PDA

View Full Version : BBC - Silver Darlings/Recalling a Black Day (merged threads)

jings00
21-Nov-09, 12:14
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8364246.stm

for those interested

peter macdonald
21-Nov-09, 12:52
Thanks very much for posting the link
Its funny but there cant be too many fishing ports around the North Sea coast who have done so little to commemorate the people who lost their lives in the industry From larger places like New Bedford to small havens like Portskerra there is a stone ,a plaque or a sculpture to recognise their fishermen.
The former herring capital of Europe only seems to remember what it wants to .
May be an idea for the likes of Councillor Smith to do something useful for a change
PM
ps
The link also mentions poverty ,the 1920s and early 30s were very tough times around the Moray Firth due the markets for herring consisting mainly of defeated WW1 countries who were broke and Russia to whom Westminster would not give any credit to A look through the Old John O Groat Journals in the library shows that the Salvation Army in Wick and the Freemasons in the Barrogil Hall in Pulteney were providing soup kitchens to keep folk alive

trinkie
21-Nov-09, 14:17
Thank you for the link.

I have to agree with Peter MacDonald regarding the lack of a Memorial.
I hope something can be done before too long. Could someone local contact Mr Smith ? Perhaps it's time for a large nudge.

Trinkie

Mosser
21-Nov-09, 17:35
Good link but of the 37 lost 8 were from Wick and one from Staxigoe all the rest were from "stranger" ports, what tough times these good people lived, and died in.

robynaus
22-Nov-09, 00:03
Life must have been very hard for these fishing families. My G-Grandfater William Bain, his half Brother Donald and his B-I-L Alexander Cormack were lost at sea when returning from winter fishing out from Keiss in 1907. William was married to Mary Ann Mowat and had 5/6 children and Alexander had 3 sons and was married to Jane/Jean Bain. Donald was unmarried. I have 2 articles and a poem about this and also a story from British-Geneology written by a member fo a fishing family
regards to all robyn

robynaus
22-Nov-09, 00:12
Life must have been very hard for these fishing families. My G-Grandfater William Bain, his half Brother Donald and his B-I-L Alexander Cormack were lost at sea when returning from winter fishing out from Keiss in 1907. William was married to Mary Ann Mowat and had 5/6 children and Alexander had 3 sons and was married to Jane/Jean Bain. Donald was unmarried. I have 2 articles and a poem about this and also a story from British-Geneology written by a member fo a fishing family
regards to all robyn

Try this Sorry I don't know how to make a link
www.B-G Forums sponsored by Parish Chest Ltd. > County Forums including Ireland, Scotland, Wales and British Islands. > Scotland - Counties (Chapman Code - SCT) > Caithness (Chapman Code - CAI) > Caithness county-wide forum >Caithness Mamories
It was submitted by Sue McKay regards robyn

Bobinovich
22-Nov-09, 00:28
Here's the direct link (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21659) to save anyone else the hassle :D

robynaus
22-Nov-09, 04:05
Here's the direct link (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21659) to save anyone else the hassle :D

Thank you Bobinovich

Ricco
22-Nov-09, 09:35
Sue, what a marvellous account. It makes excellent reading... really enjoyed it. Thank you for outting in so much time.

peter macdonald
22-Nov-09, 12:14
Dear Councillor Smith
It is long been a source of wonder to many Wick people both resident and ex-pat why there is no memorial to the fishermen who lost their lives engaged in the industry that made Wick famous.It is one of the few fishing ports where a memorial of some description is not present From ports such as Grimsby to havens like Portskerra there is some recognition either by monument or plaque. This does not have to be a grand affair as one of the most effective I have seen is the series of simple white tablets in the chapel in New Bedford made famous by Melvilles novel Moby Dick I wonder if you could consider this suggestion and let me know the outcome

I received the ref no 00005427-0009-00000001-0001 at 11.13 today

Rheghead
22-Nov-09, 12:34
I can't see any monument forthcoming with this £12m cut back unless it gets funded by a lottery grant. I can think of loads of causes that need recognition in the form of a memorial display etc but in the end who is gonna pay for them and do we get to the point of being pigged-out on too many memorials for this and that?

The nicest statue was the one on Stornaway harbour of a fish gutter and a barrel, sort of captured the mood very well.

crayola
22-Nov-09, 12:39
Thanks for doing that Peter. It would be a fitting tribute.

It doesn't matter where those that were lost originated from. If they died fishing in Caithness waters then it's appropriate that they be remembered in Caithness, and in Wick in paricular.

peter macdonald
22-Nov-09, 12:46
Hi Rheggers
I can only ask the question !!!!
I think Wick however trades a bit on the biggest herring port in Europe thing so let them recognise the people who made it that way
However with these cuts coming Im not holding my breath
All the very best
PM

crayola
22-Nov-09, 13:00
That's a good point about funding Rheg. But it doesn't have to be council funded or even council led. How about a public appeal? You could raise a lot of money from the good people of Wick and even more during the next Harbourfest.

pat
22-Nov-09, 13:06
Over in Stornoway there are a couple of statues of 'Herring Girls'.
They are bronze and really well done, the gansey's have the knitting patterns and the repairs, the aprons have the fish scales, the fishes are so lifelike, the girls have their clouties round their fingers too - just as I remember my grannie, down to the way the headscarves were tied around the head and the way the hair is done, a tribute to the 'Herring Girls'.
There is at least one statue in Nairn, by the same artist as the ones here - Engebretsen, although cannot remember which one of family, they were born and brought up in Lewis but family originally from Norway.
If you are going through Nairn pop down to the harbour and have a look - well worth the detour.
These staues in commemoration of the 'Herring Girls' have only been done in the past 5 years - so as usual Wick tail end charlie.

peter macdonald
22-Nov-09, 13:11
A thought ..there is a lot of renovation going on in Lower Pulteney A lot of plaques have been installed in the buildings with sayings etc So why not a simple memorial inlaid in one of the gables Does not have to big and grand only tasteful and effective
PM

Amy-Winehouse
22-Nov-09, 16:05
Thanks very much for posting the link
Its funny but there cant be too many fishing ports around the North Sea coast who have done so little to commemorate the people who lost their lives in the industry From larger places like New Bedford to small havens like Portskerra there is a stone ,a plaque or a sculpture to recognise their fishermen.
The former herring capital of Europe only seems to remember what it wants to .
May be an idea for the likes of Councillor Smith to do something useful for a change
PM
ps
The link also mentions poverty ,the 1920s and early 30s were very tough times around the Moray Firth due the markets for herring consisting mainly of defeated WW1 countries who were broke and Russia to whom Westminster would not give any credit to A look through the Old John O Groat Journals in the library shows that the Salvation Army in Wick and the Freemasons in the Barrogil Hall in Pulteney were providing soup kitchens to keep folk alive

Well said Peter, I mentioned the fact that Wick has no memorial of any sort at the harbour to honour our lost fishermen, I feel we should because if they hadnt been here , Wick would still be smaller than Staxigoe.

Anyone interested in making this point to the councillors?

Amy-Winehouse
22-Nov-09, 16:11
I can't see any monument forthcoming with this £12m cut back unless it gets funded by a lottery grant. I can think of loads of causes that need recognition in the form of a memorial display etc but in the end who is gonna pay for them and do we get to the point of being pigged-out on too many memorials for this and that?

The nicest statue was the one on Stornaway harbour of a fish gutter and a barrel, sort of captured the mood very well.

Have you ever lost a friend over the side Rheghead? I have, I was at his funeral it was awful as he had 2 young kids.

I recall 3 fishermen drowned fron Wick in the last 15 years, why shouldnt they be honoured as well as the many others who have never come home whilst out to make their living.

It isnt asking much, & it would be good kuodos for the councillors who do get involved

Geo
23-Nov-09, 12:09

for those interested

Nice article by our very own Saveman!

Looking forward to the next one.

zappster
23-Nov-09, 23:35
I was aware of this but did not know the full story..why oh why did they not make a monument for these brave souls?

brandy
24-Nov-09, 00:46
i read about this several years ago down at the heritage center. it spoke of the families and friends standing safely on shore watching as their men floundered and drowned before their eyes, helpless to do anything other than pray.
i dont know what the population of wick was then, but it would have been a devestaing blow to the town as a whole, and a tragic loss to the community as a whole.

achingale
24-Nov-09, 14:41
What about doing it ourselves? What about some kind of fundraising event/s to their memory? It would take a long, long time but would be worth it in the end. I also read that there were mutterings over a memorial to the camp at Watten but there has been nothing done so far. I think things like this have to come from us now. I for one do not want history to be lost. What do you think orgers?

Amy-Winehouse
24-Nov-09, 15:53
I think we should have a memorial in Wick to our lost fishermen , Ive said it twice before on here & Ill say it again.

We have one the best museums in Scotland which is heavily fishing related-and next door to it is a half built memorial garden to war victims of the town, this is part of Wick`s history. A memorial to our lost fishermen is NOT too much to ask for, Every other harbour worth speaking about has one so why havnt we?

As for Watten, Im all for that if we get ours here in Wick

peter macdonald
30-Nov-09, 14:02
Hi guys Just to keep you updated on progress

Sent today at 12.55

Hi Graham
Thanks for that
There is a lot of a support for this both in Wick and as far away in Australia as a visit to Ship Nostalgia website and even Caithness.Org proves It would be brilliant if something could be done especially at low cost I must repeat this doesnt have to be a grand thing just tasteful and respectful Portknockie has a stone about 2 ft square if that ,the tablets in New Bedford are about the size of a small grave stone and I think they are very effective I will keep the other guys updated
Thanks again

Graeme Smith - Member wrote:

> I am taking this suggestion up with the officials responsible for
> guiding the Lower Pulteney regeneration. The Town Heritage funding has
> stopped and we now have Conservation Area Regeneration money for Lower
> Pulteney. This latest money is to encourage new business to come in to
> the area whilst maintaining its special character. We will see if we can
> make a memorial project fit into this!
> Graeme
>

> Sent: 27 November 2009 12:18
> To: Graeme Smith - Member
> Subject: Re: Form from website: Fishermans memorial
>
> Hi Graeme
> Thanks for thee reply
> I had kinda of expected the reply re Highland Council but there may be a
>
> way where you can help in a official capacity .Here is a suggestion
> At the moment there are a lot of renovations going on in Lower Pulteney
>
> and as you may know there are a lot of small plaques inscriptions being
> placed in the buildings Would it not be possible to use one of those as
> a small memorial to the fishermen who lost their lives ???
> Thanks for the offer of a donation

> Graeme Smith - Member wrote:

>>
>> A sound idea. I would happily donate to a public subscription to pay
>> for erecting such a memorial. I would be happy to help in the
>> organisation of such an effort as an individual but I doubt if the
>> Highland Council would be able to do too much at the moment!
>>
>> Graeme
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> *Sent:* 22 November 2009 11:12
>> *To:* Graeme Smith - Member
>> *Subject:* Form from website: Fishermans memorial
>>
>>
>>
>> Original post
>> Dear Councillor Smith It is long been a source of wonder to many Wick
>> people both resident and ex-pat why there is no memorial to the
>> fishermen who lost their lives engaged in the industry that made Wick
>> famous.It is one of the few fishing ports where a memorial of some
>> description is not present From ports such as Grimsby to havens like
>> Portskerra there is some recognition either by monument or plaque.
>> This does not have to be a grand affair as one of the most effective I>
>> have seen is the series of simple white tablets in the chapel in New
>> Bedford made famous by Melvilles novel Moby Dick I wonder if you could>
>> consider this suggestion and let me know the outcome

Saveman
30-Nov-09, 14:35
As this was the first article that I've had published it is gratifying to see that I'm not on my own in the opinion that these people shouldn't be forgotten.

Even Chance
30-Nov-09, 15:53
Im all for a memorial. Wicks Fishing past should never be forgotten.
The harbour has just had a new lease of life, but its fishing past is ingrained in every stone that it is composed of.
I have seen the statue in Nairn recently, and have a nice photo of it somewhere. It is a herring gutter though, not a fisherman. It was the fishermen that braved the seas every night, risking it all in the hope that the "Silver Darlings" would rise into their nets.
My family were fishermen going back as far as I can tell. Thankfully, none were lost in their daily struggle though.

I hope it happens.

Torvaig
30-Nov-09, 16:05
Hi folks, have just spoken to John Sutherland of www.caithnessstoneindustries.com (http://www.caithnessstoneindustries.com) and he is willing to become a part of this project as regards the supply of a stone at a reduced price or maybe donate one if you catch him on a good day!

The harbour committee is meeting today but I don't know if any orger is involved in same to be able to raise the suggestion of this great idea.

If it comes to raising money for the memorial, I am more than willing to participate. This affects so many families locally that it is sure to be welcomed and supported. Good luck!

Moira
01-Dec-09, 01:31
It appears you all have a plan to take this forward. Well done all. Let us know how it goes.

Moira
01-Dec-09, 02:03
Will you be able to update us on this during the week Torvaig or are you working away from home?

Torvaig
01-Dec-09, 02:08
Will certainly endeavour to do so even if I am away. I don't think I was in time to have it put forward at the Harbour meeting but I'm sure that informal discussions will be taking place.

trinkie
01-Dec-09, 09:06
Power to your elbow Torvaig - keep us informed.

Trinkie

ciderally
01-Dec-09, 09:25
well done you lot..xxxx
I'm a fishermans daughter

Torvaig
01-Dec-09, 13:39
I have sent a tentative email to Malcolm Bremner of the Wick Harbour Committee regarding your ideas and will let you know the outcome.

I don't want to tread on the Council's toes but I fear the project may turn out too big and costly and the feeling I am getting here is that it is very much a personal task that the people of Wick and beyond want to be involved in and for it to be geared to today's economic climate.

People Power! :)

Moira
03-Dec-09, 00:22
I would absolutely agree with your penultimate paragraph, Torvaig.

In fact I would concur with everything you propose. Let's keep this a People Project.:)

Bruce_H
03-Dec-09, 18:47
I would strongly urge any effort to make provisions for people out of the UK to be able to contribute money to the fund. In the past for some efforts it has required me to get a bundle of pound notes in the US and fly them over.

While I love a good excuse to go to Caithness, it would be much better if we could do it via bank transfer or some other way (PayPal?).

Thanks, this should be a great project.

Bruce

Torvaig
03-Dec-09, 23:05
That is very kind of you Bruce and I do understand the need for everyone, no matter where they reside, to be able to contribute. It is indeed a world wide project, many thanks! :)

Aaldtimer
04-Dec-09, 16:17
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8394826.stm

Torvaig
07-Dec-09, 23:54
Hi folks,

I have heard today that the committee who are in charge of the Memorial Garden are being approached as regards the provision of a plaque as discussed here. Well done to whoever took the step!

There is also another plan being muted but that will be revealed when it has been discussed with the relevant committee.

All are dependant on the state of affairs with their funding but of course we know that there would be no problem raising the necessary sum as is evident from the posts on this thread of people wishing to contribute from far and wide. And of course, the good people of this county would rise to the occasion as per usual; their kindness is never ending.

Again, I will keep you informed as I hear of any progress for this project. We now have to await the outcome of the above and any other ideas for a memorial.

Peter M, I'm sure you will post an update on the council's possible participation which may unfold as they realise they have some extra pennies looking for a more than worthwhile project. ;)

Ach weel, on with the waiting game.....:)

peter macdonald
08-Dec-09, 00:26
Aye Ill report any update from Councillor Smith .......
PM

Torvaig
08-Dec-09, 12:32
The waiting game Peter... but I'm sure it will be worth it! :D

Saveman
08-Dec-09, 13:42
Just to let you know, the BBC are interested in a further article about this if the plaque is commissioned.

Loraine
08-Dec-09, 16:38
Just to let you know, the BBC are interested in a further article about this if the plaque is commissioned.

Excellent - keep 'em coming!! It's so sad to think of all those needless deaths. A plaque would be an appropriate reminder....:(

Amy-Winehouse
10-Dec-09, 07:58
Well done Peter, you`ve done them proud.

Is there any way that the plaque could be at the harbour itself? Near the fishmarket or beside the wharf? Thats where I would have it, where folk could actually see it on the quayside

Kirdon
10-Dec-09, 11:05
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/north_east/8394826.stm

There was a memorial to the George Robb incorporated into the service at the old Parish church (sorry can't remember the new name) last sunday. John Nugent, the minster, gave an excellent service and there was a couple of wreaths laid in the church then cast into the sea.

Well done John and averybody else involved in this as these events should not be forgotten.

Personally I would like to see a memorial at the harbour and nothing to do with the memorial gardens as these are two completely different subjects. Also the memorial garden, shamefully, seems to be turning into a headless chicken

Mosser
13-Dec-09, 17:55
Is all of this going public via local press etc to reach a far wider audience and better judge local interest or is it an org secret?

peter macdonald
13-Dec-09, 18:51
No secrecy on my part .I have received 3 PMs which I have not copied and pasted on here One was an "each way" encouragement from Torvaig one contained a personal email and phone number of the sender and the other I need to ask if its OK to put it on here . The other emails on this subject were displayed here
PM

Torvaig
14-Dec-09, 00:37
Mosser, would a letter to the local press and the P & J summarising the feelings here and in the public suffice to bring it to the public's attention?

As there have been several avenues approached regarding finance etc., I suppose we could announce something along the lines of ideas for the memorial and the raising of funds.

Personally speaking, I would prefer a stone at the actual harbour. A plaque on one of the refurbished buildings or the walls along the harbour with the beautiful gates made by Ian Sinclair would be easily found by locals and visitors alike....

As I said before, someone has approached the people who run the Memorial Garden scheme but maybe it would be advisable to have something separate for the seamen. The garden folks have worked hard to get their site underway; just a shame that the usual mindless empty heads have given their destructive contribution. :~(

Also, I would hope that Councillor Smith will come up with something from the "the big bag" which I would presume is not empty yet? I'm sure they always make allowances for "contingencies".

Thank you Peter for your support and I hope you hear back from Graeme Smith soon.

Torvaig
14-Dec-09, 01:41
I will delete all posters names as they are just there temporarily to enlist their permission to use their quotes (with some editing) and show how people feel about the lack of a memorial.

QUOTES FROM CAITHNESS.ORG
"It's funny but there can't be too many fishing ports around the North Sea coast who have done so little to commemorate the people who lost their lives in the industry. From larger places like New Bedford to small havens like Portskerra there is a stone, a plaque, or a sculpture to recognise their fishermen."

"The 1920s and early 30s were very tough times around the Moray Firth due to the markets for herring consisting mainly of defeated WW1 countries who were broke, and Russia to whom Westminster would not give any credit to. A look through the old John O' Groat Journals in the library shows that the Salvation Army in Wick and the Freemasons in the Barrogil Hall in Pulteney were providing soup kitchens to keep folk alive."

"I think Wick trades a bit on the biggest herring port in Europe thing so let them recognise the people who made it that way."

"There is a lot of renovation going on in Lower Pulteney. A lot of plaques have been installed in the buildings with sayings etc., so why not a simple memorial inlaid in one of the gables? Does not have to be big and grand, only tasteful and effective. There is a lot of support for this both in Wick and as far away in Australia as a visit to the Ship Nostalgia website and www.caithness.org (http://www.caithness.org) proves. It would be brilliant if something could be done, especially at low cost. I must repeat this doesn't have to be a grand thing; just tasteful and respectful." PETER MACDONALD

"How about a public appeal? You could raise a lot of money from the good people of Wick and even more during the next Harbourfest." CRAYOLA

"Wick has no memorial of any sort at the harbour to honour our lost fishermen. We have one of the best museums in Scotland which is heavily fishing related. This is part of Wick's history; a memorial to our lost fishermen is NOT too much to ask for; every other harbour worth speaking about has one so why haven't we?" AMY WINE-HOUSE

"Why oh why did they not make a monument for these brave souls?" ZAPPSTER

"Wick's fishing past should never be forgotten. The harbour has just had a new lease of life but its fishing past is ingrained in every stone that it is composed of. It was the fishermen that braved the seas every night, risking it all in the hope that the "Silver Darlings" would rise into their nets. My family were fishermen going back as far as I can tell." EVEN CHANCE

"I would strongly urge any effort to make provisions for people out of the UK to be able to contribute money to the fund." BRUCE H

"Just to let you know, the BBC are interested in an article about this if the plaque is commissioned." SAVEMAN

"All committees are dependent on the state of affairs with their funding but of course we know that there would be no problem raising the necessary sum as is evident from the posts on www.caithness.org (http://www.caithness.org) from people wishing to contribute from far and wide. TORVAIG

Even Chance
14-Dec-09, 13:24
Feel free to quote me no problem in a letter to e Groat. I'd be delighted.

Mosser
14-Dec-09, 16:48
Mosser, would a letter to the local press and the P & J summarising the feelings here and in the public suffice to bring it to the public's attention?

As there have been several avenues approached regarding finance etc., I suppose we could announce something along the lines of ideas for the memorial and the raising of funds.

Personally speaking, I would prefer a stone at the actual harbour. A plaque on one of the refurbished buildings or the walls along the harbour with the beautiful gates made by Ian Sinclair would be easily found by locals and visitors alike....

As I said before, someone has approached the people who run the Memorial Garden scheme but maybe it would be advisable to have something separate for the seamen. The garden folks have worked hard to get their site underway; just a shame that the usual mindless empty heads have given their destructive contribution. :~(

Also, I would hope that Councillor Smith will come up with something from the "the big bag" which I would presume is not empty yet? I'm sure they always make allowances for "contingencies".

Thank you Peter for your support and I hope you hear back from Graeme Smith soon.

Good job Torvaig, go for it

Torvaig
14-Dec-09, 18:05
Feel free to quote me no problem in a letter to e Groat. I'd be delighted.

Many thanks EC; much appreciated.

Torvaig
14-Dec-09, 18:08
Good job Torvaig, go for it

Thank you too Mosser; your support is invaluable.

peter macdonald
14-Dec-09, 19:45
Torvaig
Please use my quote as you want
PM

Torvaig
14-Dec-09, 23:15
Torvaig
Please use my quote as you want
PM

Many thanks Peter; very kind of you.
Looking forward to hearing from the others before I send the letter.....

trinkie
15-Dec-09, 09:02
Well done, and Thank You for all you are putting into this good cause.
You have my support.

Trinkie

Torvaig
15-Dec-09, 11:32
Well done, and Thank You for all you are putting into this good cause.
You have my support.

Trinkie

Many thanks Trinkie; I appreciate that. :)

Torvaig
15-Dec-09, 11:38
I think we should have a memorial in Wick to our lost fishermen , Ive said it twice before on here & Ill say it again.

We have one the best museums in Scotland which is heavily fishing related-and next door to it is a half built memorial garden to war victims of the town, this is part of Wick`s history. A memorial to our lost fishermen is NOT too much to ask for, Every other harbour worth speaking about has one so why havnt we?

As for Watten, Im all for that if we get ours here in Wick

Well said; may I use part of your post as a quote in my letter to the John O'Groat Journal please? Cheers. :)

Torvaig
15-Dec-09, 11:53
I was aware of this but did not know the full story..why oh why did they not make a monument for these brave souls?

Please may I use part of your quote for the letter to the Groat as drafted in the post above? Thank you....:)

Torvaig
15-Dec-09, 11:55
That's a good point about funding Rheg. But it doesn't have to be council funded or even council led. How about a public appeal? You could raise a lot of money from the good people of Wick and even more during the next Harbourfest.

Crayola, may I use part of your quote in the letter to the Groat? Would be much appreciated. :)

Torvaig
15-Dec-09, 11:57
I would strongly urge any effort to make provisions for people out of the UK to be able to contribute money to the fund. In the past for some efforts it has required me to get a bundle of pound notes in the US and fly them over.

While I love a good excuse to go to Caithness, it would be much better if we could do it via bank transfer or some other way (PayPal?).

Thanks, this should be a great project.

Bruce

Bruce, may I use part of your post as well, please? :)

Moira
16-Dec-09, 23:39
How goes it Torvaig with the people project?

Good on you for taking this forward.

Has the Harbourmaster replied to you yet?

If you are stuck, give me a shout. I have a few up-to-date contacts who may help. :)

Torvaig
17-Dec-09, 09:35
Thanks for your support Moira; I may take you up on that. I have spoken to people in authority at the Harbour and we have their full backing to put something, be it a plaque or a bench, at the harbour.

Still waiting for permission from some of our orgers to quote their posts but if that doesn't happen, I will presume their permission as they have not objected. Maybe I am being pedantic as most on here are all for a memorial...

The latest is that a local councillor is taking our plans to the council and I will keep you all updated as I hear further. We're getting there...:)

Amy-Winehouse
17-Dec-09, 16:12
Well said; may I use part of your post as a quote in my letter to the John O'Groat Journal please? Cheers. :)

Yes Torvaig, you can use my quote. That is no problem crack on.

As for speaking to the Harbour master, Id like to point out that we have benches at the harbour during the summer months for individuals who were well kent faces at Wick Harbour. I think a plaque is called for in this case in a prominent part of the harbour

Torvaig
17-Dec-09, 23:23
Yes Torvaig, you can use my quote. That is no problem crack on.

As for speaking to the Harbour master, Id like to point out that we have benches at the harbour during the summer months for individuals who were well kent faces at Wick Harbour. I think a plaque is called for in this case in a prominent part of the harbour

Thanks for that AW; and yes, I tend to agree with you that a plaque would be more fitting for such a memorial.:)

Torvaig
21-Dec-09, 10:53
Sir,
The Wick/Caithness community is very proud of its seafaring history and traditions. Recently there has been a substantial amount of posts on the local website www.caithness.org (http://www.caithness.org/forums) calling for a suitable memorial to be installed in the harbour area for the brave seafarers lost in the waters around Caithness.
Contact has been made with various local bodies and hopefully this long overdue memorial will come to fruition in 2010.
The following article is from the BBC website - with permission from the author Ed Campbell who retains full copyright.

-------------------------------------------------------

"As talks begin in Brussels on European Union rules on fishing, far north-based historical researcher Ed Campbell looks back at a boom time for Scottish fishing that brought wealth but also disaster.
The herring industry of yesteryear has been the subject for many an exposition, and rightly so. It was a boom time of unparalleled employment, wealth and fame for the far north. Environmentalists may point out the obvious effect that the industry had on the stocks of herring, affectionately known by fishing communities as "silver darlings".

Sad stories
However when we try to imagine the 18th, 19th and arguably the early part of the 20th Century without the income it afforded the north, it is difficult to see how emigration and poverty would not have emptied the coastal regions to an extent that would have devastated the culture irreparably.
It was during this period that the Caithness county town of Wick was referred to as "the chief seat of the herring fishing industry in Scotland" as well as the higher sounding "largest herring port in Europe".
There is little doubt that Wick deserved these accolades.
So much herring was landed there that it was said that your nose would pick up Wick many miles before reaching the Royal Burgh.
This had much to do with the highly efficient processing that took place immediately upon the boats - known as drifters - delivering the fish to the harbour.
Fisher-lassies would gut the herring then packers salted and barrelled them quickly.
Aside from the decline of fish stocks and eventual death of the industry there are countless other sad stories to be told of this truly remarkable time in Scottish history. 

One ordinary day during a time of plenty in August 1848 the fleet prepared itself for another productive sortie into the North Sea.
Eight hundred drifters set sail from Wick on 19 August 1848.

More than 30 years later veteran fisherman John Cruickshank, of Pulteneytown, Wick, reported his memories of 19 August.
Eight hundred drifters set sail from Wick harbour. It was just another day's fishing in an industry that lasted almost 200 years.
The prospects were for good fishing and so the fleet set out windward mostly to the south of Wick Bay.
It was the fall of the Lammas Stream. This was the high tide around Lammas Day on 1 August.
As night began to fall the wind abated and turned westward. Many of the boats now were tempted to shoot their nets.
The sun set and ominous grey clouds grew thick and dark over the north-east coast.
Some of the boats recognised the climate indicators and hauled in their nets and made for shore.
Those who had heeded the early signs of the coming storm reached the harbour before darkness set in and while the tide had not yet ebbed from the harbour basin.
By midnight the wind veered again and worked itself up into a gale. This vast column of air moving swiftly over the sea, the dense darkness, the ebbing tide and an unlighted, waterless harbour combined to create a terrible destructive situation.
The fleet had all but returned north to the mouth of Wick bay and many tried to run the harbour in the dark and were driven behind the old north quay to perish on the rocks.

Breadwinners perished
Dawn revealed an angry North Sea and a town of cold spectators, praying and watching from the shore.
In the bay the remainder of the fleet were still waiting for the incoming tide to reach the safety of home and family.
One by one they ran the briny gauntlet, some with more sail than others.
Collisions were unavoidable and they fouled on each other and were driven into the boulders behind the quay. Ladders and lifebuoys were yet years away and the population of Wick and Pulteneytown watched in horror as their breadwinners perished at their feet.
Some foundered at sea before reaching land.
One swamped off the small cove at Sarclet and four swamped to the south of Wick Bay, another perished off Helman Head and another in the fierce tideway of Noss Head.
Some ran into creeks along the coast with more or less success but many lives were lost right there in Wick Bay where they expected to reach safety.
Thirty-seven men from Wick alone drowned leaving 17 widows and 63 children. Eighteen boats were lost on the rocks.
However, the total loss of life in the whole of the far north that day was 94 lives and 30 boats. 

Disaster's anniversary
A public inquiry revealed the weaknesses of the fleet.
Each boat only had 30ft of keel and was open apart from a little den at the fore peak.
One of the frailest craft in the fleet rode at her nets until the gale had subsided and limped into the harbour at high tide the next day, demonstrating that survival chances would have increased had the fleet attempted to weather the storm than make a frantic bid to reach Wick.
For many years after the disaster only the most daring fisherman would venture to sea on the disaster's anniversary.
Wick's "Black Saturday" stayed deeply engraved on the memories of the fishing community of the east of Caithness for a long time.
Fathers and grandfathers told their sons of the morning that brought grief to so many.
No monument marks the tragedy and the only marker is a painting by Robert Anderson depicting the disaster that hangs in the council chambers in Wick."

QUOTES FROM CAITHNESS.ORG

"It's funny but there can't be too many fishing ports around the North Sea coast who have done so little to commemorate the people who lost their lives in the industry. From larger places like New Bedford to small havens like Portskerra there is a stone, a plaque, or a sculpture to recognise their fishermen."

"I think Wick trades a bit on the biggest herring port in Europe thing so let them recognise the people who made it that way."

"There is a lot of renovation going on in Lower Pulteney. A lot of plaques have been installed in the buildings with sayings etc., so why not a simple memorial inlaid in one of the gables? Does not have to be big and grand, only tasteful and effective. There is a lot of support for this both in Wick and as far away in Australia as a visit to the Ship Nostalgia website and www.caithness.org (http://www.caithness.org/) proves. It would be brilliant if something could be done, especially at low cost. I must repeat this doesn't have to be a grand thing; just tasteful and respectful."
"Wick's fishing past should never be forgotten. The harbour has just had a new lease of life but its fishing past is ingrained in every stone that it is composed of. It was the fishermen that braved the seas every night, risking it all in the hope that the "Silver Darlings" would rise into their nets. My family were fishermen going back as far as I can tell."
"Wick has no memorial of any sort at the harbour to honour our lost fishermen. We have one of the best museums in Scotland which is heavily fishing related. This is part of Wick's history; a memorial to our lost fishermen is NOT too much to ask for; every other harbour worth speaking about has one so why haven't we?"

"Why oh why did they not make a monument for these brave souls?"

Torvaig
24-Dec-09, 17:39
I have today sent an e-mail containing some of your suggestions to Moray Firth Partnership (who won't be back in the office until Tuesday 5th Jan 2010) and asking for advice on how we can apply in time for a grant from them. I'm sure it will take a constituted body to make the application and the deadline is 18th Jan 2010.
Thank you to the orger who brought this organisation to my attention.
I'm off to read the criteria now.....:eek:

P.S. If there are any official organisations out there reading this and are willing to take on the mantle for our quest to provide a "Seafarers' Memorial" at the harbour in Wick, please, please let us/me know as I don't think we will be able to form a body with a constitution etc., to apply within the necessary time frame for a grant from Moray Firth Partnership (MFP)

Torvaig
25-Dec-09, 02:06
I have today sent an e-mail containing some of your suggestions to Moray Firth Partnership (who won't be back in the office until Tuesday 5th Jan 2010) and asking for advice on how we can apply in time for a grant from them. I'm sure it will take a constituted body to make the application and the deadline is 18th Jan 2010.
Thank you to the orger who brought this organisation to my attention.
I'm off to read the criteria now.....:eek:

P.S. If there are any official organisations out there reading this and are willing to take on the mantle for our quest to provide a "Seafarers' Memorial" at the harbour in Wick, please, please let us/me know as I don't think we will be able to form a body with a constitution etc., to apply within the necessary time frame for a grant from Moray Firth Partnership (MFP)

PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE - AND YES, I KNOW I AM SHOUTING - I AM DESPERATE......:( Humph, I suppose it is Christmas, mutter, mutter, mutter.....;)

crayola
26-Dec-09, 01:12
Crayola, may I use part of your quote in the letter to the Groat? Would be much appreciated. :)
Of course you can but it's probably too late now.

I tried to answer from my hotel but the WiFi was very unreliable and it kept hanging before I even logged in. Sorry.

Torvaig
26-Dec-09, 10:53
Of course you can but it's probably too late now.

I tried to answer from my hotel but the WiFi was very unreliable and it kept hanging before I even logged in. Sorry.

Thank you Crayola; I presumed permission for those who couldn't/didn't reply! ;)

Not even sure if my letter will be printed as was rather long.... and I don't expect much to happen now until well after the New Year when the county gets back to normal.

Torvaig
28-Dec-09, 17:41
I had a phonecall from a JO'G journalist today; looks like we will get some publicity for our seafarers' memorial quest quite soon.

Many thanks to those who have sent messages of offers of help and encouragement; I hope this will lead to an official body taking over the arrangements and financing for the project.

Torvaig
05-Jan-10, 22:59
Many thanks to Jean Gunn of the John O'Groat Journal for her article last week highlighting the quest for a memorial for the souls lost at sea in our area. I also received an e-mail from the Moray Partnership and it follows along with my reply to them.

Subject: Moray Firth Partnership Community Grant Scheme - Fishermen'sMemorial
Dear Ann
Many thanks for your email. On the positive side, this projidea does tick many of the necessary boxes to receive a grant from the Moray Firth Partnership's scheme. It clearly has strong community support, celebrates ( or rather commemorates) local cultural heritage, is based on and has strong links to the sea of the Moray Firth, and so on.
There is, however, one essential box that you would need think how to go about getting ticked. As Scottish Natural Heritage are the sole funder of the 2010 scheme, it as an essential requirement that projects have some kind of natural heritage theme. So, this would mean that a stone or sculptured memorial, on its own, would not qualify. However, to give an example, a small memorial garden of some sort might well be successful. 2010 is the International Year of Biodiversity and so Biodiversity is a priority theme for this year's scheme. If a main feature of the memorial was a small 'Biodiversity Garden', designed to benefit local biodiversity, I think the project would have a very good chance. I would suggest maybe contacting your local SNH office in Golspie (01408 634063) - someone there should be able to advise about certain plants that are good for biodiversity, for example plants that are good for bees, which are in rapid decline.
Another good contact for advice in this area, who I know would be happy to advise, is Shona Turnbull, Coastal Planning Officer with the Highland Council (01463 70 2270). Shona used to work on biodiversity with SNH and has a lot of knowledge in this area.
As you mention, a formally constituted group would need to make the application - this could be the local Community Council perhaps, or the Heritage Centre??
I do hope this is of some help but please do get in touch if you require any further info or help. I would be happy to discuss any other natural heritage ideas you might think of. I hope to receive an application form in due course.
Best whishes
Dominic Shann, Partnership, Administrator Moray Firth Partnership, Great Glen House Leachkin Road, INVERNESS. IV3 8NW, Tel: 01463 725027 Fax: 01463 225207
e-mail: admin@morayfirth-partnership.org (admin@morayfirth-partnership.org)www.morayfirth-partnership.org (http://www.morayfirth-partnership.org/)
Company No. 196042 (limited by guarantee), The Moray Firth Partnership is a charity registered in Scotland, No: SC 028964, Registered Office: as above
5/01/2010
Dear Dominic,
Many thanks for your reply. My first instinct is disappointment at finding that a stone or sculptured memorial on its own would not qualify although I do understand the need to fulfil certain criteria. My hopes were that by using our natural caithness stone that would suffice and although I embrace the idea of a bio-diversity garden incorporated with the stone, it would be prey for vandals as happened with the Wick memorial garden. However, without talking to others interested, I won't dismiss the idea just yet.
An approach was made by someone to the memorial garden people in Wick and they did say it would be possible to dedicate a part of it for our purpose but the feeling amongst other locals I spoke to was that a stone or sculpture was the ideal memorial for the seafarers and would be better placed at the harbour to make the connection.
I will certainly take your advice about approaching the Community Council and the Heritage Centre and hopefully one of them will take over this project. I shall also give Shona Turnbull a ring as you suggest.
Again, thank you for your help and I will get back to you if it is felt we will be able to fulfil the requirements you have outlined.

trinkie
07-Jan-10, 10:22
Thank you Torvaig for all this hard work - you are doing well here, and we appreciate it .

Trinkie

Torvaig
07-Jan-10, 12:33
Thank you Torvaig for all this hard work - you are doing well here, and we appreciate it .

Trinkie

Bless you Trinkie :).

Here is a part of an e-mail I have sent to Katrina MacNab who is being very helpful regarding this project and who I hope will now take this forward on an official basis. I will keep you all up to date as I hear.

"At the moment I don't feel that I can personally take this any further forward beyond replying to those who get in touch with me; that is why I am keeping the orgers up to date.

As you know, either a new committee will have to be formed (something I am not keen on; plenty exist already) or some official body will need to take the project over as soon as possible. There are so many ideas going around as you can see from this forum that they would be better discussed at a meeting to bring things together.

My feeling is that the seafarer's memorial should be a separate project as it is so important to many locals. Maybe the councillors could take over and I know that if an account was set up, the funds would certainly be forthcoming from those affected and others who feel an affinity to them.

Many thanks for your interest Katrina"

And my thanks to those orgers who have been giving me immense support, imformation, contacts etc., it has been much appreciated. With the publicity in the 'Groat as well as the org postings I feel our memorial is much nearer to fruition.

Please continue to give your support to Katrina and the others involved; it keeps the whole thing in the public eye. :)

Moira
16-Oct-10, 23:47
This thread is now active, courtesy of Peter Macdonald. Thanks Peter

Moira
16-Oct-10, 23:57
This is Peter's post from another thread:-

http://www.harry-tates.org.uk/ (http://www.harry-tates.org.uk/)
These guys had probably one of the worst jobs in WW2 ..A lot of Caithness men were involved with this operation, However other than a monument in Lowestoft there has been little recognition of their efforts
PM