PDA

View Full Version : Say No 2 0870

webmannie
20-Apr-06, 22:47
The only reason to use an 0870 number is to make money from those calling you. Using one says 'we value your call - because we're making money from it'. (Apart from anything else, it gives that company a cash incentive to leave you on hold for as long as possible.) Anyone who wants to avoid using them might enjoy this web-site, http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

It has alternative geographic numbers (starting 01 or 02, the local area codes) for many large organisations.

2little2late
20-Apr-06, 23:16
Thanks for that. I have known about it for a while now. It has been in my favourites.
One company who gets their moneys worth is Sottish Hydro.
All this press 1 for this 2 for that is nonsence anyway because the call goes through to the next available telephonist ay way.

The worst one I have found is Westcott debt collection agency. I phoned them a couple of times to arrange payment of debt. After waiting over 15 minutes for a reply I never bothered. We all know this is just a money making racket and should not be allowed. Years ago every helpline number was 0800, but then probably some bright spark realised money could be made from us.