PDA

View Full Version : Control of Dogs (Scotland) bill

cuddlepop
22-Nov-09, 16:02
Has anyone else read the TEC minutes for HC response to this new bill; would post a link but I'm finding it difficult to do.

TRANSPORT, ENVIRONMENTAL AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
COMMITTEE – 19 November 2009
NoTec-104-19
Control of Dogs (Scotland) Bill – Financial Memorandum

As far as I'm aware it now looks like the responsibility will be removed from the Police and be placed with local authoritys.
Dog fouling,strays,dangerous dogs,barking dogs etc.

Ayone know anymore?:confused

BINBOB
22-Nov-09, 16:10
Has anyone else read the TEC minutes for HC response to this new bill; would post a link but I'm finding it difficult to do.

TRANSPORT, ENVIRONMENTAL AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
COMMITTEE – 19 November 2009
NoTec-104-19
Control of Dogs (Scotland) Bill – Financial Memorandum

As far as I'm aware it now looks like the responsibility will be removed from the Police and be placed with local authoritys.
Dog fouling,strays,dangerous dogs,barking dogs etc.

Ayone know anymore?:confused

I think that is already in operation....mop top will know.;)

cuddlepop
22-Nov-09, 16:50
I think that is already in operation....mop top will know.;)

I thought we had a thread on here which stated strays would no longer be the responsibilty of the council with regards to placing them in your local rescue centre as the council would not pay for accommodation.:confused

This bill means that the HC has full responsibilty and no longer a responsibilty of the police.

mop top
22-Nov-09, 20:40
Just heard about this at work on Thursday. Local authorities in England took over all responsibilities for stray dogs out with working hours a couple of years ago. Police in Scotland still have responsibility to take in stray dogs handed in by members of public outwith normal working hours. They are then picked up by the local authority and held for 7 days to see if they are claimed by their owners, after which time if noone comes forward to claim them they can be rehomed by the local authority or put to sleep if a new owner cannot be found.:~(

The local authority already deal with stray dog, dog fouling and dog barking compaints. As far as i am aware the local authority will not be taking on dangerous dog control as part of their responsibility this will remain with the police. However as i did only have a brief read of the bill i could be wrong so will read it again more thoroughly tomorrow and apologies in advance if i am wrong cuddlepop.

Previously Balmore centre in Caithness had the contract for the housing of strays for the Highland council for the statuatory 7 day holding period and after the 7 days were up and the dog was not claimed it was signed over by the Highland council to the sspca who then rehomed it. The thread on here was saying that the council were no longer using Balmore to house their dogs for the 7 day holding period as they could not afford to pay the new charges, not that that council were no longer responsible for strays during the 7 day holding period. The Highland council are housing their own strays and then rehoming them if not claimed.

cheers moptop

cuddlepop
23-Nov-09, 13:00
Cheers for that Moptop Oh was reading the bill lastnight and its heavy going so best of luck.:eek:

Thanks for that.:D