PDA

View Full Version : council tax rebate scam

mumof2
26-Nov-09, 22:54
hi just a wee message to warn others about a phone scam that's going about. i had a man phone me today to say i had been paying too much for council tax as my house was a lower band, he told me i was owed about £2,500 and asked what account i would like it transferred into. luckily i wasn't fooled and when i said i was going to the council tomorrow and would ask in there he promptly hung up! i phoned the police and told them and then tried to trace the number through bt but it turned out the call came from outwith the uk so was untraceable so there's nothing the police can do about it. just thought i'd share incase others get a similair call.

Stack Rock
26-Nov-09, 23:04
They don't miss a trick do they ?

mumof2
26-Nov-09, 23:13
i know! i knew there was something funny about it because it's not my name on the council tax form or mortgage so if it was genuine surely they'd be wanting to speak to my OH not me. imagine wanting to rip people off especially at this time of year. bunch of poops!

upolian
26-Nov-09, 23:22
i had an email from the inland revenue asking for bank details,of which to put a 200 quid tax return in to! yeh rite...inland revenue always contact via letter,these people arent very clever!

mumof2
26-Nov-09, 23:25
ha ha it says you're located in scotland, unless you can put on a really convincing pakistan accent it wisna you???

upolian
26-Nov-09, 23:28
ha ha it says you're located in scotland, unless you can put on a really convincing pakistan accent it wisna you???

theres plenty people from pakistan in scotland,dosnt mean there scottish ;)

glad you didnt fall for this though.....ill get ya next time(when i charge my battery fully)[lol]

only me
26-Nov-09, 23:31
thanks for the warning

Phill
27-Nov-09, 00:19
these people arent very clever!

Unfortunately a lot of people they try to scam ain't that clever either!

And there are plenty of greedy peeps too!!
and they know it

Anyway, I'm waiting for my $349,346,872,785,000,000,000,000,000,371,010.02 to hit me bank. And they said they only wanted to borrow me granny for a few hours..........she's been a while now though........