PDA

View Full Version : pampers nappies harmful?

annemarie482
19-Nov-09, 22:01
i've used pampers nappies on my toddler son since he was born but recently he developed a very nasty rash,
i took him to the doctor to be told he had a serious allergic reaction to a new chemical in the elastic around the legs. resulting in quite severe burns on his bottom.
apparently he'd seen a few babies with the same thing recently.
i take it this must be a new thing, has anyone else had problems?
i'm planning to write to them as this was 2 months ago and he is still scarred.

Vistravi
19-Nov-09, 22:15
Manufactures are always changing what they use in their products be it design or chemicals. At work we use the back to nature ones and they have been altered twice in the last 6 months. They were changed and we were finding they just weren't staying on and one child got changed about 7 times in one day due to said nappy falling off! so we complained and other people complained and they got changed again. They're still not as good as before they altered them but better than when they first altered them!

Complain about them and tell the company who makes them exactly what their nappies did to your son. Tell them in no uncertain terms that unless they change them you will not be buying there nappies and will be spreading the word about what they did to your son. They will properly offer you some sort of compensation for the damage done to your son's skin.

Bobinovich
19-Nov-09, 22:32
Not wanting to take this off topic but I've found over the years that many supposedly 'improved' products are not as good as the original - whether it be in flavour, functionality, etc.. Similarly many perfectly good (and regularly purchased) products have been taken off the market by the manufacturer for one reason or another. Makes me mad I tells ya [evil]

changilass
19-Nov-09, 22:34
Ooooooo errrr Bob, you gonna tear a tissue now :lol:

Rheghead
19-Nov-09, 22:36
Not wanting to take this off topic but I've found over the years that many supposedly 'improved' products are not as good as the original - whether it be in flavour, functionality, etc.. Similarly many perfectly good (and regularly purchased) products have been taken off the market by the manufacturer for one reason or another. Makes me mad I tells ya [evil]

you ol' luddite:lol:

Vistravi
19-Nov-09, 22:53

Aye its really annoying! [evil]

Cazaa
19-Nov-09, 23:20
Pampers nappies harmful?

There was research done recently which showed how much heat was generated/retained inside various 'brand' nappies. This can lead to problems, particularly in boys - as the testicles would be overheating inside them.

Pampers came out worst in the research.

Perhaps Bobinovich has a point and we should move back to old fashioned nappies. Tu es d'accord, n'est-ce pas?

sjr014
19-Nov-09, 23:53
I used the new baby pampers nappies when my wee girl was a newborn but moved onto those green ones think its active fit and they did not agree with her at all, tried various others and have been using Tesco active fit ones for well over a year and bonus they are loads cheaper!

telfordstar
19-Nov-09, 23:57
i've used pampers nappies on my toddler son since he was born but recently he developed a very nasty rash,
i took him to the doctor to be told he had a serious allergic reaction to a new chemical in the elastic around the legs. resulting in quite severe burns on his bottom.
apparently he'd seen a few babies with the same thing recently.
i take it this must be a new thing, has anyone else had problems?
i'm planning to write to them as this was 2 months ago and he is still scarred.

My son has recently been using a mixture of the pampers pull up pants and active fit and he has been a bit itchy at base of his back but there hasnt been a rash as yet but i have been using huggies to see if that makes a difference.

Phill
20-Nov-09, 00:13
We started with the good ole' terry nappies. Quality!

Proper green technology. No rashes either.
Double bonus up here with the wind is put 'em out on the line to dry and you can then wire brush the pooh off in no time.

_Ju_
20-Nov-09, 06:52
Phill, there are no green nappies. Even "good ole terry nappies", which require huge ammounts of water to be cleaned. There is no way to clad a babies bottom and maintain ecological principles.......
As for rashes, good ole terry nappies do not prevent them. I was a terry nappie baby and suffered horrendous rashes. The only thing that prevented them was when, as a toddler, my mother would leave me with no nappy to allow the skin to breath and be dry.
When my son was little, I would use which ever nappies were on special offer. Some were better than others. What I did find was that using certain baby wipes would make his skin break out. Just washing his bottom with a damp cloth and drying it improved his rashes.

Rheghead
20-Nov-09, 08:20
Even "good ole terry nappies", which require huge ammounts of water to be cleaned. There is no way to clad a babies bottom and maintain ecological principles........

No more than anything that is put in the wash.

_Ju_
20-Nov-09, 08:38
No more than anything that is put in the wash.
First you rinse them out and possibly soak them in the tub (unless you want to be buying a new washing machine very soon). At 12 nappies a day for a newborn, that will be one load a day. Lots and lots of water. (And I do know what disposables do to land fill as well). Babies just are not "ecological creatures" to have. ;)

SunnyChick
20-Nov-09, 10:14
Try tescos active fit nappies - purple pack. They are excellent x

annemarie482
20-Nov-09, 11:06
i use tesco nappies now for my son and my 1 year old daughter, and i must admit they are far better. better coverage so less leaks, cheaper and much kinder on their skin. funnily enough, the doctor also recommended them as they have less chemicals in them!
she did say these particular nappies are causing problems though.

simpsoney
20-Nov-09, 12:23
I have always used either tesco's or Lidl's nappies and baby wipes with both my children and i have never had any problems with them. I did try using huggies and pampers but i didnt like them. They are much more expensive too.

ShelleyCowie
20-Nov-09, 13:18
I use the pampers active fit nappies. Tried huggies before but found it was not soaking up the pee at all. I put the Pampers Simply Dry nappies on athrun for night time, then active fit through the day.

Dont get leaks or anything. So i cant complain about them really. Never tried the tesco nappies. Dont mind paying for Pampers.

Red
20-Nov-09, 13:32
Hi I felt the need to respond to this theme on Real Nappies.

I am a volunteer for the Highland Real Nappy Project and we try to promote the use of real nappies showing how easy they are to use and that they are not like the "good ole terry nappies" of yesteryear. Every Disposable nappy that has ever been used is still in existence even the so called eco-friendly ones.

We have an event called a Nappuccino coming up shortly which is basically an excuse to get together, have a coffee or tea and discuss real nappies - trying to show how good they are and getting rid of the bad press surrounding them.

This event will be held in The Pentland Hotel in Thurso on Friday 11th December between 10.30 and 12 noon.

Please come along and join us and we'd be happy to show you all about reusable nappies and how they are so much better for your child, your budget and the environment.

If you'd like any further information please do not hesitate to contact the Highland Real Nappy Project on :

0845 201 2609

info@hrnp.org.uk (info@hrnp.org.uk) www.hrnp.org.uk (http://www.hrnp.org.uk/)

Rheghead
21-Nov-09, 15:49
Babies just are not "ecological creatures" to have. ;)

I think baby and toddlerhood can be the most ecological stage in a human's life.

Yes, nappies get a bad press but on the otherside of the coin, babies aren't really into fashion, consumer goods, foreign travel, having the heating on full blast, tv, computers, big meals, cars, cds and DVDs, etc etc.

The effect of leading a simpler life on parents to match that of their baby can be a rewarding experience too.

S&LHEN
21-Nov-09, 16:23
We use tescos own brand on our son as we had same problem with huggies and pampers, I have to say that I was a bit worried when I used them first as I wondered with them being cheaper would they be as good etc etc I have to say they are excellent and I would highly recommend them only problem is we only get the size 6s in Inverness tesco which is really annoying Wick used to do them but then they suddenly stopped getting them:confused I wish they would do them again as it would save us having to bulk buy them :D

Skerries
21-Nov-09, 18:44
We use a mixture of washable nappies and disposables. There is a myth that with washable nappies you are using much more water and electricity but it's a load of nonsense.

The washing machine is on for the baby's clothes anyway and if you use degradable liners and dispose of the poo, there's no problem putting nappies in the wash with baby clothes.

Modern washable nappies don't need to be soaked either, nor do you have to have a degree in origami to use them! They are just as quick to put on as disposables and are no problem to dry on a clothes horse or the washing line so you don't need a tumble dryer :)

Washable nappies are no bother at all and the overall cost is very low compared to what we have spent on the disposables bought for night-time :eek:

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
22-Nov-09, 11:06
Pampers nappies harmful?

There was research done recently which showed how much heat was generated/retained inside various 'brand' nappies. This can lead to problems, particularly in boys - as the testicles would be overheating inside them.

Pampers came out worst in the research.

Perhaps Bobinovich has a point and we should move back to old fashioned nappies. Tu es d'accord, n'est-ce pas?

Have you any reference to this research ??? (not picking - I would be interested to read it)

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
22-Nov-09, 11:22
We use a mixture of washable nappies and disposables.

Skerries do you have a particular brand of washables that you'd recommend??

Red
24-Nov-09, 14:00
Keep on Truckin - if you'd like to pop along to the Nappuccino mentioned in previous post (or contact the HRNP) we can do a demonstration of the most popular reusable nappies available at the moment, we can let you have a trial with some of them and we also do a starter bucket which is approx £70 worth of resuable nappies for the bargain price of £10 (or less depending upon circumstances). That will allow you to assess how easy resuable nappies are for you and your family.

Alternatively send me a PM and I'll arrange to do a demo on the nappies for you.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
24-Nov-09, 14:09
Hey Red - I was the one contacting you through Dounreay about organising an event as I couldn't make the original nappacino - do you have a new date for another event?? thanks....

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
24-Nov-09, 14:10
Perfect - thanks got the date in my diary now!!

Red
24-Nov-09, 21:30
Excellent - I'll see you there. I've been trialling some new nappies and have some superb feedback to share.

Cazaa
24-Nov-09, 22:20
Have you any reference to this research ??? (not picking - I would be interested to read it)

There is some reference here:

http://www.nickisdiapers.com/pages/HealthConcerns.php
(with other scary stories about nappies too)

and here:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2000-09/BSJ-Dnme-2409100.php

On a related topic (and on another thread at present) - a breastfeeding/climate change double-bill here:

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/336/7659/1454-a

Skerries
25-Nov-09, 19:33
Skerries do you have a particular brand of washables that you'd recommend??

We use Wonderoos one size and they have fitted from just before three months to 18 months. There is still plenty of growing room in them and they have been washed hundreds of times without wearing out at all.

I wanted to use 'pocket nappies' and they have been great but my friend has found prefolds with a wrap just as good. :)