PDA

View Full Version : Rabbie Burns

TanyaHorne
27-Nov-09, 23:44
I am a big fan of Rabbie and watching the greatest scot on stv has brought this to my mind.
What is your favourite/best known burns song? I personally love red red rose and auld lang syne but dare say they are most popular.
Just wondered about everyone else out there?

Stavro
28-Nov-09, 00:10
Extremely difficult to pick one, but this is a particular favourite of mine. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDB0P57nQds&feature=related

peter macdonald
28-Nov-09, 00:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YK9RgEUsZE&feature=related
I think is brilliant as is John Anderson my Jo (Eddie Reader) and A mans a man for a that (Sheena Wellingtons version is brilliant)

golach
28-Nov-09, 00:34
What Man aged 27, could write a song, that gets everyone joining hands with complete strangers and singing along. "Auld Lang Syne"

peter macdonald
28-Nov-09, 00:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YK9RgEUsZE&feature=related
I think is brilliant as is John Anderson my Jo (Eddie Reader) and A mans a man for a that (Sheena Wellingtons version is brilliant)

Abewsed
28-Nov-09, 00:47
I like Tam O'Shanter and the reason is that Mr McMillan, the maths teacher at Thurso High School used to take a whole period reciting it. He was brilliant at it. A choice between maths or Rabbie Burns, a hard one eh! Though he was probably only practicing on us for Burn's Night.

Kevin Milkins
28-Nov-09, 00:51
What Man aged 27, could write a song, that gets everyone joining hands with complete strangers and singing along. "Auld Lang Syne"

A pick pocket.;)

golach
28-Nov-09, 00:57
A pick pocket.;)
Sorry Kevin, not funny, thats our Scottish National Bard, you are slagging.[disgust]

Stavro
28-Nov-09, 02:43
I like Tam O'Shanter and the reason is that Mr McMillan, the maths teacher at Thurso High School used to take a whole period reciting it. He was brilliant at it. A choice between maths or Rabbie Burns, a hard one eh! Though he was probably only practicing on us for Burn's Night.

Seems like you really enjoyed the poem.
My Grandfather used to recite this epic poem. :)

Tam o' Shanter is a wonderful, epic poem in which Burns paints a vivid picture of the drinking classes in the old Scotch town of Ayr in the late 18th century. It is populated by several unforgettable characters including of course Tam himself, his bosom pal, Souter (Cobbler) Johnnie and his own long suffering wife Kate, "Gathering her brows like gathering storm, nursing her wrath to keep it warm". We are also introduced to Kirkton Jean, the ghostly, "winsome wench", Cutty Sark and let's not forget his gallant horse, Maggie.
The tale includes humour, pathos, horror, social comment and in my opinion some of the most beautiful lines that Burns ever penned. For example, "But pleasures are like poppies spread, You sieze the flower, its bloom is shed; Or like the snow falls in the river, A moment white--then melts for ever".

Aaldtimer
28-Nov-09, 03:55
Then gently scan your brother man,
Still gentler sister Woman,
Tho' they may gang a kennin' wrang,
To step aside is human:
One point must still be greatly dark,
The moving Why they do it;
And just as lamely can ye mark,
How far perhaps they rue it.

Who made the heart,'tis he alone
Decidedly can try us,
He knows each chord it's various tone,
Each spring it's various bias,
Then at the balance let's be mute,
We never can adjust it,
What's done we partly may compute,
But know not what's resisted.

Robert Burns
The address to the unco guid, or rigidly righteous

Scorpio12thNov
28-Nov-09, 11:35
A pick pocket.;)

Haha:lol:So true...!:lol:

Kevin Milkins
28-Nov-09, 14:46
Sorry Kevin, not funny, thats our Scottish National Bard, you are slagging.[disgust]

golach, surly you can see my bit of jest was intended at what was written.
I don't do "slagging"

Haha:lol:So true...!:lol:

At least someone took the joke as it was intended.

Hoida
28-Nov-09, 16:25
I like most of Rabbie's work but 'Auld Lang Syne' has to be my favourite.

Stavro
28-Nov-09, 16:28
Who made the heart,'tis he alone
Decidedly can try us,

Robert Burns
The address to the unco guid, or rigidly righteous

I admire the fact that Burns chose to write about what he believed and no doubt the self- righteous, hypocrites of his day must have felt somewhat offended, but telling the truth matters more. :)

David Banks
28-Nov-09, 17:28

Tam O'Shanter may not be the (requested) favourite song, but I share Abewsed's love for it. At Thurso High, we had "Grannie Gunn" (no disrespect intended by the use of her nickname) for English for a while. She taught us Tam O'Shanter which included learning it by heart. A small few of us achieved that goal, and I shall be forever grateful for that experience, even if I cannot remember the whole poem now.
Songwise 'My luv is like a red red rose' would be my favourite. What a gift wi' words !!

Each
28-Nov-09, 17:47
There is hardly a better philosphy for life....

Nothing can beat the profound insights of "To a louse", and delivered with a sense of humour too.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion! :)

peter macdonald
28-Nov-09, 18:42
A parcel of rogues is neat ............` old blind dogs do it very well

Stavro
28-Nov-09, 19:41
A parcel of rogues is neat ............` old blind dogs do it very well

Very true. Have you also seen The Corries rendition, without music, on YouTube? Brilliant stuff. :)

buggyracer
28-Nov-09, 20:45
Gotta be your welcome willie stewart :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wUUp1-OOGg

Stavro
29-Nov-09, 03:16
There is hardly a better philosphy for life....

Nothing can beat the profound insights of "To a louse", and delivered with a sense of humour too.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!
It wad frae mony a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion:
What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion! :)

Really doesn't matter to the louse how rich or poor the host is. :lol: