PDA

View Full Version : Old Domino's site

Dali
21-Apr-06, 18:36
Did anyone else get a letter through there door about the old Domino's site .
Asking if the local residents minded a cinema,bar,restaurant or night club being bult there ?

footie chick
21-Apr-06, 18:53
About time they did something with it

Billy Boy
21-Apr-06, 19:01
many a good night in dom's.a pity the way it went:confused

footie chick
21-Apr-06, 19:16

Yeah and they used to give out sausage rolls and chips! Wouldnt get that nowadays[smirk]

obiron
21-Apr-06, 19:19

your right there had many good nights there. the waterfront just didnt have the same atmosphere. not that i've been to the waterfront lately. the last time i was there it was rubbish, the dj rubbish and the music well playing the gambler in a nightclub is very odd.

obiron
21-Apr-06, 19:20
your right footie chick after a few sherries the food was great

Billy Boy
21-Apr-06, 19:23
Yeah and they used to give out sausage rolls and chips! Wouldnt get that nowadays[smirk]

very tasty after afew beer's.:Razz didn't they have to serve food to get a late opening?

footie chick
21-Apr-06, 19:32
very tasty after afew beer's.:Razz didn't they have to serve food to get a late opening?

Think they did couldn't see them being that generous:lol:

willowbankbear
21-Apr-06, 19:56
your right there had many good nights there. the waterfront just didnt have the same atmosphere. not that i've been to the waterfront lately. the last time i was there it was rubbish, the dj rubbish and the music well playing the gambler in a nightclub is very odd.

Agreed, why do they play the Gambler? was that no out in the 70`s ? Its not even spivved up into a dance tune-bizarre, think your right about atmosphere though . It used to be ok in the waterfront but that was over 10 years ago:Razz Doms was quite mad at times, especially on a saturday, they used to dish out food so that they could stay open later.

Didnt get a letter through the door though, sure its not some1 on the wind up?

SJR
21-Apr-06, 20:08
I live nearby and i never received anything about what was happening to doms.Anything(within reason)would be good.Cinema would be VERY welcome.

obiron
21-Apr-06, 20:24
[quote=Stone Roses]Agreed, why do they play the Gambler? was that no out in the 70`s ? Its not even spivved up into a dance tune-bizarre, think your right about atmosphere though . It used to be ok in the waterfront but that was over 10 years ago:Razz Doms was quite mad at times, especially on a saturday, they used to dish out food so that they could stay open later.

aye its dance music that should be on but when i used to ask for a decent tune all i used to get was dont have it. cant beat the old rave classics. the music in thurso is a bit better slightly more spivved up.

dirdyweeker
21-Apr-06, 22:01
did Dominoes ever get the asbestos cleared from its site? I remember a good few years back it being discussed as necessary but do not remember anyone mentioning it as being completed. Any asbestos will now of course be long gone in the wind!
It would be a welcome sight just to see the building brought back to life.....and the falling down building opposite!

gleeber
21-Apr-06, 23:18
It would be great if the site was developed.
I wonder how many of you Wickers come to the cinema in Thurso on a regular basis? 2 fantastic state of the art cinemas in Thurso, and as a regular user I am often only 1 of half a dozen in the place.
I'm sure any budding entrepreneur will be aware of that.

Pennylane
21-Apr-06, 23:27
Dominos ???so where was Dominos :~( sorry newbie here but hi everybody :)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
21-Apr-06, 23:45
Pennylane,Dominoe's was a cool dude place that is now the burnt oot ruin that is next to the sport shop.The wife tells me it was a really groooooooooooooovy place to go to.I remember it as a burnt oot ruin next to the sport shop.

bingo1
21-Apr-06, 23:47
About time they do something wai that place i remember it being burned down when i was a wee girl. Its a disgrace that it has been left so long. I hope they do something ace with it.

gleeber
21-Apr-06, 23:51
Dominos ???so where was Dominos :~( sorry newbie here but hi everybody :)

Dominos was the old pavilion cinema. It was converted into a nightclub but like all good timers it burnt itself oot

Pennylane
21-Apr-06, 23:59
Thanks for replys,so it must be the old picture house then, remember it well lol just in front of the BB hall, them were the days :)

Fran
22-Apr-06, 01:36
The council wanted to build flats/bedsits for the elderly on the site but the owners wouldn't sell. that was a couple of years ago.

wicker
22-Apr-06, 08:37
Isn't there something aswell that they don't know who the rightfull owners of the place are and thats another reason why nothing has been done.
Would be good to see something done with it as its just been an eyesore for what is it now just over 10 year?

P.s waterfront has a new dj now and it is all dance music with a few oldies thrown in that people request

willowbankbear
22-Apr-06, 09:05
A new dj since when?
Bring back funky phil , he was ahead of his time. Where is charlie Mcfadyen nowadays,He was best resident dj that place ever had.
Can anyone mind who the dj was in Doms?

pultneytooner
22-Apr-06, 09:17
The dj in the doms was Garry 'hammy' Hamilton. Probably the worst dj in the north.

wicker
22-Apr-06, 10:51
A new dj since when?
Bring back funky phil , he was ahead of his time. Where is charlie Mcfadyen nowadays,He was best resident dj that place ever had.
Can anyone mind who the dj was in Doms?

Since a couple of weeks ago when the other guy thankfully left caithness

Dali
23-Apr-06, 17:14
The letter was posted to all in ashley court, And was a letter of planning permision as was givin in the council with a planning outlay from a company in Dundee.
Says anyone can go and view the plans in the council office's.

Niall Fernie
23-Apr-06, 17:48
Heard it all before:
http://www.highland.gov.uk/minutes/areas/caithness/planning/minutes/caith_pl_mins_2003/caith_pl_mins_300603.htm
(item 2)

I think I am correct when I state that if there is planning permission given to a building like the old "Doms" ruin, then it can basically be left as it is for a few years until the planning permission "goes out of date" and then the owners have to apply again to prevent themselves having to do anything about the state of the place.

I wont believe there is a true desire to renovate until I see heavy plant removing the remains of the building.

pultneytooner
23-Apr-06, 19:33
Too true niall, these guys are not interested in developing the site, as far as I know the only reason it is there is because it is a listed building, maybe I am wrong.

Macwull
23-Apr-06, 20:12
Surley the council will see through it this time, Im sure this is the third time they have applied to get permission. As Niall says there just doing this so they don't have to touch the site!! Least if they don't get it then maybe we'l get rid of this wreck in the town centre!!

Chillie
24-Apr-06, 04:23
Surley the council will see through it this time, Im sure this is the third time they have applied to get permission. As Niall says there just doing this so they don't have to touch the site!! Least if they don't get it then maybe we'l get rid of this wreck in the town centre!!

So what if they get planning permmision again maybe this time they might get help to develop the site with the help of " WEBOCAS" who in the past have helped so many other local business'es ie:- Norfrost, Hunter's of Brora, Battery Factory, Viking Bowl, Caithness Glass, Grampian Records but to name a few. [mad]
May be with a little help the eye-sore might have a new pair of specs.

("WEBOCAS" this name has my right's only so hands off);)

angela5
24-Apr-06, 09:20
Not as bad as phil,not by a long way

What about Moonboots:lol:

obiron
24-Apr-06, 11:07

Cant remember him.
Mind when gary hamilton was dj he actually had some good stuff but wasnt allowed to play a lot of it cos the owners didnt think that people would dance to decent dance music. instead he had to play all the rubbish they thought the punters would like.

willowbankbear
24-Apr-06, 11:14
Black Box - Ride on time. S express -theme from s express were 2 tunes that were hammered to death in that place & when anyone went up to moan about it,He`d play it again:lol: It drove my pals mad, but there wasnt another club to go to at the time, so we just put up with it. Good old days though & no Gambler tune on

The Pepsi Challenge
24-Apr-06, 11:19
As Niall says, until the bulldozers move in, I wouldn't be getting too excited about it. Sounds like a mixture of local politics and hot air to me. Would love to see something happen, though.

willowbankbear
24-Apr-06, 12:11
Think we all would pepsi, It is an eyesore & it would definately be good for the town-centre to see a bit of re-juvenation starting there.

pultneytooner
24-Apr-06, 13:27

Hammy's apprentice, lol, he had the potential to be even worse.:lol:

carasmam
24-Apr-06, 13:47
Black Box - Ride on time. S express -theme from s express were 2 tunes that were hammered to death in that place & when anyone went up to moan about it,He`d play it again:lol: It drove my pals mad, but there wasnt another club to go to at the time, so we just put up with it. Good old days though & no Gambler tune on
Yazz and the plastic population - The only way is up and The Timewarp
Aah the memories come flooding back :lol:

willowbankbear
24-Apr-06, 15:12

Maybe we`re getting to the real reason why it was burnt out, somebody didnt want to hear Yazz anymore[lol]

erli
24-Apr-06, 16:29

I remember AC/DC - Back in Black being played quite a bit, I loved that song and still do but it wasn't the easiest song to dance to. I also remember a tune called Sunday Morning Nightmare, it was a remix of a few tunes. If anyone knows what songs were in it and who it was by, let me know. I think it had Nazareths, Broken Down Angel in it but maybe they just played that too and I'm getting confused.:confused:

carasmam
24-Apr-06, 16:31
As long as it wisna the Jive Bunny megamix Erli [lol]

erli
24-Apr-06, 16:35
As long as it wisna the Jive Bunny megamix Erli [lol]

Funny you should mention that. I was spring cleaning last week and came across a Jive Bunny tape with all their 'Greatest Hits'. It went to the skip.:o

willowbankbear
24-Apr-06, 17:39
Funny you should mention that. I was spring cleaning last week and came across a Jive Bunny tape with all their 'Greatest Hits'. It went to the skip.:o

Glad to hear it , or it may have drafted its way into the dj box in the yard or waterfront[lol]

wings
01-Jan-08, 21:51
any one know any crack about the old building at all?

dandod
01-Jan-08, 22:02
there was a thread called big beats leisure a few days ago there is some info in there.

brokencross
01-Jan-08, 22:34
Lap and pole dancing club is the latest word.

DeHaviLand
01-Jan-08, 22:56

And a cannabis cafe. What is the world coming to? [evil] ;)

dandod
02-Jan-08, 00:46
someone has just informed me it will be a male exotic dance club ther are recruiting in the market square tomorrow just bring a g-string and some baby oil;)

wings
02-Jan-08, 00:50
i take it u will be going then?

quirbal
02-Jan-08, 01:03
someone has just informed me it will be a male exotic dance club ther are recruiting in the market square tomorrow just bring a g-string and some baby oil;)

Is it OK if I wear my nappy.;)

unicorn
02-Jan-08, 01:05
whatever floats your boat :eek: [lol]

brokencross
02-Jan-08, 08:31

Sorry I must have misread the item, it is actually going to be a dance hall for immigrants from Lapland and Poland, so put away the baby oil and nappys and g-strings.

rainbow
02-Jan-08, 10:37
On the front of the dilapidated building is a poster which informs the public that Big Beat Leisure (I think) is turning the building into a theatre, nightclub and cafe. It has the plans on the poster too, but I had no time to study it as I was driving past - and probably the wind last night and today has blown the poster off!!

northener
02-Jan-08, 14:54
On the front of the dilapidated building is a poster which informs the public that Big Beat Leisure (I think) is turning the building into a theatre, nightclub and cafe. It has the plans on the poster too, but I had no time to study it as I was driving past - and probably the wind last night and today has blown the poster off!!

I hope the club's a bit more tasteful than the gruesome shade of blue they've painted the outside....

angela5
02-Jan-08, 15:30
Gawd, it's more of an eyesore now painted that tacky colour.:eek:

sprint95m
02-Jan-08, 18:07
I suspect the plans shown are part of a delaying tactic by the owners, as ultimately I believe their intention is to do nothing.

Just because you apply for and receive planning permission doesn't mean you have to go ahead with the plan.

rainbow
02-Jan-08, 18:53
Yes I agree could be a stalling tactic????- but I heard that if you have some plans in the pipeline then the council cannot compulsory purchase the building and knock it down!!!!!!! Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, as I only heard this during idle gossip.

Tc4
02-Jan-08, 19:48
Hey i just saw today that there has been a development notice stuck to the boards outside the old dominos.

Development includes a Bar, Nightclub and Theatre. Its about time something was done with the place and wont hurt to have a decent night club and theatre in the town!

Anyone have any further info on this?

Tc4

DeHaviLand
02-Jan-08, 19:56
no point going back a year and a half when there is a new thread:(

Torvaig
02-Jan-08, 19:58
Try this...

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=38693

angela5
02-Jan-08, 19:59
Lol, do you not read the 1st page in the general!:lol:

sphinx
02-Jan-08, 20:23
hope they do something with it coz itz a eye sore the way it is now who ever owns it should be made to clean it up

johno
02-Jan-08, 23:22
Too true niall, these guys are not interested in developing the site, as far as I know the only reason it is there is because it is a listed building, maybe I am wrong.
might be wrong here but to be listed does,nt have to be built of stone or have some particular features to it, i/e age etc ,dont think that building qualify,s for that . look,s like concrete block,s or shuttered concrete to me. any way, any building type would be better than the skeleton that,s standing there now . and Dr Leasks old house really looks like it need,s pulled down. The coop building in Francis ST though looks pretty sound although the roof has been stripped ,the actual building it self looks like it could be renovated.

johno
02-Jan-08, 23:55
The day they painted it, it rained and the entire pavement all the way down past the post office turned blue. Hope the renovater,s are gonna be using better material,s or are the old owner,s still the new owners
under a different name?? :eek:

Fran
03-Jan-08, 02:27
The co op building opposite the francis street Club which was richards car showroom is being developed by the council to old peoples flats. recently workmen had to repair some of the building when bits of the roofing fell down, very dangerous.