PDA

View Full Version : Sudden changes in weather

Ricco
22-Nov-09, 12:01
Isn't it amazing how fast the weather changes these days! When I got up it was looking like being a real noce day - blue skies, gentle breeze. I let the chookies out (got 3 about 4 weeks ago), hung out the washing and tidied up the garden. Then minutes ago a real hooley came through - horizontal rain, wind threatening to take the laundry off to the North and the chickens belted into their run. Now, 15 minutes later the wind has gone, the rain is easing and the skies are clearing again. Weird! :confused

upolian
22-Nov-09, 12:05
ill agree there! ive been out working.clear sky,bit of sun, half hour later it spits with rain,another 15minutes and its dancing with rain,yet another half hour later sky is clear and the suns back[evil]

riggerboy
22-Nov-09, 12:10
i that`ll be why we call it the winter up here changes qeeeker than a womans mind

Mik.M.
22-Nov-09, 12:10
ill agree there! ive been out working.clear sky,bit of sun, half hour later it spits with rain,another 15minutes and its dancing with rain,yet another half hour later sky is clear and the suns back[evil]
The Caithness climate is never boring though.:lol:

Jester
22-Nov-09, 13:39
After living in various places around the UK, I think the weather up here is great :D

Rheghead
22-Nov-09, 13:43
not wanting to beat the drum again but violent changes in weather is a predicted consequence of Climate-change so we'd best adapt or change.

Bazeye
22-Nov-09, 14:27
Been raining here non stop since last Monday.:(

Ricco
22-Nov-09, 15:52
i that`ll be why we call it the winter up here changes qeeeker than a womans mind

Naw - nothing changes that fast! :D

Ricco
22-Nov-09, 15:53
not wanting to beat the drum again but violent changes in weather is a predicted consequence of Climate-change so we'd best adapt or change.

But Rheghead - in yesterday's weather there was news leaked out of some secret research file that clearly stated that all the reports about climate change were fabricated. Was in the Daily Mail - may be online.

BINBOB
22-Nov-09, 15:58

U are on top form today!!!:lol:

Jester
22-Nov-09, 15:59
But Rheghead - in yesterday's weather there was news leaked out of some secret research file that clearly stated that all the reports about climate change were fabricated. Was in the Daily Mail - may be online.

Would anyone really be surprised if this was true?

Rheghead
22-Nov-09, 16:09

Must be right enough then! :roll: :lol:

riggerboy
22-Nov-09, 16:14
U are on top form today!!!:lol:

blame tonka he got me going on another thread told me i was being nice and it wasnt becoming of me lol

but thanks i do try to amuse some and annoy others lol

BINBOB
22-Nov-09, 16:31
blame tonka he got me going on another thread told me i was being nice and it wasnt becoming of me lol

but thanks i do try to amuse some and annoy others lol

It deffo works!!!;)

riggerboy
22-Nov-09, 16:49
It deffo works!!!;)

what i amuse you
or

annoy you

Stavro
22-Nov-09, 18:12

Yes, that's right. University of East Anglia was responsible, wasn't it? Real scientists know that "global warming due to CO2" is a political con. :D

Rheghead
22-Nov-09, 18:23
Real scientists know that "global warming due to CO2" is a political con. :D

Who are these scientists? :confused

Alice in Blunderland
22-Nov-09, 19:51
Who are these scientists? :confused

Now come on Rheghead Stavro cant tell you who they are...............

The Government will come along and wipe them out for daring to challenge their political con................ ;) :lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
22-Nov-09, 20:01
Climate change.Global warming.Naw,its just because the weather in Scotland in the winter is pish.:lol::lol:

Stavro
22-Nov-09, 20:13
Now come on Rheghead Stavro cant tell you who they are...............

Well, I can give you a clue, it's not Al Gore, that's for sure! :lol:

Do you two believe every piece of propaganda you read without thinking? :eek:

upolian
22-Nov-09, 20:53
The Caithness climate is never boring though.:lol:
so true[lol]
today it was a nice calm morning,afternoon rain,and then calm again,i just dont know:roll:

Rheghead
22-Nov-09, 21:19
Well, I can give you a clue, it's not Al Gore, that's for sure! :lol:

Do you two believe every piece of propaganda you read without thinking? :eek:

No we don't, I do listen to good science from reputable sources though. So who are these real scientists that say it's a load of rubbish? :confused

I'll be very fair with you, if you can convince me with good scientific info to contradict the findings of the IPCC then I'll go to church on Sunday with my heart open to God's word.

Green_not_greed
22-Nov-09, 23:24

The article can be found at

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1229740/Hackers-expose-global-warming-Claims-leaked-emails-reveal-research-centre-massaged-temperature-data.html

Its not all climate change data. Just the United Nations report data which Governments heavily rely on.

Not wanting to be cynical, but if the data was wrong, wouldn't Governments have less need to raise CO2 taxes and use climate change as another excuse to control the public and to bleed us all dry?

Rheghead
22-Nov-09, 23:37
There's a lot of 'interpretation' of the details by non scientists, the head of the organisation didn't seem too worried mind. Not a lot to go on, all double edged words without saying anything.

Rheghead
22-Nov-09, 23:56
Yes, that's right. University of East Anglia was responsible, wasn't it? Real scientists know that "global warming due to CO2" is a political con. :D

Just read up, these are the words of the real scientists ie. the ones doing the job.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2009/11/the-cru-hack/#more-1853

So it just shows that the hackers don't know what they reading or the context it was meant so they cherrypicked what they could to make it sound fraudulent.

Phill
23-Nov-09, 00:27
ah'm not convinced by the global warming thingy directly due to the emissions we put out.

Politics and money have distorted, twisted and cheapened any arguments.

Yes, there is a change in climate.
Yes, the human race and our output & emissions have an impact.

But I am not buying into the arguments that it is entirely down to us and we need to start planting turbines everywhere and carving up the countryside in the name of the environment.

I don't think the data can be trusted for or against, it's always going to have a bias.

The world is a constantly evolving and changing planet, a few (million?) years ago we could walk through forests from Caithness to Norway, apparently!
But we can't anymore, why... 'cos it's the aeryplanes see. So we need to tax them (read us) more.

But if all these governments were so concerned about this data and how we are impacting the planet why haven't they banned cars, buses, planes, TV's, anything electric, fires, boilers, cows and a whole host of ozone depleting, icecap melting, co2 producing items?

Tosh and bunkum I think.

I seem to remember a water shortage when I was a kid, the reservoirs in the Lake District dried up and there was hose pipe bans (oh how we wished we could afford a hosepipe).
The next year it pished down all summer.
Now, we have floods.

Some places in the world used to be lush forest's, now deserts. (and I'm not talking about man-made deforestation.)

Yes the climate is changing but don't believe we need to be taxed for it!

Rheghead
23-Nov-09, 00:31
But I am not buying into the arguments that it is entirely down to us...

Reputable scientists don't buy that notion either. They also recognise that approximately a third of the observed warming is due the Sun.

Phill
23-Nov-09, 00:47
Reputable scientists don't buy that notion either. They also recognise that approximately a third of the observed warming is due the Sun.

Aye but if we let the various govt's and quango bodies to carry on, that is what they want us to believe.

And how do we differentiate between the perceived global "warming" and the nature of the planets?

tonkatojo
23-Nov-09, 01:08
Aye but if we let the various govt's and quango bodies to carry on, that is what they want us to believe.

And how do we differentiate between the perceived global "warming" and the nature of the planets?

Quite frankly it doesn't matter a toss what we Joe public think, the powers that be want more taxes and we have to cough up or else !!.

Rheghead
23-Nov-09, 07:49

By the use of radiative forcing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiative_forcing) equations, they can compare which components of climate change will have any major effect on the temperature.

If you don't think that greenhouse gases have the effect of being responsible for most of the warming then your task of investigation is twofold,

a) Explain why the GHGs aren't contributing to most of the temperature increases, ie the radiative forcings are wrong for GHGs
b) Find an agent to substitute for GHGs which are capable of causing the observed rises in temperature, ie radiative forcings are incorrect for solar etc

Either you have to admit that the calculated radiative forcing for each component are correct and conclude that GHGs are the biggest culprit or conclude that there is an unknown agent like the Hand of God is playing a part.

Phill
23-Nov-09, 13:23
By the use of radiative forcing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiative_forcing) equations, they can compare which components of climate change will have any major effect on the temperature.

But isn't this based on thought experiments and not physics?

"The IPCC radiative forcing can never occur in the real world. "

Again, gov't & quango's tax propaganda!

topotheuk
23-Nov-09, 13:30
Climate change.Global warming.Naw,its just because the weather in Scotland in the winter is pish.

Haha, pmsl, love it!!

Scorpio12thNov
23-Nov-09, 13:54
The weather is changing due to climate change...

I'm in my mid twenties & the last time I remember snowfall in the months of Nov-Dec I was 15. We are nearly in Dec now, & the sun is shining in to my living room:confusedThe seasons are definately changing...

More & more people are inhabiting this planet we have acquired, approx. 6.8billion people now, & that's expected to jump to 7billion by Feb10. Considering we hit our first billion people in 1802, really is a radical leap. The more people there are, the more houses we need, more food we need, therefore more animals will be born & then slaughtered, more children in third world countries will be knitting our clothes for pennies a week, more plastics will be produced to give us our packaged meat, more cars will be manufactured & inevitably, the more people there are, the more choice there is out there. & that's how we're in such a bloody mess, far too much choice out there.

I feel that in order to clean up our planet, we have to follow in the steps of the Chinese & manage the population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy

roadbowler
23-Nov-09, 14:43

a third? not very reputable then in my opinion!

Stavro
23-Nov-09, 18:48
I'll be very fair with you, if you can convince me with good scientific info to contradict the findings of the IPCC then I'll go to church on Sunday with my heart open to God's word.

I've given up trying to convince the willingly blind. On the evolution/creation discussion, for example, the only responses from you to detailed answers to your glib questions were more glib questions and ridicule.

Changes in climate are brought about by Sun cycles. Mr Gore (who has made himself an enormous fortune from this issue) and his friends are a little economical with the truth concerning the data they choose to display.

Having your "heart open to God's word" is entirely down to you - it has nothing to do with me. Sorry. :eek:

Rheghead
23-Nov-09, 18:54
But isn't this based on thought experiments and not physics?

"The IPCC radiative forcing can never occur in the real world. "

Again, gov't & quango's tax propaganda!

It's based on physics.

Rheghead
23-Nov-09, 18:57
Changes in climate are brought about by Sun cycles. Mr Gore (who has made himself an enormous fortune from this issue) and his friends are a little economical with the truth concerning the data they choose to display.

You failed again on a simple request.

Changes in climate are brought about by Sun cycles but over very long periods because the Sun cycles happen over long periods. What you need to explain is why we have had a rapid rise in temperature in the last 100 years.

Scorpio12thNov
23-Nov-09, 19:07
Changes in climate are brought about by Sun cycles but over very long periods because the Sun cycles happen over long periods. What you need to explain is why we have had a rapid rise in temperature in the last 100 years.

Apart from ourselves heating up our own planet, the sun is getting bigger & bigger, therefore getting closer to earth. Hence why temperature is rising.

roadbowler
23-Nov-09, 19:12
perhaps you could explain the medievel warm period then? Lol since 1998, What warming are you speaking of?

Rheghead
23-Nov-09, 19:21
Apart from ourselves heating up our own planet, the sun is getting bigger & bigger, therefore getting closer to earth. Hence why temperature is rising.

OK let us just run with your idea for a moment. The Earth has warmed up by ~0.6C +/- 0.2C over the last century, for simplicity say 0.6C. Let us assume that solar is responsible for 66% of the observed heating(a healthy sceptical figure). If we extrapolate your theory into the next 10 millennia when we expect the next ice age, we would expect temperatures to be 40C above normal. :eek:

I think we need to go back to the drawing board somehow.

Stavro
23-Nov-09, 19:26
Yep, sure is hot.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=2495

Pass the suntan lotion. :lol:

Rheghead
23-Nov-09, 19:26
perhaps you could explain the medievel warm period then? Lol since 1998, What warming are you speaking of?

Are you sure there was a medieval warm period or was that just a regional warming spell over Europe that kept records? When historians look for references to a global warming period in other continents then the notion of a medieval global warming period is very spurious indeed.

Your second point can also be explained by the fact that some centres have 2005 as the hottest year and temperatures since 1998 have been hotter than the years before 1998. 1998 was just an exceptionally hot year globally, except for over Europe.

Scorpio12thNov
23-Nov-09, 19:45
OK let us just run with your idea for a moment. The Earth has warmed up by ~0.6C +/- 0.2C over the last century, for simplicity say 0.6C. Let us assume that solar is responsible for 66% of the observed heating(a healthy sceptical figure). If we extrapolate your theory into the next 10 millennia when we expect the next ice age, we would expect temperatures to be 40C above normal. :eek:
I think we need to go back to the drawing board somehow.

The thing is Rheg, the planet has slowly been getting hotter since it's birth, & it WON'T cool down. The more people & the more pollution we add to the atmosphere the hotter the planet is going to get...

So lets just face it... There's NOTHING we CAN do to fix this problem. Humans will not give up thier luxurious lifes or material things in order to "Save The Planet". The planet is getting hotter naturally (the sun) & unaturally (us).

Q. So just how can we cool down Planet Earth?
A. We can't!
Conclusion. Who gives a damn? Because Earth will die one day, as will we...

tonkatojo
23-Nov-09, 19:50
The thing is Rheg, the planet has slowly been getting hotter since it's birth, & it WON'T cool down. The more people & the more pollution we add to the atmosphere the hotter the planet is going to get...

So lets just face it... There's NOTHING we CAN do to fix this problem. Humans will not give up thier luxurious lifes or material things in order to "Save The Planet". The planet is getting hotter naturally (the sun) & unaturally (us).

Q. So just how can we cool down Planet Earth?
A. We can't!
Conclusion. Who gives a damn? Because Earth will die one day, as will we...

Where does the past ice ages come into your philosophy ??.

Scorpio12thNov
23-Nov-09, 20:11
Where does the past ice ages come into your philosophy ??.

How many Ice Ages have we had? 1,2,3,4 or 5 even? The answer - nobody knows!

Does it really matter where we came from? How we got here? How many Ice Ages we've had? No! Because it doesn't determine where we're going or how we're getting there.

I'd would love it if the planet was as green as what it was (in more ways than one;)) but it isn't going to happen unless EVERYBODY ON EARTH co-operates. Lets plant lots of trees. Millions upon Billions of trees. Lets stop building new buildings, we can renovate old buildings, houses etc. We can be self sufficient by growing our own food, stop producing so much plastic...I could go on & on man...

If we all became friends, rather than enemies, if we made peace, not war, & if there was no jealousy around, believe me, the world would be harmonious & the weather would improve.

Did it ever rain in Neverland???

George Brims
24-Nov-09, 02:19
The thing is Rheg, the planet has slowly been getting hotter since it's birth, & it WON'T cool down.
Actually it's been gradually cooling. It was a ball of molten rock to begin with. Now it has a solid crust. However the *atmosphere* gets warmer and colder due to a variety of causes.