PDA

View Full Version : Growing Morning Glory and Trilliums

Ricco
22-Apr-06, 07:13
Help!! Does anyone have any idea how to successfully grow the above? My Morning Glories always come up spindley and sickly, and the Trilliums die before they flower (and they are expensive).:confused:

Mother Bear
22-Apr-06, 09:13
Hi,
can't be of much help really....I have just sown m/g seeds in the greenhouse, and intend to grow them in there as a showpiece. If you say yours always grow spindly, I wonder if 'pinching them out' in the early stages will help, to make them more bushy, as done with sweet peas and fuschia's. If you are really down in Berkshire , our gardening climes are quite different!
No experience of trilliums I'm afraid, but they do look nice.
Try a 'google' on them, I am sure you will find some advice somewhere.
I go to www.gardenerscorner.co.uk for advice...someone will know the answer there! Happy gardening!

Gus
30-Apr-06, 23:31
Hi,

Morning Glory ideally needs to be sown where you want it to grow - they hate any disturbance and will die if re-potted. If the frost has finished, you should be ok, and Mother Bear was right about pinching them out. If you nick or pinch the seed and soak them overnight in warm water, they germinate a lot faster. Using peat pots can help if you want them up before the last frost (and I mention that because of our climate up here!) I've had success with planting the seeds about 1/4 of an inch deep, but was scuppered with the transplanting this year. They've all but one died. (Could have something to do with the north wind though).

Never tried Trilliums, either, but you've sown a seed yourself there and I might give them a try!

Hope this helps.

canuck
22-Aug-06, 01:52
Help!! Does anyone have any idea how to successfully grow the above? My Morning Glories always come up spindley and sickly, and the Trilliums die before they flower (and they are expensive).:confused:

Trying to grow Trilliums. You are truly worthy of the birth certificate issued to you by the Province of Ontario.

I think that you need a bit of hard, cold winter followed by a slowly emerging spring. Lots of sunny days with frosty nights. They seem to grow best in the shade. You may just have to plan a trip to utopia late May, early June.

1000 trillium blossoms to you!

canuck
24-Aug-06, 02:10
Ricco, just a reminder that trilliums are perennials. If you have a 1000 one year, you should be able to get a 1000 to grow the next year.