PDA

View Full Version : wanted land with rabbits on, for gundog training

buggyracer
25-Nov-09, 20:43
Does anyone have land or know of land in the county with good numbers of rabbits on it during the daytime? Im looking for access to ground for training of gundogs, (and before anyone gets on their high horse) i do not need to shoot any rabbits if that is the wish of the landowner, it is purely for training dogs to find and be steady to any rabbits they find/flush ie not chase them and to aid/develop their hunting abillity for field trialing.

The dogs used will be in full control and brocken to all livestock and i am fully insured with the relevant bodys.

This is not a thread on the merits, of hunting/shooting/gundogs so if anyone would like to discuss this please start another one ;) :lol:

please feel free to conact me via pm if you have any land available.

Ricco
25-Nov-09, 21:27
Maybe this place can help - they are really out to make sure dogs have a great time.

http://www.thedogisland.com/

buggyracer
25-Nov-09, 21:31
Maybe this place can help - they are really out to make sure dogs have a great time.

http://www.thedogisland.com/

thanks, what a wasted 5 secs of my life that was :roll:

Ricco
25-Nov-09, 21:35
thanks, what a wasted 5 secs of my life that was :roll:

Good laugh, though. Consider the saddo that spent all that time and energy putting the site together.

BTW, I remember that there was some land along the river about 2-5 miles up on the right as you look downstream that used to have loads of rabbits. You could check with the farmer there.

munron
25-Nov-09, 21:40
Hi Buggyracer

There are loads of quarries up by Weydale, not to sure if that is the kind of terrain you are looking for though. There is also a marsh land on the other side that has plenty of birds but I know it is a well spectated bird watching site so there may be a conflict there, not being up on these things would training the dog may mean the possibility of these birds going and not returning?

I am sure that if you dogs were livestock savvie the local farmers / quarry owners wouldnt have a problem.

I can give you the names of people to approach via PM if you are interested.

buggyracer
25-Nov-09, 21:41
Good laugh, though. Consider the saddo that spent all that time and energy putting the site together.

BTW, I remember that there was some land along the river about 2-5 miles up on the right as you look downstream that used to have loads of rabbits. You could check with the farmer there.

i suppose :lol:

Rheghead
25-Nov-09, 22:13
Sand dunes at Sandside, Reay?

buggyracer
25-Nov-09, 22:18
Sand dunes at Sandside, Reay?

yes hadnt thought of there, the only problem with dunes is you need to see the dog all of the time to make it sit when it flushes any rabbits, but some of the flatter areas there may be of use, ill give it a go if i get no other offers, thanks Rhegs.

buggyracer
25-Nov-09, 22:23
Hi Buggyracer

There are loads of quarries up by Weydale, not to sure if that is the kind of terrain you are looking for though. There is also a marsh land on the other side that has plenty of birds but I know it is a well spectated bird watching site so there may be a conflict there, not being up on these things would training the dog may mean the possibility of these birds going and not returning?

I am sure that if you dogs were livestock savvie the local farmers / quarry owners wouldnt have a problem.

I can give you the names of people to approach via PM if you are interested.

thanks for that, i do go upto some of these quarrys, but there isnt so many rabbits around during the daytime :~(

ideally the land would be grass with large clumps of rashes which the rabbits would lie up in during the day or heather again giving the rabbits cover, bare grass field wouldnt be much use as the rabbits would simply run off as soon as you enter the field, there needs to be some form of cover to hold the rabbits.

i have permission on several farms but there isnt a lot of rabbits on them, im looking for land which holds large numbers of rabbits. Thanks.

Dog-eared
26-Nov-09, 01:10
The problem with dunes is that you might get a running dog putting a leg down a hole.

Fran
26-Nov-09, 02:16
The problem with dunes is that you might get a running dog putting a leg down a hole.

##########################################

I will get there before you and warn the rabbits to move away quickly!!!

stansmith
26-Nov-09, 07:36
He's trying to flush the rabbits, make them run away fran, what would you warning them acheive?

Amy-Winehouse
26-Nov-09, 08:49
Ulbster on the road to Lybster is polluted with rabbits , they are everywhere & any local Ive spoken to down there would only be too glad for you to come down & rid them of the vermin . How about a letter to the Groat?
You`d surely get some reply through that?

cazmanian_minx
26-Nov-09, 13:27
There are masses on the area of common grazing next to Armadale village hall, but at the moment the hoggs are loose in the village, so unless your dogs are completely steady to sheep, wise to leave it until they go off at the end of March.

phil1958
26-Nov-09, 13:41
try the caravan site in wick its closed at the moment till april next year and there lots of rabbits around and im sure if u contact the owner william miller he would not object ....

buggyracer
26-Nov-09, 15:28
There are masses on the area of common grazing next to Armadale village hall, but at the moment the hoggs are loose in the village, so unless your dogs are completely steady to sheep, wise to leave it until they go off at the end of March.

thanks for that, how long does it take to drive there from thurso? sounds promising :)

buggyracer
26-Nov-09, 15:29
Ulbster on the road to Lybster is polluted with rabbits , they are everywhere & any local Ive spoken to down there would only be too glad for you to come down & rid them of the vermin . How about a letter to the Groat?
You`d surely get some reply through that?

thanks ill look into it :)

buggyracer
26-Nov-09, 15:30
try the caravan site in wick its closed at the moment till april next year and there lots of rabbits around and im sure if u contact the owner william miller he would not object ....

thanks Phil, ill also look into this. ;)

buggyracer
26-Nov-09, 15:32
just another post, as my post count number wasnt so nice :eek:

cazmanian_minx
28-Nov-09, 16:01
thanks for that, how long does it take to drive there from thurso? sounds promising :)

It's about 25 miles, takes us around 35-40 minutes to get into town.

Hoida
28-Nov-09, 16:21

I would think that permission would be needed from the grazing clerk.Don't want you to have a wasted journey.

buggyracer
28-Nov-09, 18:27
I would think that permission would be needed from the grazing clerk.Don't want you to have a wasted journey.

i would think so too, i would certainly not go out there without oking it first ;) :lol:

i was just interested in the distance as with the short daylight hours at this time of year ideally it would be somewhere close to town so i could pop out either first thing in the morning or in my lunch break during the week.

Ricanna
28-Nov-09, 19:37
I wondered where all the rabbits have gone. I used to have loads on my land but I hardly see any at all now--has been the case this last couple of years

buggyracer
28-Nov-09, 20:39
I wondered where all the rabbits have gone. I used to have loads on my land but I hardly see any at all now--has been the case this last couple of years

there is a liver disease going around that has hit the rabbit population very hard over the last few years, some areas it has not effected others it has :confused

Ricanna
28-Nov-09, 21:07
Might this be related to mild wet winters--like liver fluke in sheep? If I have a resurgence in population will let you know as you would be welcome here.

buggyracer
28-Nov-09, 21:30
Might this be related to mild wet winters--like liver fluke in sheep? If I have a resurgence in population will let you know as you would be welcome here.

it could well be, although im not certain :lol:

thankyou, that would be great, the whole point of it is to get the dog used to hunting and flushing the rabbits, and sitting on the flush, there is really no need to shoot a rabbit its purely developing there hunting and training. :)