PDA

View Full Version : Balmore Animal Centre

Rheghead
15-Nov-09, 19:40
I just found out that Balmore don't take dogs anymore as the council didn't renew their contract due to Balmore charging too much. I took the dog down to Thurso police station instead. Probably not the best solution to having found an animal roaming.

It's a shame Balmore isn't used for this anymore which sort of defeats the issue. Staff at Balmore apologetic and wanted to help more but couldn't because of their powers that be.

:~(

Metalattakk
15-Nov-09, 20:26
It isn't Balmore that charge too much, it's the SSPCA who charge Highland Council.

The SSPCA increased their charges right across the country but it's only Highland Council who have refused to pay, which leaves Balmore out on a limb.

achingale
15-Nov-09, 20:27
That is a real shame because the staff all do such fantastic work there.

Fluff
15-Nov-09, 22:05
so what now, if someone finds a dog you are just supposed to leave it? take it to the police, what do they do with it? insane

BINBOB
15-Nov-09, 22:15
It isn't Balmore that charge too much, it's the SSPCA who charge Highland Council.

The SSPCA increased their charges right across the country but it's only Highland Council who have refused to pay, which leaves Balmore out on a limb.

As SSPCA is a national[in Scotland] organisation,then balmore staff are regulated by their rules.......and as the cost has risen DRAMATICALLY....U can hardly blame the council for not paying.

It is now left to the dog warden to find foster carers /temp. places for the unfortunate lost/stray dogs.
I do think the council will have to eventually sort something out.

Just because some councils are paying the extortionate cost to SSPCA,does not mean our council has to follow.:roll:

dancingtaz13
15-Nov-09, 23:14
If someone finds a dog then contact the dog warden. If its handed into the police station then i think they contact dog warden to uplift it.

highlander
15-Nov-09, 23:23
I will be phoning the police station tomorrow as we are willing to give the dog a home, rather than it get put down

Dog-eared
15-Nov-09, 23:31
Good on ye, highlander. :)

Stavro
15-Nov-09, 23:38
I will be phoning the police station tomorrow as we are willing to give the dog a home, rather than it get put down
That's marvellous, one very fortunate dog. :)

dancingtaz13
15-Nov-09, 23:45
The dogs dont get put down. They will be kept in holding kennels/foster homes for 7 days in order for owners to claim the dog back then after the 7 days a new home can be found.

highlander
15-Nov-09, 23:55
Thank you for that information, i must have been watching too many programmes on the tv, but will still phone police in the morning, either way this poor dog needs help

BINBOB
15-Nov-09, 23:55
The dogs dont get put down. They will be kept in holding kennels/foster homes for 7 days in order for owners to claim the dog back then after the 7 days a new home can be found.

Thank u for ur explanation.;)

BINBOB
15-Nov-09, 23:56

Super...bless u.

teenybash
16-Nov-09, 00:54
Thank you for that information, i must have been watching too many programmes on the tv, but will still phone police in the morning, either way this poor dog needs help

You have a good heart..................wish there were more like you.

Metalattakk
16-Nov-09, 03:02
As SSPCA is a national[in Scotland] organisation,then balmore staff are regulated by their rules.......and as the cost has risen DRAMATICALLY....U can hardly blame the council for not paying.

Yes, you can blame the Highland Council for not stumping up, as there is no other facility in Caithness for re-homing/caring for these animals. Basically, the Highland Council have washed their hands of the problem.

It is now left to the dog warden to find foster carers /temp. places for the unfortunate lost/stray dogs.
I do think the council will have to eventually sort something out.

How are the Council going to 'sort something out'?

Just because some councils are paying the extortionate cost to SSPCA,does not mean our council has to follow.:roll:

It's not 'some councils', it's all Councils in Scotland apart from Highland. If Highland Council had a back-up plan for Caithness, then all would be fine and well. But, they don't. They are relying on the Dog Warden and the Police to look after these animals, and by all sensible opinion, that is not what they are there to do.

mop top
16-Nov-09, 08:56
The Highland council have had 24 strays since the 1st of September 2009, happily 19 of these have been reunited with their owners and the 6 that were not claimed have all found lovely new loving homes.

thebigman
16-Nov-09, 09:27
The Council have used various kennels in the past for stray dogs and no doubt a new contract will be negotiated with alternative accomodation.

Rheghead
16-Nov-09, 09:53
Just did a search for Balmore related threads and I found this. Quite staggering really.:confused :~(

http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=596160&postcount=14

highlander
16-Nov-09, 10:07
I just phoned to ask about the dog, i am happy to tell that the dog has been claimed by its owners

muffin
16-Nov-09, 10:36
So how can you now find out what dogs are available for re-homing in Caithness, my friend has been looking on the SSPCA website, does the Dog warden have a web page or anything?

Venture
16-Nov-09, 10:45
So how can you now find out what dogs are available for re-homing in Caithness, my friend has been looking on the SSPCA website, does the Dog warden have a web page or anything?

You can contact her on Wick 607737.;)

Kenn
16-Nov-09, 10:47
Interesting link rheghead but surely the staff cost would exist regardless of whether there were one or more dogs/animals in care.
I can understand the rest of the charges that The SSPCA would seek to recover and wonder what the expense to the council amounts to in comparison, I have a sneaking suspiscion that it just might be higher in the long term.

BINBOB
16-Nov-09, 11:02
Interesting link rheghead but surely the staff cost would exist regardless of whether there were one or more dogs/animals in care.
I can understand the rest of the charges that The SSPCA would seek to recover and wonder what the expense to the council amounts to in comparison, I have a sneaking suspiscion that it just might be higher in the long term.

Right on there,LIZZ.;)

BINBOB
16-Nov-09, 11:03
The Highland council have had 24 strays since the 1st of September 2009, happily 19 of these have been reunited with their owners and the 6 that were not claimed have all found lovely new loving homes.
And ALL down to ur hard work ,dedication and care!!Well done.;)

BINBOB
16-Nov-09, 11:06
The Council have used various kennels in the past for stray dogs and no doubt a new contract will be negotiated with alternative accomodation.

That is exactly what does happen in a lot of areas in Scotland..the councils do Not all use the SSPCA.........Some use private kennels,which are much cheaper than the SSPCA.Of course the dogs would still need vaccs. etc....but still cheaper.

Wick66
16-Nov-09, 11:22
The question must be why the SSPCA must recover the full cost of the kennels. As a charity surely they must have on obligation to care for these strays. Other charities such as the RNLI and Mountain Rescue and lots of others do not try to recover their respective costs from those unfortunate enough to need their services. I can understand certain fees having to be settled but there must be a limit to this. If an organisation is recovering the full cost of their service they must surely be endangering their charity status.

Rheghead
16-Nov-09, 11:34
I got my present dog from Barrow council rescue (I found it, I seem to have a habit of this) and the real owner wouldn't stump up the money to release the dog so I got it. The costs were £15 castration cost and £12 board and lodgings. So if some owners are unwilling to stump up a measely £27 for their dog what chance have the dogs got if the owners have to face paying the true cost of their board? :confused

Leanne
16-Nov-09, 12:38
I got my present dog from Barrow council rescue (I found it, I seem to have a habit of this) and the real owner wouldn't stump up the money to release the dog so I got it. The costs were £15 castration cost and £12 board and lodgings. So if some owners are unwilling to stump up a measely £27 for their dog what chance have the dogs got if the owners have to face paying the true cost of their board? :confused

Does that mean that all dogs that are found are castrated? My dogs are both done but if I had a dog that I was intentionally keeping entire and someone cut it I would be somewhat angry :(

I do feel that the SSPCA/RSPCA are wrong charging so much. They are one of the biggest and well known charities in the country. One thing missing off that list is the amount they get in return for the dogs. The usual cost I have found when looking to rehome a dog is £60 for a mongrel and £150+ for a pure bred, depending on the breed. I know not all charge this much but these fees have been omitted from the link.

The animal rehoming centres do a fantastic job and it is a shame it is being spoilt by burocracy :(

Is there any way of setting up a network of foster homes from this forum? I homed a dog from an online charity where the dogs are kept in foster homes until rehoming. The people get a lot of information online about potential dogs first first hand from the foster carers. Dogs can be properly assessed as to what sort of home they would be suitable for as they are in a home and they don't develop problems that you get with dogs that are kept in kennels for weeks/months. Just an idea?

BINBOB
16-Nov-09, 13:14
Does that mean that all dogs that are found are castrated? My dogs are both done but if I had a dog that I was intentionally keeping entire and someone cut it I would be somewhat angry :(

I do feel that the SSPCA/RSPCA are wrong charging so much. They are one of the biggest and well known charities in the country. One thing missing off that list is the amount they get in return for the dogs. The usual cost I have found when looking to rehome a dog is £60 for a mongrel and £150+ for a pure bred, depending on the breed. I know not all charge this much but these fees have been omitted from the link.

The animal rehoming centres do a fantastic job and it is a shame it is being spoilt by burocracy :(

Is there any way of setting up a network of foster homes from this forum? I homed a dog from an online charity where the dogs are kept in foster homes until rehoming. The people get a lot of information online about potential dogs first first hand from the foster carers. Dogs can be properly assessed as to what sort of home they would be suitable for as they are in a home and they don't develop problems that you get with dogs that are kept in kennels for weeks/months. Just an idea?

Good post....the dog warden does have a small network of foster carers...but needsMORE!!

Best to email mop top...dog warden,privately,I am sure she will be grateful help anyone can give.She also needs dog food ,blankets etc for the stray dogs .I think even dog bowls would be a good idea,something practical.

We should also look at fundraising??

cuddlepop
16-Nov-09, 13:15
If your dog is lifted by the dog warden here for being a stray its kept overnight at the local police station and then sent onto Munlochy.

I know they charge you for the cost of looking after it while its been there but not sure how much.

I'm confused now,does that mean unless a suitable alternative for strays can be found in Caithness you'll have your dogs sent there too.:confused

highlander
16-Nov-09, 13:49
I hope you dont think this is a stupid question but what is the purpose of balmore animal centre? yes i know they have animals that you can give a home to but are these animals that are on offer unwanted pets, it is a pity there is not a local website that can give us more information and photos about stray animals, wonder if admin would allow the dog warden to use ccws or if she would be willing to give information to us. I already have two dogs but when i read about the dog that rheghead found it certainly pulled the heart strings to help this dog. Maybe the owner had read the thread on here and was able to get the dog back quicker as i would imagine the area it was found is vast and maybe had been searching for it for days, so i am very pleased its had a happy ending.

cuddlepop
16-Nov-09, 14:02
I hope you dont think this is a stupid question but what is the purpose of balmore animal centre? yes i know they have animals that you can give a home to but are these animals that are on offer unwanted pets, it is a pity there is not a local website that can give us more information and photos about stray animals, wonder if admin would allow the dog warden to use ccws or if she would be willing to give information to us. I already have two dogs but when i read about the dog that rheghead found it certainly pulled the heart strings to help this dog. Maybe the owner had read the thread on here and was able to get the dog back quicker as i would imagine the area it was found is vast and maybe had been searching for it for days, so i am very pleased its had a happy ending.

That sounds a good idea.
We already have "free to a good home" on the pets section so I say this idea was just an extention of a forum not an addition.:D

Rheghead
16-Nov-09, 14:25

No, the kennel just includes the cost of castration into the bail out payment on all dogs and cats that haven't been castrated. It is up to the owner whether to take the animal to the vet to carry out the operation.

sunshine23
16-Nov-09, 14:47
Can someone tell me the dog warden's telephone number if it is needed?

Leanne
16-Nov-09, 15:27
I'd be willing to foster larger dogs that are OK with cats and other dogs (I have 2 big dogs and 2 cats that take no nonsense from unruly pups ;)). I'm by Watten and and could foster for a few days/weeks in an emergency. The dogs aren't left for more than 4 hours are walked daily including beach walks.

I'd also be willing do donate web space if someone wanted to set up a website to put information of dogs out there on the net. Or would do it myself if someone came in with me to help.

Leanne
16-Nov-09, 15:28
Can someone tell me the dog warden's telephone number if it is needed?

You can contact her on Wick 607737.;)

[it was already given :P

mop top
16-Nov-09, 17:58
Hi All

Who have posted on this thread, for those of you who havent guessed yet i am the dog warden for the highland council:D. I was somewhat confused when i first started reading this thread but have guessed now that there must have been 2 dogs handed into police station in Thurso on Friday. The one that Rheghead handed in has obviously been claimed but there was also another one which has not been:~(. I have posted details about him on the pets corner section and am happy to say that he is in a lovely foster home and being spoilt rotten at the moment however if he is not claimed by this Friday he will be up for rehoming. Any help or support that anyone could give me would be most welcome, happy to say that we dont have a huge amount of dogs for rehoming but please pass the word around that we will occasionally have a dog or puppy for rehoming often through no fault of their own but just because their owners have either abandoned them or just not bothered to claim them back. The Council have currently got in for planning permission to convert a building into a kennel block so that we can hold strays for the statuatory 7 days however after that time if i cannot find homes or temporary fosterers then their stance is that they could be destroyed:~( For all of you who know me personally you will know that i will do everything in my power never to let this happen unless the dog is simply unhomeable or has a severe medical problem. I am really busy doing dog stuff at work and tend to do a lot of rehoming stuff in my spare time so would really welcome any help with setting up a website so that i could pass pics on of dogs for rehoming and dogs that have been found for publicising. Please call me if you can offer any help however small you think your contribution may be it will be most welcome.

thanks for reading.

anne

_Ju_
16-Nov-09, 19:21

The animals are spayed and castrated to avoid more strays coming into existance. It makes sense. SPCA“s in many countries have the castration policy. It also prevents people from indiscriminate reproduction (usually of animals of breed) to sell the pups.

Leanne
16-Nov-09, 19:29
The animals are spayed and castrated to avoid more strays coming into existance. It makes sense. SPCA“s in many countries have the castration policy. It also prevents people from indiscriminate reproduction (usually of animals of breed) to sell the pups.

But imagine if you had a well bred dog and showed it - that castration would eliminate you from any further shows. I have a lurcher and I have been told on many occasions that he is show quality and I should not have castrated him :( If I had known this I would have kept him entire... For someone else to take the decision away because he got loose on one occasion would be rather unfortunate...

Rheghead
16-Nov-09, 19:44
But imagine if you had a well bred dog and showed it - that castration would eliminate you from any further shows. I have a lurcher and I have been told on many occasions that he is show quality and I should not have castrated him :( If I had known this I would have kept him entire... For someone else to take the decision away because he got loose on one occasion would be rather unfortunate...

In which case you don't opt for it to be done. :roll:

Leanne
16-Nov-09, 20:01
In which case you don't opt for it to be done. :roll:

Sorry missed the part where it said you had the option for it not to be done. There are several posts stating it is done to avoid unwanted pregnancies - didn't realise they sought owners permission first oops

attidude9464
16-Nov-09, 20:06
Sorry missed the part where it said you had the option for it not to be done. There are several posts stating it is done to avoid unwanted pregnancies - didn't realise they sought owners permission first oops

Am I being stupid but who are "they" in the above statement?

Leanne
16-Nov-09, 20:37
Am I being stupid but who are "they" in the above statement?

The organisation rescuing the dog...

Stavro
16-Nov-09, 20:38

Have to agree with you there.

Leanne
16-Nov-09, 20:56
Have to agree with you there.

Tis OK - seems you have a week to claim the dog when they have to seek your permission.

I wonder how many people intentionally lose their dogs just to get them castrated at a reduced cost? £15 is a bargain compared to the £104 it cost to have my dog de-pompomed!

god Stavos you cynicsm seems to have rubbed off on me - we need to stop agreeing!!!!

mop top
16-Nov-09, 21:01
Tis OK - seems you have a week to claim the dog when they have to seek your permission.

I wonder how many people intentionally lose their dogs just to get them castrated at a reduced cost? £15 is a bargain compared to the £104 it cost to have my dog de-pompomed!

The local sspca centre no longer neuter or spay dogs or cats before they are rehomed, this stopped several years ago.

Leanne
16-Nov-09, 21:07
The local sspca centre no longer neuter or spay dogs or cats before they are rehomed, this stopped several years ago.

That's unusual. Never heard of that happening anywhere before. Every shelter I have been associated with has always rehomed dogs neutered so to stop the cycle. There is one rehab forum that I rehomed a dog from that have a lower adoption fee for an unneutered dog but will not give you proof of ownership until you show proof of castration...

attidude9464
16-Nov-09, 21:08
You are correct Mop Top. This was stopped when the SSPCA went into a financial crisis.