PDA

View Full Version : Noisy laptop

~~Tides~~
25-Nov-09, 22:41
Hi there,

My laptop sounds like a hairdryer a lot of the time now, i.e. the fan is constanty going full speed. Is there anyway I can stop it doing this.

It is quiet for about the first 30 seconds after 'waking up' but then the fan just stays on when I using it, even though the processor will not be running over 25%. I think it used to be quieter most of the time, only really doing the hairdryer impression when it was really working hard.

Its quite annoying, esp. when using it at uni, in the library or tutorials etc.

Any help, much appreciated as ever.

S&LHEN
25-Nov-09, 23:15
Do you keep the monitor in a cupboard or a space with little vetalation. I find that when mine is on a shelf the heats coming back onto it and ive had to move it to a more ventilated area so its not constantly over heating and now the fans not on alot:D.

Phill
25-Nov-09, 23:47
Try getting a vacuum cleaner nozzle around the air intake and exhaust.
It could be just full of fluff,dust n' gwit.

But if very noisy it sounds like the fan itself could be iffy.
Is it an oldish laptop?

(oh, do the vacuuming stuff whilst switched off obviously!)

Bobinovich
25-Nov-09, 23:52
Some laptops (such as my Lenovo model) have a panel on the bottom which, when removed, gives easy access to the fans and heatsink to make cleaning them easier. It's a feature I'd like to see more of as excessive running of fans is not only annoying but can lead to an early demise causing subsequent CPU overheating.

dx100uk
26-Nov-09, 01:11
get a can of compressed air from the PC section in tescos wick and give it a good blast into the fan and the duct holes where the heat blows out

simples!

dx

Aaldtimer
26-Nov-09, 04:45
get a can of compressed air from the PC section in tescos wick and give it a good blast into the fan and the duct holes where the heat blows out

simples!

dx

No! Nay never! Vacuum every time...get that dust outa there!:eek:

dx100uk
26-Nov-09, 05:49
No! Nay never! Vacuum every time...get that dust outa there!:eek:

well i meant that first but nothing like clearing the fins with compressed air after though..

dx

~~Tides~~
26-Nov-09, 11:25
Thanks chaps, I will try that and report back.

There isn't a panel on the bottom unfortunately.