whole wekend i know i am only 27 but hey i think a fundraising ceildh some sort of other musical event as the country event has it's pride of place so something big for wick as fundraising for the lights and many other causes would be ideal, it's just a thought and freedom of speech hope this attracts someones eyes.

brandy
29-Nov-09, 18:40
well we drove thru the town last night after a trip tp inverness who also have thier lights up.. and well the wick lights are lovley even in comparrison to inverness.
i love the trees in the center.. we have abeautiful tree this year.. and even though there may not be masses of lights, what we have is beautiful..well done!

Stavro
30-Nov-09, 01:44
I thought they were lovely this year good to see them all working to and the hospial lites are lovely to xxxxxxx well done to all concerned xxxxxxxxxx
l

I, too, like the lights on the trees outside Caithness General Hospital very much. They are similar to the ones in the square at Thurso. Really nice for Yuletide. :)

Kirdon
30-Nov-09, 15:51
No one is disputing the hard work that folk have put in....sounds like it's the usual faithful few...so a BIG THANK YOU to those folk.
So let's not get personal against those folk. They can only work with the resources they have , both financial and time. From the threads there seems a need for more assistance. If that's the case at least advertise your need, I'm sure there are folk out there who might be able to help( or am I being naive??)
As far as folk having a personal opinion on what they think the lights are like - at least permit them to exercise their freedom of speech.

Can't think of a better place than an open forum to "advertise your need" so suggestions for new lights etc and offers of help can be PM'd to me and I will gather and pass on the info to the relevant organisers.

"A big problem this year was the curtain of lights for the market square has reached the end of it's life and as the council buildings are due for demolition/refurbishment this coming year, it did not make sense to buy a new set of lights as the building will be different and the lights may not be suitable." quoted from one of the tireless organisers after they were asked why it was so dark, well I for one can see their point.

northener
30-Nov-09, 16:02
I reckon the ones who were 'sighing' at the switch-on are probably the ones who expect everyone else to do something about it.........I bet they didn't rush forward to volounteer their help or financial support.

The lights look cracking, well done to those grafters who get off their arses and do something positive to make Wick look good.

On a seperate note, does anyone else think that the two bridges would look fantastic if they were permanantly lit up like Thursos'?

Kirdon
30-Nov-09, 17:31
I reckon the ones who were 'sighing' at the switch-on are probably the ones who expect everyone else to do something about it.........I bet they didn't rush forward to volounteer their help or financial support.

The lights look cracking, well done to those grafters who get off their arses and do something positive to make Wick look good.

On a seperate note, does anyone else think that the two bridges would look fantastic if they were permanantly lit up like Thursos'?

On the subject of the bridges, I was thinking the same, what do the say about great minds or was that fools differing?. The "service bridge cannot be lit as it would possibly interfere with the leading lights into the river harbour but what about the bridge street bridge? lights underneath or festoon lighting right along both sides above or both?.

KitKat
30-Nov-09, 17:38
On the subject of helping out with the Christmas lights: A small group of us used to help to put up the lights until a few years ago. None of us are 'committee' folk but we are always willing to lend a hand for the town. We used to go out in all weathers and the craic was good even when the rain was teeming down the back of our necks!
One year we just didn't get asked and we were left wondering which Sunday the lights were being put up, and suddenly there they all were, already up. We assumed that the committe had found other folk to do it, and nobody has ever asked us to help since.
There are folk out there willing to help but we aren't psychic so if the committe want help they should ask for it. A message on the org boards would be enough to get the word out.

Apart from the rather cheerless blue lights on the tree the decorations this year are as good as they ever were I reckon, and the hospital ones are beautiful.

northener
30-Nov-09, 18:05
On the subject of the bridges, I was thinking the same, what do the say about great minds or was that fools differing?. The "service bridge cannot be lit as it would possibly interfere with the leading lights into the river harbour but what about the bridge street bridge? lights underneath or festoon lighting right along both sides above or both?.

I never thought about interference with the leading lights - good point. Though I'm sure it would still be possible to light up the upstream side.

Blue or Green lights underneath Bridge St would look cracking.

AfternoonDelight
01-Dec-09, 17:00
There have been several requests for help in the paper over the past couple of months but officially for the ORG -

The Royal Burgh of Wick Commnity Council and it's sub committees, which comprise the Christmas Lights, The Flowering Baskets and the HAPPY Hogmany Party are continually on the lookout for new helpers.

If you are interested in helping out in any of these areas please PM me and I will put names and numbers forward at Community Council meetings. It won't take up too much of your spare time and the more people that we can get to help ,the less work there will be.

The Community Council have elections next November and will be looking for new blood then as well. If you are interested or have any questions, let me know. We are constantly on the lookout for enthusiastic, innovative people with ideas for the town and welcome any suggestions you may have.

Please get behind the town - we require people of all ages, sex and ability, no-one will be turned away if they are serious about helping!

Thanks. :Razz

Fran
04-Dec-09, 00:22
I think we should all be very grateful to the people who organise and put up the lights etc etc. It is a weloming sight to come into wick and see the lights. We are very lucky with our big tree and lights, some towns have none. i know that is hard to beleive but it is true. My mothers town is so dismal, no lights, no tree,...the reason - vandalism. Such a shame for the people who live there.

teenybash
04-Dec-09, 00:26
I think the Wick lights are lovely.............so well done to all those who have made it possible to brighten and bring some Christmas cheer to the town...............:)

sweetpea
04-Dec-09, 12:32
The lights are great. I have one outside my house but it's not working and I think it would be a bit of a cheek to ask them to fix it.:~(

Kirdon
04-Dec-09, 14:49
The lights are great. I have one outside my house but it's not working and I think it would be a bit of a cheek to ask them to fix it.:~(

I am told they are busy trying to sort out if it is the lamposts or the lights that are faulty but hopefully they will all be working for the festive holidays. Don't think anybody would consider it cheek to report faults as that is just being helpful.

sweetpea
04-Dec-09, 16:23
Oh well hopefully it will be on soon:)

Tellyaddict
07-Dec-09, 22:18
The Christmas Lights Committee are looking for volunteers to help them take down the lights after christmas so a date for your diary is Sunday 10th January at 8.30am in the Market Square Wick. Look forward to seeing lots of new helpers there.

If you need any more info please pm me thanks.

highlander
07-Dec-09, 23:18
I cannot comment on the lights in wick as i have never been through at night to see them but as a fundraising idea, why not have a collection for a candle (bulb) of rememberance for the loved ones who will not be with you at christmas, maybe this idea is already in use but im sure there would be many who would donate to this.

Fran
08-Dec-09, 02:47
This is done by the hospice. they held their service and lit the tree at the hospital yesterday evening. I was dissapointed i couldn't get to it this year.

AfternoonDelight
08-Dec-09, 23:04
The Christmas Lights Committee are looking for volunteers to help them take down the lights after christmas so a date for your diary is Sunday 10th January at 8.30am in the Market Square Wick. Look forward to seeing lots of new helpers there.

If you need any more info please pm me thanks.

Fingers crossed for lots of local helpers then, Tellyaddict!! ;)

Kirdon
09-Dec-09, 23:41
Oh well hopefully it will be on soon:)

Seen them out tonight, so did they get your one working Sweetpea or didn't you report it?

Leanne
09-Dec-09, 23:56
The Christmas Lights Committee are looking for volunteers to help them take down the lights after christmas so a date for your diary is Sunday 10th January at 8.30am in the Market Square Wick.

Isn't that bad luck? I thought if you left them up after the 5th you couldn't take them down till easter...

Fran
10-Dec-09, 01:33
I have christmas lights to put up on the small tree in my garden if i will be able to.

Sizzled&Stirred
10-Dec-09, 11:00
i am lead to believe the lights for the curtain of lights are corroded. obviously not meant to be used in salty atmosphere.what happened to trees on council buildings and town hall :confused

Kirdon
10-Dec-09, 11:19
i am lead to believe the lights for the curtain of lights are corroded. obviously not meant to be used in salty atmosphere.what happened to trees on council buildings and town hall :confused

The main curtain of lights in the market square has reached the stage that it is beyond economical repair due to age not corrosion, (as stated in my previous post) and was external lightining up to all standards. The small curtain of lights outside "Morags" although supposed to be up to the relevant standards, only lasted last year before checks while storing revealed corrosion and it was put back to the supplier and a refund given. The trees on the council building and town hall were, altough nice to look at, not well designed and were a maintenace nightmare, they have been replaced with new trees on the council buildings and hopefully when budgets etc allow also on the town hall.