PDA

View Full Version : Traditonal Scottish Music

Invisible
24-Nov-09, 22:48
Do you like, yes or no

I vote yes, just bought Face the West's albums and a couple of Daniel McPhee's.

buddyrich
25-Nov-09, 00:43
www.allcelticmusic.com has a good selection of try before you buy stuff. I recommend all the Iain MacPhail albums.

Aaldtimer
25-Nov-09, 04:55
You can also try :- http://www.footstompin.com/collections/music for a good selection too!:)

Phoebus_Apollo
25-Nov-09, 14:15
Being Scottish I suppose I`m genetically meant to like this genre of music but on the whole it reminds me of the grim scottish dancing classes that used to be part of the physical education cirriculum:roll:

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Nov-09, 16:40
Being Scottish I suppose I`m genetically meant to like this genre of music but on the whole it reminds me of the grim scottish dancing classes that used to be part of the physical education cirriculum:roll:

That's OK. You're just ignorant and poorly educated. ;)

Invisible
25-Nov-09, 17:44
I have to confess I didn't like Scottish music mainly because of the same reason Phoebus_Apollo has mentioned. But since learning accordion and seeing my friends being successful in this field it may be want to strive to be too.
After seeing Peatbog Faeries and Blair Douglas at Scone in August, it justified my liking for Scottish music.

buddyrich
26-Nov-09, 14:52
Dancing in school was grim alright. I used to refuse and sit and listen to the bands instead. Played for many hundreds of dances since but still havent done a single step of dancing.

Scorpio12thNov
26-Nov-09, 15:18
Trad. dancing in school wis leefal!!! I loved it...& Trad music is cool...

Why don't people like Trad. music or Trad. dancing? Some of eh NOISE you hear in clubs & everyone jumping (I'll not use the term "dancing") lek great beig henging neeps!!!

Trad dancing IS a dying art, there used to be village dances in EVERY hall in the country at one point, the pubs would close, then, folk would go to the dance. Forgotten times...

The social lifes of todays generation compared to generations before us have changed so drastically, it really saddens me to say this but, I can't see a future for Scottish Dancing, it'll never reach the high points it once did with the Hogmanay Shows, Jim MacLeod & Jimmy Shand etc...Hell Shand wis in the top 20 for God sake!!! We'll never achieve that same success again...

cheekychops
01-Dec-09, 00:02
FTW are AMAZING!!!!

Have heard them live on many an occasion and have been jumping aroung the room like a mad thing lol

With any luck they'll venture up this way next yr for the mod in October. I believe they have been approached. Am keeping my fingers and toes cossed anyway.........

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Dec-09, 18:01
The best.

http://www.myspace.com/laumusic