PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

brandy
26-Nov-09, 14:14
any ex-pat americans out there.. happy turkey day.. mine is getting ready to come out of the oven.. the pumkin pies are in the process of being made.. home made from scratch.. no libbys here im afraid!! HOPE everyone has a good one!

Sandra_B
26-Nov-09, 14:58
Happy Thanksgiving Brandy!

BINBOB
26-Nov-09, 15:52
Happy thanksgiving ,Brandy...hope it is super.:D

riggerboy
26-Nov-09, 16:21
a very happy thanksgiving,

now if you dont mind will you please enlighting me on to what we are giving thanks to ????

Betty
26-Nov-09, 16:46
Happy Thanksgiving Brandy, and to all others celebrating today.

riggerboy
26-Nov-09, 16:56
Thanksgiving Day is a harvest festival celebrated primarily in Canada and the United States. Traditionally, it is a time to give thanks to God for the harvest and express gratitude in general. The Thanksgiving Day service is held annually at the Pieterskerk in Leiden. While perhaps religious in origin, Thanksgiving is now primarily identified as a secular holiday.[citation needed]

The date and location of the first Thanksgiving celebration is a topic of modest contention. The traditional "first Thanksgiving" is the celebration that occurred at the site of Plymouth Plantation, in 1621. The Plymouth celebration occurred early in the history of what would become one of the original thirteen colonies that became the United States. The celebration became an important part of the American myth by the 1800s.[citation needed] This Thanksgiving, modeled after celebrations that were commonplace in contemporary Europe, is generally regarded as America's first. Elementary school teacher Robyn Gioia has argued that the earliest attested "thanksgiving" celebration in what is now the United States was celebrated by the Spanish on September 8, 1565 in what is now Saint Augustine, Florida.[1][2] Today, Thanksgiving is celebrated on the second Monday of October in Canada and on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States. Thanksgiving dinner is held on this day, usually as a gathering of family members and friends

brandy
26-Nov-09, 17:31
to put a more everyday human twist to it as it is celebrated today, it is a time that we all come together to give thanks that we are able to do this. we get together have a great big meal.. the women start cooking days before, the men all gather together to watch football and the kids run amok until we all sit down.. the elderly and oldset at the table, (as many as will fit!) the young and able standing where ever they can. and the kids all on paper plates on the floor! or if a nice day outside. we say a prayer to give thanks for letting us all be able to gather together on this day and give blessing on all of the things that we have recived this past year.. and pray for any that cant be here. that they are safe and happy..and then we eat to we cant hold anymore.. unfastn the belts and hit the pumpkin pie.. men go back to the game, women start to blether and tidy up.. kids run amok until they are exhausted. we send left overs home with everyone!!! give loads and loads of hugs and kisses to those we havent seen since last thanksgiving.. and say our goodbye.. and slowly make our ways home from wherever we had dinner.
its a very long exhausting day..at the end you are just glad to be able to sit down and relax in quiet.. but you wouldnt change it for the world.
thats thanksgiving

dunbrake
26-Nov-09, 19:33
to put a more everyday human twist to it as it is celebrated today, it is a time that we all come together to give thanks that we are able to do this. we get together have a great big meal.. the women start cooking days before, the men all gather together to watch football and the kids run amok until we all sit down.. the elderly and oldset at the table, (as many as will fit!) the young and able standing where ever they can. and the kids all on paper plates on the floor! or if a nice day outside. we say a prayer to give thanks for letting us all be able to gather together on this day and give blessing on all of the things that we have recived this past year.. and pray for any that cant be here. that they are safe and happy..and then we eat to we cant hold anymore.. unfastn the belts and hit the pumpkin pie.. men go back to the game, women start to blether and tidy up.. kids run amok until they are exhausted. we send left overs home with everyone!!! give loads and loads of hugs and kisses to those we havent seen since last thanksgiving.. and say our goodbye.. and slowly make our ways home from wherever we had dinner.
its a very long exhausting day..at the end you are just glad to be able to sit down and relax in quiet.. but you wouldnt change it for the world.
thats thanksgiving

Brandy
Thanks for that explanation, it all sounds wonderful, families obviously make a great effort to be together on this day.

unicorn
26-Nov-09, 19:39
Happy Thanksgiving Brandy, sounds like xmas without the mad expense [lol]

canuck
27-Nov-09, 00:27
Happy Thanksgiving Brandy!

Having had an American grandmother I appreciate the November festivity. And as a Canadian I often got to celebrate Thanksgiving twice each autumn.

joxville
27-Nov-09, 00:42
Thanksgiving.....just another excuse for Americans to eat!

Rheghead
27-Nov-09, 00:50
Thanksgiving.....just another excuse for Americans to eat!

Is there an R in the month? :lol:

Foxy
27-Nov-09, 01:05
Happy thanksgiving Brandy. :)

teddybear1873
27-Nov-09, 05:18
Happy Thanksgiving Brandy. Went to the inlaws for dinner and had to sleep it off. Ate too much. What a spread was put on.

Not looking forward to tomorrow. Black Friday here and have to work at 200am. As I work in North Charleston, It is not the friendliest place in the world. Think it ranks 3rd in America for shootings.

Better have my bullet proof vest on.

Bookworm
27-Nov-09, 22:07
any ex-pat americans out there.. happy turkey day.. mine is getting ready to come out of the oven.. the pumkin pies are in the process of being made.. home made from scratch.. no libbys here im afraid!! HOPE everyone has a good one!

Any pie left? My Thanksgiving had turkey but my pies never turn out and I love pumpkin pie.

madmissus
27-Nov-09, 22:48
Happy thanksgiving Brandy, here's to everything you hope for you and your family!!

dirdyweeker
28-Nov-09, 05:26
Happy Thanksgiving Brandy for yesterday. i don't know if Canada is different from the USA where i celebrated mine yesterday? Had a fantastic Thanksgiving meal of Butternut Squash Soup,Smoked Turkey and all the trimmings with the celebrated Pumpkin Pie and Bourbon Cream washed down with plenty Zinfandel!
In USA it is followed by Midnight Madness at the shopping Mall. I was one of 134 million throughout USA who celebraed what is known as Black Friday. The State Troopers give the shoppers a "green light" all the way to the Mall!
One celebration is now over and already the Xmas decorations are shining brightly in the sunshine. How fantastic.
Hope you enjoyed your meal Brandy.