PDA

View Full Version : Sochad Storm

jimsuth
22-Nov-09, 09:13
Hi Folks, Can anybody help with the meaning of Shochad storm? My understanding is that its a snow storm that happens in spring while the birds are nesting......is this true?

I'm very keen to find other Caithness expressions (as opposed to single words) can you help?

Kenn
22-Nov-09, 10:11
I thought a shochad was a peewit/lapwing and would therefore think that a "Shochad storm," would refer to the large flocks of these birds that often gather.
I will be interested to find out what the expression means.

riggerboy
22-Nov-09, 10:22
shochad storm is the first storm of the spring, from what i`m told but this may not be fact, but it came from harry and he is usually pretty good at this sort of thing

gleeber
22-Nov-09, 10:58
Aye Shochad storms is usually unsettled weather experienced in early spring. It doesnt invlove snow but wind and rain. They can last for 3 months. :eek:
Theyre usually followed by the May gobs.

riggerboy
22-Nov-09, 11:32
ahhhh the may gobs now theres a thing

what are the may gobs ???????

Scunner
22-Nov-09, 12:33
Aye Shochad storms is usually unsettled weather experienced in early spring. It doesnt invlove snow but wind and rain. They can last for 3 months. :eek:

Then the lupin gale

cat
22-Nov-09, 13:41
apparently its early april just before the lapwing lays eggs.then theres the lambing storm and to end it all theres the may gobs.think this can happen any time in may(in like lion out like a lamb,or vice versa)and it just means storm(gob).well thats what it means on stroma anyway!

Shabbychic
22-Nov-09, 14:08

May Gobs sounds like a good idea to get rid of all the phlegm build up, caused by the April showers. :D

northener
22-Nov-09, 16:22
May Gobs is traditionally a period of strong (normally Easterly) weather in May. I know a few lads who won't bother putting out creels until after the May Gobs have passed.

riggerboy
22-Nov-09, 16:53
May Gobs is traditionally a period of strong (normally Easterly) weather in May. I know a few lads who won't bother putting out creels until after the May Gobs have passed.

i know a few lads that wont put out creels at all

but then again when i give it some thought they arent fishermen, they work in a store,

northener
22-Nov-09, 17:51
i know a few lads that wont put out creels at all

but then again when i give it some thought they arent fishermen, they work in a store,

[lol]

They could put boxes out instead, though?:Razz

riggerboy
22-Nov-09, 17:54
[lol]

They could put boxes out instead, though?:Razz

ahh but not before the May gobs have passed or all the hard work would be blowed away

northener
22-Nov-09, 18:04
ahh but not before the May gobs have passed or all the hard work would be blowed away

Well, there you go. Who'd have thought that being at the creels had so much in common with store keeping.:D

peedie man
22-Nov-09, 18:10
After the May gobs you get the June gale

riggerboy
22-Nov-09, 18:20
Well, there you go. Who'd have thought that being at the creels had so much in common with store keeping.:D

lol that made me chuckle your a funny sort you are lol

gleeber
22-Nov-09, 20:28
Ive worked outside all my life and those easterlys are legendry. It can last for 4 weeks. Mind you Ive seen easterlies in June lasting a week or 10 days.

jimsuth
07-Dec-09, 08:09
Thanks guys, this is really helpful, I remembered this phrase from childhood and am thinking of naming a new piece of music Shochad Storm so its good to have confirmation of it's meaning......The expression has stuck with me through my life. This piece will be performed by The 'True North Orchestra' which I put together for the Gathering 2009...http://www.myspace.com/truenorthorchestra