PDA

View Full Version : Manager says Academy players cheated???

Gogglebox
20-Apr-06, 14:03
Just read the article in The Sun(page 67) with Alistair Budge's claims that some of the players deliberately threw the game against Keith when they lost 7-0 so he would get the sack

Anyone know whats behind this and if there is any truth in it or is it just sour grapes on the ex-managers part

Sounds as though the SFA maybe asked to look in to it

Definately seem like a club looking to regularly self implode if its not financial irregularities its now player irregularities

No matter what the players think of the manager they should never go out and throw a game, its not fair to the fans or the other teams in the league.
If its true the offending players should be banned from all levels of football
If its not true surely the accuser should get the same

ullevi
20-Apr-06, 14:19
It seems Wick Academy cannot get anything correct between the WADF and now this story it seems to be all bad publicity for them.

If the players have indeed been throwing games it is a disgrace why did they not just have a face to face meeting with there manager?I suppose that would have made too much sense typical of the youth of today really

DW
20-Apr-06, 15:04
It seems Wick Academy cannot get anything correct between the WADF and now this story it seems to be all bad publicity for them.

If the players have indeed been throwing games it is a disgrace why did they not just have a face to face meeting with there manager?

Let's not wait for the truth or an investigation.
Let's just jump to any old conclusions.

I suppose that would have made too much sense typical of the youth of today really
And another thing [lol], let's just make a few cliche-ridden generalising statements while we are at it.

Nothing like some reasoned observations to stir the blood eh?

unicorn
20-Apr-06, 15:09
I read this in yesterdays p&j and just thought it sounded like sour grapes but I am sure the truth will come out after an enquiry

nancypotter45
20-Apr-06, 15:12
Not everything you read/reported in paper is true. You have to wonder if ex-manager would have made these comments if he hadn't been sacked? I think he would have been sacked any way regardless of 7-0 drubbing as Wick Academy haven't improved in 3 years he was in charge not to say that they will improve with a new manager.

ullevi
20-Apr-06, 15:33
Academy have been a joke for a few years they had a Chairman who ran a Charity but would not reveal its bank account details to anyone and kept the club a closed shop by only letting him and his cronies into the commitee.He or the club are now being investigated by the SFA.

I said IF they had been throwing games not they had been throwing games which does not jump to any conclusions

The Pepsi Challenge
20-Apr-06, 15:48
Threw the game? Never, Academy are just terrible.

pultneytooner
20-Apr-06, 18:44
They threw the game, that makes me laugh, they are just a poor football team, that's all.

Jeid
20-Apr-06, 19:20
This would be more believable if they actually knew how to win games. How can a team throw a game that they would more than likely have lost.

Carlo Gambino
20-Apr-06, 19:35
Yes ,there seems to be a hint of sour grapes but it was in the Sun & you cant believe all thats in there. Id agree with Jeid , they would have lost anyway.
You can have all the determination in the world, all the passion,but when your up against a team with all that & talent, then you have no luck, or in Wick`s case ,a 7-0 rout.

The manager can only work with what he`s got, & compared to the top teams in the highland league, its unfortuneately not much im afraid

Cedric Farthsbottom III
20-Apr-06, 21:21
Threw the game? Never, Academy are just terrible.

This is what I was thinking after reading it too.:o)

acameron
20-Apr-06, 21:38
I canna believe that the players threw a game to get the manager the sack. A manager does not get the sack because of one game result. If I remember right, Budge resigned last year and he was talked out of it.

pultneytooner
20-Apr-06, 21:50
This would be more believable if they actually knew how to win games. How can a team throw a game that they would more than likely have lost.

True, you have to be able to win them before you can be accused of throwing them.:)

willowbankbear
20-Apr-06, 22:09
Theyre just not very good,im afraid. In short I agree with pepsi

connieb19
20-Apr-06, 22:12
Theyre just not very good,im afraid. In short I agree with pepsiI have to disagree, I think they're super duper..lol[smirk]

2little2late
20-Apr-06, 22:19
If a manager cannot improve a team's performance after more than 3 years in charge, then in my book he is not good enough for the job. To put the blame on the players is out of order, just an excuse to cover his own downfall. After all his record speaks for itself. 58 defeats, 22 wins and 12 draws. Not very good is it?

I remember not so long ago he slated some of his players in public. That's not very professional like. I don't claim to know an awful lot about football, but I know enough to know that after three years without any great improvement it is time to get rid.

22 wins in three years, Budge should have been trying to acheive at least 22 wins in a season.

Gogglebox
20-Apr-06, 23:17
So if the team are so terrible and the club have no money and players dont seem to want to come this far north to play, can Wick Academy ever expect a manager to give them any better results and performance than what they are currently getting - -
- - - Is there realistically improvement to be had?
Who do the fans want to be the new manager?

Gogglebox
20-Apr-06, 23:21
Actually also while im asking, if the ground development fund run by exchairman J Gunn (i think)is now unrelated to Wick Academy what is the money now for?

2little2late
20-Apr-06, 23:22
Who do the fans want to be the new manager?

Mickey Mouse

acameron
20-Apr-06, 23:27
Sven is looking for a job after the summer

Jeid
21-Apr-06, 01:11
Sven is looking for a job after the summer

True, but he has enough trouble picking his women, nevermind picking from Wick's sorry excuse for a team

tip top
21-Apr-06, 07:20
Lets hope the new manager will make it possible to take children to Academy games again without worrying about the new words they are going to learn.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Apr-06, 14:46
Perhaps if Academy started attracting better coaches, providing better facilities for young players, then yes, they may start improving... in a few years.

willowbankbear
21-Apr-06, 20:12
I heard Alex Mccleish was being tipped for the job & in his spare time he is going across the road to stack shelves in Home base, hope he puts the right stock in the right shelves over there, dont see him getting away with setting a jig saw in a kettles position:Razz

My pick would be, steve paterson but doubt it if He`d stack shelves up here?

obiron
21-Apr-06, 20:45
nowt wrong wi stacking shelves its a job. dont think steve paterson would be a good filler does he not like a good drink or 7

footie chick
21-Apr-06, 22:24
Perhaps if Academy started attracting better coaches, providing better facilities for young players, then yes, they may start improving... in a few years.
Exactly what is Wick Academy doing to encourage local kids/teenagers to become the team of the future? After all they are Wick's only hope the current lot aren't up to much

willowbankbear
22-Apr-06, 17:41
Come on outsider, weve already been banned from speaking about professional football, none of us wish to be banned speaking about the little bit of football that we can discuss, theres no point in masking words ,ye`ll get banned & so will we!

Loafer
23-Apr-06, 18:36
What exactly are Wick Academy hoping for in the future? Do they expect to get promotion to the Scottish League? I don't think so.

I think it is about time they realised where they are in football terms. Nearly bottom of the pile (if you take away Fort William, a SHINTY town!) and a few other duck eggs.

They need to get it into their heads that the best that can be achieved up here is to take the odd scalp of a top team and MAYBE, with a bit of luck like Gretna, get to a cup final. NOTHING ELSE.

You cannot go on continually sacking managers, who try their best from what there is in the area. And what happens when the manager gets sacked? That's right, put Pat Miller in his place for the 101st time. Forward thinking, eh?

I notice a lot of the players still want to play summer football as well. Until you get all the players ONLY playing Highland League, making sure they have a summer break, nothing will happen. Not even a cup final appearance.

Give Alistair Budge his due, he worked damn hard for the Academy with the little resources available to him.

In fact, Acadamy's best football was played under John Black. What happened to him. Sacked and replaced by Pat Miller!!

I rest my case.

The Loafer

lagertops
23-Apr-06, 20:29
Alistair Budge gave Wick 110%,sometimes he was a bit hot headed,but lets face it ,we all knew that when he caught the job.What he did do, was bring all the best players in the county together,gave up probably 30 hours a week off his time for nothing,and gave the young lads, Macadie and Gunn their
chance.He had a long term plan to work with as much local talent as possible.
Funny thing was, he was at a coaching coarse in Edinburgh when he received the dreaded call.Wick won't get any better imo.