PDA

View Full Version : kiteing shed, wick riverside

fender
19-Nov-09, 22:47
Can anyone out there in org. land supply a potted history of the kiteing shed, please.

Wick66
20-Nov-09, 11:46
I think that I am correct in saying that it is not called the kiteing shed but, and excuse the spelling here, the quoiting shed after the game where horse shoes were thrown at a post.

pat
20-Nov-09, 12:10
I remember the men sitting playing quoits and huge draughts/chess there when I was young, it was a very pleasant meeting place for all the men in town - they used to sit on the seating area surrounding the shed, smoking their pipes and catching up on events happening - keeping an eye on the boats on the river too.
The quoits, draughts etc were kept in the shed overnight.

The huge draughts/chess board was on the river side of the quoiting shed.

Why did it always seem to be sunny long ago?

Even Chance
20-Nov-09, 12:11
You are quite correct Wick66.
I remember being put right by my Granny over the very same error many years ago.

veritas
20-Nov-09, 15:57
It is the Quoiting Shed

The origional Green Wooden Shed was knocked down in 1980 by the Council as it had become unsafe. Folowing a campaign led by Jim Christie (Piper) the Council built the current shed using Job Creation labour with the design being carried out by Jack Sutherland Architect who was living in Keiss at the time.

It was intended for use as a sports pavilion when the riverside was to be used for that sort of thing but in reality was never really used.

fender
20-Nov-09, 18:27
Thank you Even Change and Veritas.

Was it rebuilt due to public pressure? If so why and where are the public now?

I've noticed that the Rotary Club have a stone built into one of the walls with a date of 1981 along with their logo..

Dare I mention the word 'folly' like the Fyrish Stones at Evanton - it is there but serves no purpose.

Would it not make an ideal youth shelter?

Remove two walls, pillar to retain the roof and Roberts your uncle!!

Any thoughts?