PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Broadband

kitty
28-Nov-09, 15:43
Hey, was thinking about getting mobile broadband but was wandering which one you all found best. Does anyone have 3 mobile broadband and if so what is the coverage like.

Thanks

:D

Dynamic Sounds
28-Nov-09, 16:01
The only mobile braodband you can get in Caithness is on O2 in the Wick area. I used it a bit earleir this year, and worked ok.

Phill
28-Nov-09, 16:12
Vodafone seems fine up here too for broadband.

3 isn't too clever apparently, we looked into it an even the guy in the store said we'd struggle up here.

Up here I'd stick with either Vodafone or O2 for broadband.
Personally I'd stick pins in my eyes before going back to O2 for anything but that's a different story.

bullielove
28-Nov-09, 17:03
dont get 3. It doesnt work. They told us it would work then when we got it it didnt. and the problems we had getting them to take it back. My 3 mobile phone works fine but broadband stay well clear.

EDDIE
28-Nov-09, 18:13
Hey, was thinking about getting mobile broadband but was wandering which one you all found best. Does anyone have 3 mobile broadband and if so what is the coverage like.

Thanks

:D
dont get 3 whatever you do there is no reception in thurso and if u buy it u have no comeback because you should have checked the coverage before buying
I think u will struggle to get broadband speeds up in caithness on mobilebroadband it will be more of a slower speed i used the voadfone dongle in thurso and it worked fine on the internet a bit slow.

BillyEspie
28-Nov-09, 20:15
Hi while writing this message to you i am on the voda phone mobile broadband as i bought an o2 one and i live out near canisbay and it didnt work at all it only works in around Wick so i bought the vodaphone one and i know loads of people who have voda phone and when you buy it you dont need a top up either as it's already topped up and you can buy a top up for it when the credit runs out, it's lasts for ages depending on your downloads though... hope this helps but honestly DONT ask anyone in tesco about them as they are clueless and i could tell you loads about them

EDDIE
28-Nov-09, 21:22
Hi while writing this message to you i am on the voda phone mobile broadband as i bought an o2 one and i live out near canisbay and it didnt work at all it only works in around Wick so i bought the vodaphone one and i know loads of people who have voda phone and when you buy it you dont need a top up either as it's already topped up and you can buy a top up for it when the credit runs out, it's lasts for ages depending on your downloads though... hope this helps but honestly DONT ask anyone in tesco about them as they are clueless and i could tell you loads about them
Exactly and tescos in wick sells the 3 dongle why sell something in the wick store if it wont work up there??
Good thing about the vodafone dongle as well is when u buy the top up 1gb for £15 it doesnt expire u only top up once u have used it which is prity good
I have 02 broadband on my fone and if ure in a city its ok but if ure not its prity poor

Kodiak
28-Nov-09, 21:27
Here is the Link of the Maps for the Coverage of all 3G networks and you will see for up here in Caithness the is none or very little coverage. :-

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/broadband/cellular/3g/maps/3gmaps/coverage_maps.pdf

kitty
28-Nov-09, 22:21
Thanks everyone.................

I definately won't be getting 3 now. lol

I'll have a look at the vodafone one tho :D:D

BillyEspie
28-Nov-09, 22:52
if your stuck again dont hesitate to come lookin for us all lol, i think tesco should give me a job least i know wat i'm talkin about, and everyone else

Phill
29-Nov-09, 00:02
Here is the Link of the Maps for the Coverage of all 3G networks and you will see for up here in Caithness the is none or very little coverage. :-

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/licensing/classes/broadband/cellular/3g/maps/3gmaps/coverage_maps.pdf

I'll stand to be corrected but up these parts we'll struggle to get 3G.
My experience shows GPRS (2.5G) to be the norm' for BB connections

The reason 3 won't work is because it is HSDPA, which ain't around here yet.

If you need a little light reading this'll explain the difference:
http://www.clove.co.uk/viewTechInfo.aspx?Content=3B2BD491-6465-4C70-ABDB-5A12A06C3D8D&Category=TECHINFO

purplelady
29-Nov-09, 00:57
I borrowed my fella 3 dongle and it did not work here either so would not get that x

CLARABEL
29-Nov-09, 01:35
I have an orange mobile broadband notebook and it works well up here

dx100uk
30-Nov-09, 03:19
get an o2 simcard from ebay, about £3
then unlock your dongle to work on any network [look on the internet it is easy to do]
then all you do is buy £10 credit and its unlimited for 12mts.
works a treat in wick.
dx

dessie
30-Nov-09, 12:20
HELP ME
i,m looking for some information about mobile broadband.does any of the networks.work in lybster..tired the internet and most say no. but i,m not convinced.. i think its a dongle they call it..

robbain
30-Nov-09, 13:05
Orange dongle works in Lybster

Phill
30-Nov-09, 14:32
Vodafone BB also works in Lybster.

dessie
01-Dec-09, 21:58
thank you all for the reply.s

EDDIE
01-Dec-09, 23:10
dare i say it dessie but i have had my dongle for about 3months now i hardly use it the novelty has worn of i find the internet on my phone handy for email plus i always have my phone on meall the time so i have internet?
But i would imagine up in caithness you would not get broadband speed on a dongle or phone it would be more a slowerer speed like the speed of the internet in the dial up modem days
Would a contract phone with internet be more useful to u