PDA

View Full Version : The future of Scottish Football.

Invisible
25-Nov-09, 13:35
We have a new faith in our Rugby as a nation, since the introduction of Mr Robinson and the magnificent result against Australia. We have better faith in Mr Andy Murray as he begins to win more. We have Chris Hoy as the sports personality of the year.
We have a loosing faith in our Football, with our big two teams wanting to jump ship (but having door shut in their face), and our National team down the ranking with the likes of Honduras and Latvia above us.

Could we learn something by employing an English National Manager? - I wouldn't say no to an English manager.

I'm not looking to start arguments just want your opinions opinions.

Metalattakk
25-Nov-09, 13:49
My opinion is that you're trying to start an argument.

And the answer to your question is 'no'. Employing a 'good' manager is important, not the nationality (although I think we'd all like him to be a Scot).

Look at England themselves, managed by a good, yet Italian, manager. The best managers in England are foreign (including many Scots), so I don't see where you're coming from to be honest.

Rheghead
25-Nov-09, 13:51
It appears to me that the Scottish national team always seems to wait for the other side to take the initiative and perhaps win on the break. That's ok as a tactic against teams with bags of talent but fails against weaker teams or as a day-in-day-out style. Scotland would do well to get a team manager like Kevin Keegan who can develop a team which would take the game to the opposition. It would make for less painful tv as well.

tonkatojo
25-Nov-09, 13:58
It appears to me that the Scottish national team always seems to wait for the other side to take the initiative and perhaps win on the break. That's ok as a tactic against teams with bags of talent but fails against weaker teams or as a day-in-day-out style. Scotland would do well to get a team manager like Kevin Keegan who can develop a team which would take the game to the opposition. It would make for less painful tv as well.

Aye he is OK but you will need to hide his running shoes when the going gets tough or he doesn't get his way, ask the toon army.

tonkatojo
25-Nov-09, 14:01
We have a new faith in our Rugby as a nation, since the introduction of Mr Robinson and the magnificent result against Australia. We have better faith in Mr Andy Murray as he begins to win more. We have Chris Hoy as the sports personality of the year.
We have a loosing faith in our Football, with our big two teams wanting to jump ship (but having door shut in their face), and our National team down the ranking with the likes of Honduras and Latvia above us.

Could we learn something from our arch rivals by employing an English National Manager?

I'm not looking to start arguments just opinions.

If the players are not good enough it doesn't matter who manages them, just wait for fresh/new players coming through and try again in a few years time.

Amy-Winehouse
25-Nov-09, 18:17

Could we learn something by employing an English National Manager? - I wouldn't say no to an English manager.

I'm not looking to start arguments just want your opinions opinions.

I give you Terry Butcher for an English manager, hes a plank of wood.

For eg Sunderland -sacked, Coventry - sacked , He then went to Australia -sacked . Motherwell-did ok for a bit ;)one fine day in May 2005 an all that.
Inverness Caley Thistle-relegated them & hasnt got them firing on all cylinders yet, Beaten by Ross County :D

There hasnt been an English born Manager to win the Premier league since it started!!! In fact the last English manager to win it was Howard Wilkinson in 1992 so Im sorry about English managers buddy, they just arnt any good any more.

Id have a foreign coach again or John Collins but a tradesman can only work with the tools hes got & right now Scotland have some really dire players who dont care very much

mrjolly
25-Nov-09, 18:21
i would like an english manager. but i couldna eat a whole one

John Baikie
26-Nov-09, 09:58
If the players are not good enough it doesn't matter who manages them, just wait for fresh/new players coming through and try again in a few years time.

This is a myth I've heard a lot over the last few weeks.
When Bertie Vogts left the same was said, yet Walter Smith came in and had the same players to choose from and completely turned it round.

tonkatojo
26-Nov-09, 11:57
This is a myth I've heard a lot over the last few weeks.
When Bertie Vogts left the same was said, yet Walter Smith came in and had the same players to choose from and completely turned it round.

Why do you think he won't return ??. It certainly isn't rangers successes.

veritas
26-Nov-09, 14:22
Ban foreigh inports including other british players

This is what both France and Italy did when their game went into crisis it forced clubs to develop their own local talent and stopped clubs spendingstupid amounts on useless imports with fancy names both have since won the world cup. a straight forward restriction to two imports per team would dramatically change our fortune withing the next 10 years stop looking for a quick fix and get the structure right

Amy-Winehouse
26-Nov-09, 20:01
Ban foreigh inports including other british players

This is what both France and Italy did when their game went into crisis it forced clubs to develop their own local talent and stopped clubs spendingstupid amounts on useless imports with fancy names both have since won the world cup. a straight forward restriction to two imports per team would dramatically change our fortune withing the next 10 years stop looking for a quick fix and get the structure right

Good idea BUT the E.U would not allow this to happen, your restricting trade & thats not going to be allowed Im afraid.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
26-Nov-09, 20:59
We need a manager with a passion for Scottish Football.Somebody who has played in World Cups and knows the pride that ye need to reach it.A guy who played fitbaw when ye got paid peanuts,a guy who would handball in purpose,to get his team into the finals.Step forward Mr Joe Jordan.If he disnae want it.Mr Dagliesh and Mr Souness go co-management,look at Zeeky and Tich,dreams can come true.:)