PDA

View Full Version : Democracy and what it means to you.

Rheghead
27-Nov-09, 01:34
If you vote for a politician that has been elected by a majority but holds a minority view on certain aspects of human society, do you think democracy has failed you when he/she speaks his mind on such issues because you think the politician should represent the majority's viewpoint regardless of his own private opinion?

Metalattakk
27-Nov-09, 01:45
In women's tennis I always bet against the heterosexual.

Phill
27-Nov-09, 02:08
If you vote for a politician that has been elected by a majority but holds a minority view on certain aspects of human society, do you think democracy has failed you when he/she speaks his mind on such issues because you think the politician should represent the majority's viewpoint regardless of his own private opinion?

That sounds a bit of a mixed bag and a little difficult to follow.

If one is voting for one that has already been elected then democracy to a point has succeeded.

Generally if your voting for a politician based on their views (not the party) then the "minority view" will touch a part of the electorate regardless and may not be considered as a minority view.
(obviously because it depends on your viewpoint)

I may be naive, but I thought politicians kinda put their views forward and then the populous voted based on those views.
We don't vote for someone and then tell them what their views are....do we? :eek:

"You may please some of the people all of the time but you won't please all of the people all of the time"

Or are you suggesting that some politicians have gained office based on one set of views but then push their own personal agenda?
Never!!:cool:

NickInTheNorth
27-Nov-09, 09:48
I feel that as long as we have a political system which is so dominated by party politics that parties can dictate to their members in parliament how they vote that "democracy" is getting exactly what it deserves in the UK.

I feel we are one of the least democratic countries that espouse democracy.

Each
27-Nov-09, 15:20
If polititions only represent the interests of the majority - where does that leave the many minorities;-

Gay, Muslim, Disabled, etc etc.

This is a moral dilema that come with democracy - and a measure of our civilisation - how we accommodate and support other around us.

And just because the majority hold an opinion - it doesn't necessarily make that point of view correct - Witness current hoo-haa over climate change...

Opinions change ( from week to week in this case) - what was accepted in one year can seem utterly preposterous in the next.

In may experience - individuals may be very articulate thoughtful and intelligent - mobs however tend to be less discening and quickly latch on to the more polarising and inflamatory sound bites.

The view that only the majority view matters is populist and very dangerous...

How many of us can say that we fully understand the complete argument (scientifically, economically, morally) and therefore take their positions unequivically and with certainty - nobody can - otherwise there would be no need for democrasy - we would all be in complete agreement ! (Good old Karl Marx and the dictatorship of the prolitariate eh!)

We all have a small grasp of the subject - coming at it from diferent angles - we try to understand it as best we can and go with our gut instinct.

Our politicians have to demonstrate some ability to judge these matters and be able to make a sensible case for why they chose one way or the other.

Sometimes we have to be told unpelasant truths - and be forced to take our medicine for our own good.

tonkatojo
27-Nov-09, 15:30
Democracy is fine as long as you agree with the outcome of things, but it sucks when you don't agree. A bit like being married really.;)