PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle lights to bright

Eagleclaw68
25-Nov-09, 00:35
I drive from Dounreay between 5:00pm to 5:30pm and there's a bicycle with lights I think what are too bright for the road dazzling in fact, from a distance you don't think its a bicycle you think its a tractor or a motor bike they dip there light this bicycle doesn't or can't, every time I pass this cyclist I flash him and keep my lights on full beam if no other vehicles are coming the other way. Should I report this cyclist to the police?

ShelleyCowie
25-Nov-09, 00:39
im sorry but that has to be the most rediculous thing i have ever heard! What is the actual problem? Would you rather the cyclists had no lights and then you come on here and ask if they should be reported for having none?

Alan16
25-Nov-09, 00:44
im sorry but that has to be the most rediculous thing i have ever heard! What is the actual problem? Would you rather the cyclists had no lights and then you come on here and ask if they should be reported for having none?

I'm sorry, but that is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. If the lights really are dazzling and are more like car headlights on full beam (which is what I thought the original poster is trying to say) then they should be changed. It is dangerous to drivers going in the opposite direction. They need to be able to lower the brightness or just have less bright lights, not go to the exact opposite as you suggested.

Kodiak
25-Nov-09, 00:46
Shelley I would ignore this if I was you, just have a look at all the other silly and pointless posts that Eagleclaw68 has made and you will see what I mean. He is just not worth reading let alone answering.

ShelleyCowie
25-Nov-09, 00:48
Shelley I would ignore this if I was you, just have a look at all the other silly and pointless posts that Eagleclaw68 has made and you will see what I mean. He is just not worth reading let alone answering.

Ahh right ok point taken Kodiak! ;) I will leave it be...and whatever will be will be! :)

Fran
25-Nov-09, 01:37
How dangerous a driver are you, flashing your beam lights at a poor man/woman on a bicycle in the dark. The should report you.

tigger2u
25-Nov-09, 03:40
It is hard enough being noticed on a Motorbike when car drivers say...Oh i didnt see him and Its common for Motorbike to drive at all times with lights on.
So if this bicycle has been noticed by you at a distance then I think his lights have done a good job. But putting highbeams on to blind him is far more dangerous than a tiny bike light will ever be.:roll:

Rheghead
25-Nov-09, 08:47
I drive from Dounreay between 5:00pm to 5:30pm and there's a bicycle with lights I think what are too bright for the road dazzling in fact, from a distance you don't think its a bicycle you think its a tractor or a motor bike they dip there light this bicycle doesn't or can't, every time I pass this cyclist I flash him and keep my lights on full beam if no other vehicles are coming the other way. Should I report this cyclist to the police?

Yes report him, but don't forget to tell them the full account of your story in that you flashed him with your lights and then kept them on full beam to his probable annoyance.

Venture
25-Nov-09, 09:09
Below is a post by you on a recent thread. You've certainly changed your attitude. Perhaps you should practice what you preach, especially towards cyclists.

I quote:
"A lot of drivers in Caithness don't give a crap about any road users all they are interested in is getting to the desertion in the fastest time. It doesn't enter their heads that they might lose control of their vehicle and injure or even kill a fellow road user, many of the younger motorist take the piss out walkers, cyclists. I think the Police should have a lot more unmarked Police vehicle patrolling Caithness especially that Thurso and Castletown road between 07:15-08:00am and 16:30-17:15pm its like running gauntlet for any safe law abiding road user."

floyed
25-Nov-09, 09:43
Why dont you just stop and speak to him????

Bullseye!
25-Nov-09, 10:30
Yes report him, but don't forget to tell them the full account of your story in that you flashed him with your lights and then kept them on full beam to his probable annoyance.

Nice one but I would say to his endangerment, a car's full beam would be x10 stronger than a bikes, poor guy probably was seeing stars for the rest of his journey

Why dont you just stop and speak to him????

yep, all the cyclist has to do, if he is made aware of it, is to angle the light towards the road slightly so as glare doesn't "blind" poor motorists

communication is a wonderful thing

EDDIE
25-Nov-09, 10:40

I think you should report yourself to the police blinding the cyclist with your light on full beam you silly person and by what you have said you know your passing the cyclist every night and you are delibertly blinding the cyclist you better hope the person on the bike isnt an orger because if that person reports you to the police for what you are doing you have already admitted the offence on this forum and you could be probably be tracked from your account details on hear
You should try using a push bike or motorbike to commute back and fore to your work and you will relise how vunerable you are doing it and it might make you think twice in your attitude towards cyclist and motorbikers

Kodiak is correct in what he is saying about your posts and reply are silly and pointless

Amy-Winehouse
25-Nov-09, 10:42
It might be a dynamo set of lights? I used to have them on my bike & the harder Id pedal the brighter the light, ever thought of that???

On the other hand theres an old fool who comes into Wick every night from Ackergill or Reiss with no lights on his bike. Ive nearly caught him about 6 times & yes I have stopped & told him to buy some lights before some one does hit you & kill you. All I get is eff off, what can you do with the likes of that???

shazzap
25-Nov-09, 11:03
It might be a dynamo set of lights? I used to have them on my bike & the harder Id pedal the brighter the light, ever thought of that???

On the other hand theres an old fool who comes into Wick every night from Ackergill or Reiss with no lights on his bike. Ive nearly caught him about 6 times & yes I have stopped & told him to buy some lights before some one does hit you & kill you. All I get is eff off, what can you do with the likes of that???

I have seen this man, and yes he does ride with out lights.

upolian
25-Nov-09, 11:21
are you for real?report to the police.......hahahahahahahahahahaha:roll:

upolian
25-Nov-09, 11:24
double post grrrrr

Bullseye!
25-Nov-09, 11:33

Report him, he's legally required to have both front and back lights during the hours of darkness

EDDIE
25-Nov-09, 11:38
I think lights is just not enough they should really be wearin high vis or reflective clothing b law

Rheghead
25-Nov-09, 11:40
It's only an offence to ride without lights on a public road between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise.

upolian
25-Nov-09, 11:41
I think lights is just not enough they should really be wearin high vis or reflective clothing b law

clearly this person has enough he/she is blinding motorists:roll:

bothyman
25-Nov-09, 11:44
I think you are talking about Led Cycle lights??

They are bright and I use them too :roll:.

One good thing about them is that it makes Motorists dip their lights, rather than thinking it doesn't matter because it's just a cyclist.

And if People didn't drive so fast it would help them to adjust to the bright light.

A lot of People seem to forget that we all have the right to travel on "The Queen's Highway" to get from A to B, and the roads should not be used as a personal racetrack,

Maybe someone will come up with one with a Dip Switch one day ;)??

And Yes, I drive a car too.

Rheghead
25-Nov-09, 11:47
good points bothyman.

changilass
25-Nov-09, 12:01
Bothyman, I don't think the OP is saying that cyclists shouldn't be on the road.

I am not sure of sex or size of Eagleclaw, but I certainly wouldn't be stoppping the car to talk to someone on a dark road on my own.

If everyone gave due consideration then the cyclist wouldn't have blinded the driver and vise versa.

Having said all that, I do think Eagleclaw was out of order in leaving his lights on full.

Two wrongs have never made a right.

slinky
25-Nov-09, 13:01
i think the guys making sure hes been seen ,after all if its guy i think it is he got knocked over not long back, guy never seen him infact the driver was drunk

chef4celebrations
25-Nov-09, 14:52
It's only an offence to ride without lights on a public road between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise.

what about in between those times i.e 3am it is pretty dark then too do you think they might need lights too....lol

Rheghead
25-Nov-09, 16:01
what about in between those times i.e 3am it is pretty dark then too do you think they might need lights too....lol

Eh? Didn't I say in between those times? :roll: :lol:

Someone not reading posts again?

bish667
25-Nov-09, 16:32
I think you are talking about Led Cycle lights??

They are bright and I use them too :roll:.

Dont believe the original poster is talking about standard LED lights.
I have 2 LED lights on the front of my bike but I've seen this cyclist this topic is about and they are quite large and very very bright in comparison to standard LED lights, and no i dont have cheap crap ones :lol:.

But the offending lights are not brighter than a lot of car lights on cars nowadays, not much can be done when your blinded by them either. :~(

Yes I do agree with being visible but by having lights so bright as to dazzle car drivers then thats not safe either.

bekisman
25-Nov-09, 17:15
Rheggers: "It's only an offence to ride without lights on a public road between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise." I thought it was 'half an hour before and after?

Rheghead
25-Nov-09, 17:56
Rheggers: "It's only an offence to ride without lights on a public road between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise." I thought it was 'half an hour before and after?

Beg your pardon, well spotted. :)