PDA

View Full Version : scanner frequencies

DM07
23-Nov-09, 13:53
hi there does any1 have any scanner frequencies? if so could u pm me plz thanks:)

Metalattakk
23-Nov-09, 15:32
Eh, why do you think it's called a 'scanner'? :roll:

joxville
23-Nov-09, 15:46
Lol Metal. If only I was home from work ten minutes sooner. :)

Phill
23-Nov-09, 16:12
88 to 91 Mhz WFM

:roll:
A bit MOR but it all depends on what you want to listen to.
There are quite literally thousands and thousands of frequencies, d'you wanna be more specific?

Or as Metalattakk rightly points out, do wot it sayz on the tin.

This makes for interesting reading:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/topics/legislation/wtact1949.pdf

joxville
23-Nov-09, 16:29
What is the purpose of a scanner?

Is it so you can listen in to the emergency services then use the little info gleaned to start rumours? :eek:

:D

Phill
23-Nov-09, 16:34
What is the purpose of a scanner?

Is it so you can listen in to the emergency services then use the little info gleaned to start rumours?

Very little info indeed, they've all gawn digicul now.
Still, you can listen to your neighbours cordless phone, more rumour and scandal to be gleaned there.

Div,nae panic, only the old analogue phones can be listened into. If your on a new DECT handset then only the MI5 & CIA listen in........generally!

joxville
23-Nov-09, 16:35
I guess almost everyone in Caithness must own a scanner then. ;)

Phill
23-Nov-09, 16:58
Yer probably right. If you forgot what your doing tomorrow, ask your neighbours :Razz

Phill
23-Nov-09, 17:09
Anyway, if you woz usin' yer scanner t' scan you might have caught who & what it was that caused this in the sky today:

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/KinlossTLT09/contrails.jpg

Kirdon
23-Nov-09, 17:26
Anyway, if you woz usin' yer scanner t' scan you might have caught who & what it was that caused this in the sky today:

http://i805.photobucket.com/albums/yy337/Phill_Rawlins/KinlossTLT09/contrails.jpg

4 jets out over the pentland firth, great to watch.

Bazeye
23-Nov-09, 17:52
Scanners stopped being fun when you couldnt listen to mobile phones and the emergency services.

Phill
23-Nov-09, 18:01
a very drunk pilot probably just out of the camps lol

Mebbe y' reet. Pilots were missin' airports by miles a few weeks back.

:lol:

DM07
23-Nov-09, 23:51
You do not get any type of phones on the scanner anymore or emergency services thats y i am asking for Frequencies to see wat you can still listen to

dx100uk
24-Nov-09, 01:10
You do not get any type of phones on the scanner anymore or emergency services thats y i am asking for Frequencies to see wat you can still listen to

well for the minute until they go trbo or tetra

rescue choppers/coastguard/sar etc etc are all still listenable. plus ofcourse their control centres on hf

dx

jimbews
24-Nov-09, 10:36

A good start is joining the group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scottish-scanning/
and then look in the files section.

Much of it is out of date, for example the police have moved to Airwave which can not be received. The other emergency services are alo in the process of moving to this.

There's still stuff like aircraft on VHF. Marine frequencies.
Remember to check the reception mode required.
Of course all VHF reception is line of sight (or fractionally more) so, dpending on your location, aircraft may be a better bet.

If your scanner can do short wave, especially if it can receive SSB (that's either USB or LSB) then long range reception is possible.

As a kid in Wick I used to listen to short wave broadcasters, even receiving the likes of Australia. But that predates the likes of scanners and was on an ancient valve radio (well, it probably wasn't that old at the time, but would be ancient now :-) )

Of course in these days it was possible to pick up Wick radio without even trying. I remember it sometimes "broke through" on the sound system in the West Church. Just as well it was the calling frequency and not the actual ship to shore telephone calls which could be rather colourfull!!

JimBews

Phill
24-Nov-09, 12:09
rescue choppers/coastguard/sar etc etc are all still listenable. plus ofcourse their control centres on hf

Until the daft s privatise it all and follow the CG line and HF is scrapped.

And then once they've got rid of the HF infrastructure they'll realise they actually need and replace it with a halfarsed version at huge public cost, but heyho.

Fran
25-Nov-09, 01:33
Mebbe y' reet. Pilots were missin' airports by miles a few weeks back.

:lol:
The two of them were very low when i was driving to and back from john o Groats tonight.

teddybear1873
25-Nov-09, 04:48
Scanners stopped being fun when you couldnt listen to mobile phones and the emergency services.

I remember listening to a female on her mobile years ago. She was 2 timing her husband. She was telling her new boyfriend that she was going to get her husband drunk that night, pack her bags and leave him. Think it was up west somewhere, around Reay I think.