PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the National Anthem

joxville
21-Nov-09, 16:35
Over the last few years I feel we British seemed to have lost our identity, mostly to Europe and the pc brigade. Also, with so many fighting in foreign lands in the name of our country I feel it's time we played the national anthem a lot more to help show our support to the fallen and wounded. I remember when the national anthem used to be played before tv closed down at night so I now suggest that it's time every tv station played it at some point in the evening, between 7pm-10pm, or there could be a set time so that you can't change channels to escape it. What do my fellow orgers think?

Scorpio12thNov
21-Nov-09, 16:42
I can hear where yer coming from man, I do.

But there's an argument here, what is our national anthem? God Save The Queen or Highland Cathedral?:confused

joxville
21-Nov-09, 16:43
We are classed as British therefore it's God Save The Queen.

butterfly
21-Nov-09, 17:05
Jox,i wouldna want to listen to that boring,depressing anthem every night.I think we should chuck it for something a bit more upbeat.

Scorpio12thNov
21-Nov-09, 17:08
Jox,i wouldna want to listen to that boring,depressing anthem every night.I think we should chuck it for something a bit more upbeat.

A techno version of Highland Cathedral Butterfly?[lol]

butterfly
21-Nov-09, 17:16
A techno version of Highland Cathedral Butterfly?[lol]

Yes Scorpio! Or how about Happiness by Ken Dodd!![lol]

Kevin Milkins
21-Nov-09, 17:55
Nothing wrong with being patriotic, but god save the queen does not float my boat at all.:confused

I just watched the Wales V Argentina game and both anthems are stirring, and I am about to watch the Scotland V Australia with yet another anthem that will get the hackles up.

Lets hope we get a good game of rugby, or it will be god save the queen, (Robinson).;)

Phill
21-Nov-09, 21:36
I believe we should be singing it 3 times a day, we should all stand and no matter where in the world we are we should face Buck' House.

So we can all practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdIZ6RlKWoE

:cool:

american gal
21-Nov-09, 23:20
We are classed as British therefore it's God Save The Queen.
There we go that says it all!! Surley you should have writen we ARE British not we are CLASSED as british. I think that is because deep down you know we are scottish and no we shouldnt have to sing god save the queen. Flower of scotland sounds good to me or pride of scotland or i belong to glasgow or even the northern lights of auld aberdeen. These songs will be more suitable to me anyday. God save the who.....:roll:

Doolally
21-Nov-09, 23:42
I'm all for the national anthem but they'd probably make us sing it in Gaelic these days.

joxville
21-Nov-09, 23:47
There we go that says it all!! Surley you should have writen we ARE British not we are CLASSED as british. I think that is because deep down you know we are scottish and no we shouldnt have to sing god save the queen. Flower of scotland sounds good to me or pride of scotland or i belong to glasgow or even the northern lights of auld aberdeen. These songs will be more suitable to me anyday. God save the who.....:roll:

I deliberately used the word 'classed'. We may be Scottish or English etc. by birth but as a fighting nation we are classed as British by the enemy, who makes no distinction between our borders and identities.

I agree that God Save The Queen is a dirge however the thread is about whether the National Anthem should be played more, not what it should be, which has been the subject of a previous thread a few months ago. Whilst I'm proud to be Scottish, I'm equally proud to be British and still respect it's chosen anthem.

Bruce
21-Nov-09, 23:54
god save the queen is anti scottish verse 4.wont catch me singing that crap

tonkatojo
21-Nov-09, 23:58
I deliberately used the word 'classed'. We may be Scottish or English etc. by birth but as a fighting nation we are classed as British by the enemy, who makes no distinction between our borders and identities.

I agree that God Save The Queen is a dirge however the thread is about whether the National Anthem should be played more, not what it should be, which has been the subject of a previous thread a few months ago. Whilst I'm proud to be Scottish, I'm equally proud to be British and still respect it's chosen anthem.

I completely agree with your first paragraph jox, as a once soldier I swore allegiance to her majesty I see no reason to go back on my word, mind you her governments are a different thing.

Amadan
22-Nov-09, 10:58
I think the national anthem for Scotland should be Freedom Come All Ye by Hamish Henderson.

Here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22kQIy8I9Js

Bazeye
22-Nov-09, 11:20
Its official, were not British anymore. were European so expect our new National anthem to be some Eurovision type trash called something like la la la la boing boing.

riggerboy
22-Nov-09, 11:35
rebellious scot to crush and all that

no i dont think i`ll vote yes on this 1

Rheghead
22-Nov-09, 11:47
rebellious scot to crush and all that

no i dont think i`ll vote yes on this 1

So long as you aren't rebellious then you've nothing to fear or be offended by the lyrics. :lol:

riggerboy
22-Nov-09, 11:49
So long as you aren't rebellious then you've nothing to fear or be offended by the lyrics. :lol:

hello i`m a scot and the english want to crush us rebellious or not,

get a grip ya dafty lol

what do yuo call 1000 english mean at the bttom of the sea ??????????????????????

>

>

>

>

>

a start

Bazeye
22-Nov-09, 14:23
Substitute Muslims/Asians/ blacks for Englishmen and you'd have got a right slagging.

Scorpio12thNov
22-Nov-09, 14:36
Substitute Muslims/Asians/ blacks for Englishmen and you'd have got a right slagging.

Substitute til a Weiker & ye'll get a standing ovation:Razz

NickInTheNorth
22-Nov-09, 14:53
1. God save our gracious Queen
Long live our noble Queen
God save the Queen
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Queen
2. O Lord our God arise
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall
Confound their politics
Frustrate their knavish tricks
On Thee our hopes we fix
God save us all

3. Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour
Long may she reign
May she defend our laws
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen

4. Not in this land alone
But be God's mercies known
From shore to shore
Lord make the nations see
That men should brothers be
And form one family
The wide world over

5. From every latent foe
From the assassins blow
God save the Queen
O'er her thine arm extend
For Britain's sake defend
Our mother, prince, and friend
God save the Queen

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush
God save the King

Don't really see how any of that offers any support to our troops, just a load of jingoistic, god bothering nonsense.

I would not be seen dead singing it, or standing while others do.

Load of antiquated tosh!

PantsMAN
22-Nov-09, 15:18

SNIP
I would be seen dead singing it, or standing while others do.

Load of antiquated tosh!

Get's my vote as a response..
Pip Pip!

Rheghead
22-Nov-09, 15:34
Load of antiquated tosh!

What is antiquated isn't always tosh and what is tosh isn't always antiquated. That said, history can't be changed, we either look back upon it with pride, embarrassment or pragmatism in the sense we are here where we are given our history. Changing our anthem won't make anyone feel more inclusive in our nation's heritage and I doubt anyone but the most sensitive will be offended by the national anthem's lyrics. Would papering over the politically incorrect cracks of history change a thing? :confused

NickInTheNorth
22-Nov-09, 16:20
What is antiquated isn't always tosh and what is tosh isn't always antiquated.

I would not disagree with that as a general statement Rheghead, however in this instance I believe it to be both antiquated and tosh :)

redeyedtreefrog
22-Nov-09, 19:44
I dont really like the anthem, it just gets confusing once Liz Windsor pops her clogs and we get a king instead.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
22-Nov-09, 19:52
I like Billy Connollys suggestion,The Theme to the Archers.

The Queen steps off the plane at Sydney and the band starts

Na na na na na na naaaaaaa.na na na na na naa!:lol::lol:

Phill
22-Nov-09, 21:20
Long live our noble Queen
God save the Queen
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Queen
2. O Lord our God arise
yadder yadder yadder

Well me, I didn't know it was all that. I've been mumbling all sorts....

Send her victorious
...mumblemumble....orious
wrong to use drains r us
rod gave the squeeze.

weeboyagee
23-Nov-09, 00:10
Rheggers - are you on a windup? God forbid that we have to put up with that hellish song in Scotland - V4 / V6 (depending on the version) - Riggerboy has it spot on - regardless of whether it is discounted or not in this modern day it is an English anthem imposed on the conquered nations. Its an insult to our nation of Scotland and a reminder that we are a conquered nation (they think!). Hail Caledonia!

WBG :cool:

weeboyagee
23-Nov-09, 00:11
Well me, I didn't know it was all that. I've been mumbling all sorts....

Send her victorious
...mumblemumble....orious
wrong to use drains r us
rod gave the squeeze.
Much prefer your version Phill - had me in stitches!

Rheghead
23-Nov-09, 00:12
Rheggers - are you on a windup? God forbid that we have to put up with that hellish song in Scotland - V4 - Riggerboy has it spot on - regardless of whether it is discounted or not in this modern day it is an English anthem imposed on the conquered nations. Its an insult to our nation of Scotland and a reminder that we are a conquered nation (they think!). Hail Caledonia!

No wind up at all, I've reread the words and it specifically mentions rebellious Scots, not Scots in general.

bingo1
23-Nov-09, 00:19
scottish english who cares? we are british wether we like it or not!:roll:

weeboyagee
23-Nov-09, 00:19
No wind up at all, I've reread the words and it specifically mentions rebellious Scots, not Scots in general.
The cap fits - I'm rebellious - I don't sing that national anthem - will I be brought to curb?

Scorpio12thNov
23-Nov-09, 00:21

It is a slanderous lyric that the English put in the song to shame us Scots. It is a racist lyric also, if one were to sing "those rebelious (no offence intended here btw) P#k#'s" it would be a VERY different story indeed!

I'll never sing God Save The Queen...

Rheghead
23-Nov-09, 00:23
It is a slanderous lyric that the English put in the song to shame us Scots. It is a racist lyric also, if one were to sing "those rebelious (no offence intended here btw) P#k#'s" it would be a VERY different story indeed!

I'll never sing God Save The Queen...

The rebellious Scots verse was never part of the official National Anthem. How is it racist? The rebellious nature of the rebellious Scots is now a matter of public record.

Scorpio12thNov
23-Nov-09, 21:32
The rebellious Scots verse was never part of the official National Anthem. How is it racist? The rebellious nature of the rebellious Scots is now a matter of public record.

It is racist as it is branding all scots as rebellious. Everyone getting tarred with the same brush.

Rheghead
23-Nov-09, 21:48
It is racist as it is branding all scots as rebellious. Everyone getting tarred with the same brush.

Nope, study the verse and the context. General Wade crushed the rebellious Scots, not the loyal Scots.

David Banks
23-Nov-09, 22:01

O Flower of Scotland gets my vote, especially the Corries' rendition.

Scorpio12thNov
23-Nov-09, 22:01
Regardless of the lyrics Rheg, I just hate the bloody tune:lol:

I suggested Highland Cathedral for our National Anthem, but that's another tune I can't stand. I merely suggested it as it is well known. But I would like an anthem for all the rebellious & non-rebellious scots out there which we can call our own;)

NickInTheNorth
23-Nov-09, 22:02
Nope, study the verse and the context. General Wade crushed the rebellious Scots, not the loyal Scots.

Rebellious scots = scots loyal to scotland
loyal scots = loyal to england

Rheghead
23-Nov-09, 22:35
Rebellious scots = scots loyal to scotland
loyal scots = loyal to england

Loyal Scots = Loyal to the Union and the Government

Rebellious Scots = Loyal to a papist pretender to the throne who would dissolve parliament and set back the interests of all Scots back to serfdom.