PDA

View Full Version : Borders in administration!

dragonfly
26-Nov-09, 23:24
I can't believe that Borders is in administration and have been having financial troubles, Inverness is always busy!

more HERE (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iz4NqwibRos3E2zz6vlWoEuGYkIQ)

joxville
26-Nov-09, 23:32
I can't believe that Borders is in administration and have been having financial troubles, Inverness is always busy!

more HERE (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iz4NqwibRos3E2zz6vlWoEuGYkIQ)

Obviously not busy enough. :roll:

Metalattakk
27-Nov-09, 00:09
You get nowhere by standing still.

Turquoise
27-Nov-09, 11:46
I can...it was an incredibly expensive place to buy anything from. I saw Ferris Bueller's day off there for £20 by itself and got it for £5 in a boxset of 3 from Woolies!

changilass
27-Nov-09, 11:49
That's gotta be a blow for Starbucks coffee shops too, half their outlets are gonna be looking for new premises.

Scorpio12thNov
27-Nov-09, 11:54
With the likes of Amazon, eBay & any other online source, it's no wonder they have gone bust. It is impossible for High St. Retailers to compete against the ever growing online shops.

If we keep shopping online, what will happen to our High St's? If businesses keep going bust, eventually there will be nothing in our streets barr bails of Tumbleweed.

Borders is a big company, if they are struggling with business, how are the likes of Thurso & Wick going to handle it if any more shops close?

I don't shop online, I support my local county businesses, if everybody (in the UK) does the same instead of shopping online, I feel High St. Retailers will benefit...

Turquoise
27-Nov-09, 12:01
With the likes of Amazon, eBay & any other online source, it's no wonder they have gone bust. It is impossible for High St. Retailers to compete against the ever growing online shops.

If we keep shopping online, what will happen to our High St's? If businesses keep going bust, eventually there will be nothing in our streets barr bails of Tumbleweed.

Borders is a big company, if they are struggling with business, how are the likes of Thurso & Wick going to handle it if any more shops close?

I don't shop online, I support my local county businesses, if everybody (in the UK) does the same instead of shopping online, I feel High St. Retailers will benefit...

I agree completely!! There is very little now that you can't source locally in Caithness. We have the best fresh local produce in Scotland right on our doorstep. Ye canna beat some good Groat's tatties and broccoli :)

Scorpio12thNov
27-Nov-09, 12:27
I agree completely!! There is very little now that you can't source locally in Caithness. We have the best fresh local produce in Scotland right on our doorstep. Ye canna beat some good Groat's tatties and broccoli :)

Absolutely! Most of my fruit & veg is grown here, in my garden. I get eggs from my friend & I'm lucky enough to get fresh meat quite regularly from another friend. I've got lots of random ingredients, spices etc. from all around the world, I could cook a wide range of meals from a different country every night with these ingredients. & all of this was purchased within the county...

What I'm saying is this, Woolies, Borders or whatever big company may be going down next, were hugely reputable companies who at one time were making millions & creating thousands of jobs. If they can go bust as easily & as quickly as they did, just think what could happen in OUR towns, OUR county. Thurso & Wick are pretty dead as it is! & as Turquiose said, there is very little now that you can't source locally in Caithness.

sweetpea
27-Nov-09, 12:45
I found Borders too expensive so didn't buy from them. I use amazon for new releases and any other books come from local shops and second hand book sales. I agree about buying local and try to do that if possible. Personally I find it a lot cheaper.

dragonfly
27-Nov-09, 12:50
That's gotta be a blow for Starbucks coffee shops too, half their outlets are gonna be looking for new premises.

thats why I'm upset, much nicer in there than in the Eastgate Centre one

Gronnuck
27-Nov-09, 12:52
TBH I’m not surprised Borders has gone into administration. They charged too much for their wide variety of books and customers have become much more discerning. My experience of Borders began about nine or ten years ago in Edinburgh as a mature student. I found Borders Books to be among the most expensive place to source books. As I see it they shot themselves in the foot when they priced books 10% higher than anywhere else.

Hibeechick
27-Nov-09, 12:59
Might get shot down for this but going to say it anyway.

I find it hard to believe in this day and age that more of the local business' are not online. Ok it might not be viable for some of them but a good majority surely?

As for borders to im not going off topic, its a shame. Bought a lot of christmas presents from there just the other week!

Scorpio12thNov
27-Nov-09, 13:09
[quote=Hibeechick;625798]I find it hard to believe in this day and age that more of the local business' are not online.[quote]

There is the option of "if ye cane beat 'em...join 'em" & in the long run it might be the only option for local retailers, but if I want a book for example, I'd prefer to go to Jim Bews than Amazon, if I wanted a TV I'd go to Alacam before Argos & if I wanted a guitar I'd go to Pentland Music before the net...

I like to see before I buy, & I like the thought of my money been kept within the county...

& even if some local businesses did go online, I still think they would find it hard to compete against larger companies with larger stock & thier own delivery companies etc...

Gronnuck
27-Nov-09, 13:16
[quote=Hibeechick;625798]I find it hard to believe in this day and age that more of the local business' are not online.[quote]

There is the option of "if ye cane beat 'em...join 'em" & in the long run it might be the only option for local retailers, but if I want a book for example, I'd prefer to go to Jim Bews than Amazon, if I wanted a TV I'd go to Alacam before Argos & if I wanted a guitar I'd go to Pentland Music before the net...

I like to see before I buy, & I like the thought of my money been kept within the county...

& even if some local businesses did go online, I still think they would find it hard to compete against larger companies with larger stock & thier own delivery companies etc...

:D I agree. If you buy local you're investing in a relationship where you can get more help and advice should you need it.

Bobinovich
27-Nov-09, 13:18
Oh where to start on this one! I think everyone wants to support local businesses, and there are some fine examples of local businesses who price their goods attractively and bend over backwards with service - whether it be through their local shop(s) and/or their online stores.

However we're all painfully aware that many other businesses have been stinging us for years simply because they rely on the passing trade, those who don't/won't shop online (for whatever reason), and those last minute or who simply can't wait a few days for something to arrive.

To those retailers who come in the first paragraph all I can say is WELL DONE! You will continue to thrive because you move with the times and, although you may never get rich as your profit margins are probably already cut to the bone, you will be treasured in the hearts in your happy customers - they value you and will continue to use your business.

To those retailers who come under the second paragraph I can only hope you see the light before it goes out. There is very little that your customers can't buy online and most likely at a cheaper rate. More and more will buy online, and yes it will be sad to see local businesses go, but through diversity and reasonable pricing they may still have a chance to redeem themselves.

On a personal note I've pretty much stopped selling new PC systems to all but the most insistent of customers ;), while the price of 2nd user ones has hit the floor. However the servicing and design & print sides of business are healthier than ever, so a big thank you to my customers for keeping me in business :D

Hibeechick
27-Nov-09, 13:32

Yes but the option is there to do both. I do both and have had to adapt my business to compete with extremely large and worldwide companies. I have orders received online daily but i am still here in the flesh for those passing by :)

Each
27-Nov-09, 14:57
I ordered a book from borders online last week - Dont know if it will come now - its a pressie for the kids too !!!

I hope nobody baought borders gift vouchers a chrietmas presents for anyone ! :eek:

redeyedtreefrog
28-Nov-09, 14:09

I love our local produce here, especially the meat from Harrolds' Butchers in Wick and my granda's veg :D

But when it comes to buying things that are the same no matter where you get them from, like DVDs and books and gadgets, I'll always go for the cheapest shop, which tends to be online.

tonkatojo
28-Nov-09, 14:45
[quote=Scorpio12thNov;625801][quote=Hibeechick;625798]I find it hard to believe in this day and age that more of the local business' are not online.

:D I agree. If you buy local you're investing in a relationship where you can get more help and advice should you need it.

Does this mean you will now purchase things if they are 10% more or have local retailers who charge more still " shot themselves in the foot " ?? :confused

Kodiak
28-Nov-09, 23:42
Borders were just too expensive. On the few times I was in there, I do not go to Inverness often to any shopping, their prices I just could not afford.

Last time i was in I wanted to buy the "Lost Symbol by Dan Brown". They were selling it at the supposed reduced price of £15.99. I did not buy it as I could not afford it. When I got home I checked out Amazon and I bought it from them for £5.00 including P&P.

So I do believe if they had charged more competive prices they could have avoided this.

telfordstar
29-Nov-09, 15:14
As much as its nice to support local business in reality with the "credit crunch" if you can get things cheaper eslewhere I for one go for it. Its a dog eat world out there so to speak.

ShelleyCowie
29-Nov-09, 17:38
I buy from local butchers on a regular basis. Basically because their prices are far better and so is the produce.

But as for other things to buy, i go online now! Dont enjoy going down the Thurso presinct much anymore. I used to go down every day to woolies, even if it was for something really small i still went!

I agree with others, borders was rather over priced! Why pay more when you can get it for less online? :confused

telfordstar
29-Nov-09, 19:15
I buy from local butchers on a regular basis. Basically because their prices are far better and so is the produce.

But as for other things to buy, i go online now! Dont enjoy going down the Thurso presinct much anymore. I used to go down every day to woolies, even if it was for something really small i still went!

I agree with others, borders was rather over priced! Why pay more when you can get it for less online? :confused

I also buy regulary from our local butcher and also dont shop alot in stores get bargins aplenty online.

bagpuss
30-Nov-09, 21:07
I use Borders as a food stop mainly- the only place in many city retail parks where you can get a quiet seat and a cup of coffee round the clock. It will be a shame if it goes the way of Woolworths, but given it cannot often compete against supermarket discounts not wholly unexpected.

The argument in this posting did diverge into high street retailers in small towns.

I am fascinated by how many people demand that all stores- including the small shops go online however and accuse retailers of failing to move with the times if they don't. All well and good for the people on this site who can do a websearch and come up with what you want. Not so good for people who either choose not to- or who lack access- like many pensioners who expect to be able to go into a town centre and source what they need- from a paperback book to a new coat.

High street businesses- large and small are dying a death- and with them communities. Fine if we all want to stay home glued to our laptops shopping - but getting out and speaking to other people- even having a cup of tea with them is very important for many.

George Brims
30-Nov-09, 21:17
It's very weird for me to read the Borders UK was expensive. In the US they are hated in many smaller towns because they came in with discounted prices and killed off local bookshops. Canada tried to ban them altogether for that very reason (I don't know whether they were successful). However they are still in trouble in the US because they can't compete with Amazon and other online vendors (though they have their own online operation). Plus of course they just lost a bundle of money on the UK operation.

Added later: US stock price down over 10% today. I do hope they manage to hold on. It's a very handy store for me, and I spend quite a bit of time there.

Moira
30-Nov-09, 22:08
I use Borders as a food stop mainly <snip>
I am fascinated by how many people demand <snip>
High street businesses- large and small are dying a death- and with them communities. Fine if we all want to stay home glued to our laptops shopping - but getting out and speaking to other people- even having a cup of tea with them is very important for many.

I often visit Borders in Inverness. They do decent coffee at a reasonable price but I've never bought a book there yet. Too expensive.

You are preaching to the converted Bagpuss. From memory you were glad to be leaving all us "hicks" behind for the bright lights of London. Some of us are still alive and well and living in Caithness, living and working in the various communities and pouring each other cups of tea (and coffee). I'm guessing Bond Street, London has proved different.....?

gardenergirl
02-Dec-09, 16:20
I'm a Borders employee at the moment (Inverness store), and from my point of view it's pretty disastarous. It's a nice place to work and shop, and it's horrible to see it being plastered with tacky 'store closing' posters, and to see bargain hunters literally tearing the place limb from limb. It's scary to see how the prospect of a heavy discount can tear the humanity from some people! Some customers are just throwing books onto the floor if they change their mind.

Some people do call us overpriced, and prefer to go to Tesco or online, where the prices are beyond competition, but many of these same people are coming to the tills now with their arms full of discounts, telling us what a shame it is that we're closing, and how much the town will miss us.
Shopping at a decent book shop, with comfy seats and nice coffee, is an experience some people really enjoy. I've never enjoyed going to Tesco!

PS. If you have a borders gift card, you won't be able to use it for much longer, and as it is you can only use it if you spend double the amount of what's on your card... but please remember not to shout or swear at us, becuase it's not our fault!

catherine nicol
02-Dec-09, 17:02
I am gutted Broders is closing as that was the first place and sometimes the only place that I went to up at the Retail Park in Inverness. I didn't go there just for the coffee

I never failed to find a book on whatever subject I was after and browsing brought books to my hand that I would not have known existed otherwise. :D

I sometimes don't know what book I am actually looking for until I browse the shelves in the relevant subject area and am always delighted to learn of new authors that I would not otherwise have discovered in my searches online and so will miss this well stocked facility.:(