PDA

View Full Version : Rewarding Employees for Good Attendance?

Rheghead
23-Nov-09, 23:24
Would it be good for business if they reward employees for good attendance? Complementary gifts like coffee makers, toasters and GPS and such like? Seems like it might cause problems by making a sick workforce if the flu gets around or it might compromise someone's ability to carry out their duties safely. I can see how a company would want to give an incentive for an employee to avoid throwing a sickie but what is the answer?

Scorpio12thNov
23-Nov-09, 23:33
Would it be good for business if they reward employees for good attendance? Complementary gifts like coffee makers, toasters and GPS and such like? Seems like it might cause problems by making a sick workforce if the flu gets around or it might compromise someone's ability to carry out their duties safely. I can see how a company would want to give an incentive for an employee to avoid throwing a sickie but what is the answer?

I don't think this "good attendance reward" idea is the answer. It's like getting a gold star at school for good attendance. It will cause an uneasy atmosphere too in the workplace I'd imagine...

Sicky? I don't know of this word.:confusedMaybe because I've never pulled a "sicky" (sorry I hev, when I wis at school) before.

I'm sure a guid kick up eh erse & docking wages will soon stop people from throwing sickies...Other than this, I can't see any other way of folk stopping pulling sickies...

ShelleyCowie
23-Nov-09, 23:40
I think the answer is simple, sack em! Not for 1st time offenders but if persistant then fire them!

I dont do sickies, maybe because i work for myself in a way lol.

But anyways, putting my feet in someone else's shoes (yuck) and thinking like a person who might take a sickie then look at it this way.

A. Day off, lying on the couch, playing computer games, watching tv and films, sleep for however long.

or

B. A toaster.

Thats my opinion, if the prize were something like...........a very hot celebrity then yes, i would be there 24/7 with bells on! ;) I already listed the celebs i would like in the Christmas thread! [lol]

Phill
23-Nov-09, 23:55
It's like performance related pay.

If everybody did the job they had to the best of their abilities we wouldn't have the need for any of it.
But, the skivers, fiddlers and cheats win again!

Scorpio12thNov
24-Nov-09, 00:02
Thats my opinion, if the prize were something like...........a very hot celebrity then yes, i would be there 24/7 with bells on! ;) I already listed the celebs i would like in the Christmas thread! [lol]
Where wis it ye said ye worked dawl...???;)

ShelleyCowie
24-Nov-09, 00:07
Where wis it ye said ye worked dawl...???;)

Lol...i didnt say :rolleyes:

Whitewater
24-Nov-09, 01:15
In my younger days while working in Australia I worked fo a company that introduced a "Zero Defects Policy" it was great, the departments with the least breakdowns, best attendance etc were rewarded. Sometimes it would be a bonus, other times clothing vouchers, show tickets, football/rugby/cricket tickets the list was endless and we never knew what we were going to get if we won. It did reduce sickies, production went up and moral was high. I thought it was great.

Scorpio12thNov
24-Nov-09, 01:30
Lol...i didnt say :rolleyes:

That wis a classic facepalm moment!!!

http://getbent57.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/polar-bear-face-palm-thumbnail.jpg

:lol:

flash
24-Nov-09, 01:59
I believe that a bonus for no sick leave, either financial, or the reward of a couple of days paid leave a year for not taking sick leave would be a sufficient bonus for not taking sick leave over the course of a year.

Too big a bonus would have the twisted sock brigade up in arms that they would be missing out on something, a small reward would show an employers appreciation for attendance, though my employer is not likely to do anything that thoughtfull.........

EDDIE
24-Nov-09, 08:46

I would say have a system were if your of sick you get full wages but at the descression of management rather than the employee is intitled to it becuse of the small majority abusing there sick days thats why a lot of companys are stop paying full wages when you are off sick and that would be a good way of rewarding the genuine people

riggerboy
24-Nov-09, 08:52
i think the bonus is you have a job and get paid, there should be no attendance bonus if you dont attend then you dont get paid,

northener
24-Nov-09, 09:02
People already get a reward for turning up - it's called wages.

newpark
24-Nov-09, 10:34
no way you are paid to go to work so why should you get a reward just for showing up?

Whitewater
24-Nov-09, 10:44
People already get a reward for turning up - it's called wages.

With paid sick leave, you don't need to turn up. You can get up to 5 days without a doctors certificate.

riggerboy
24-Nov-09, 10:59
With paid sick leave, you don't need to turn up. You can get up to 5 days without a doctors certificate.

and after 5 days when the kids are starving the eleccy meter is starving the cupboards are empty, then it may jolt the memory"" o but wait i remember i have a job, if i go to it i will get a reward called pay ""

how much is sick pay £62 or there abouts

Phill
24-Nov-09, 11:55
and after 5 days when the kids are starving the eleccy meter is starving the cupboards are empty, then it may jolt the memory"" o but wait i remember i have a job, if i go to it i will get a reward called pay "

Aye. I used to work for a while in a public sector outfit which had a good benefits scheme and the amount of people who suffered Mondaymorningitus was pretty amazing, why work when you can sleep your hangover off and get paid for it.

They spent thousands on occupational health and consultants and had the regular sickies interviewed but it didn't make a jot of difference.

All they needed to do was NOT pay sick for the first 3 days, that would have solved the problem!

Generally when you take a job you get like a contract and stuff, it says like you gotta turn up and do stuff n' stuff. And if you do turn n' stuff and do stuff n' stuff you get like paid man. It's so cool!

I remember when I used to have to pay my employer for permission to go to work!

The next thing y'know they'll be giving like bankers bonuses for doing crazy investments to make loadsamoney dead quick, that'll end in tears I tell ye'..........oh , it has.