PDA

View Full Version : Jamming

Chobbersjnr
19-Apr-06, 01:43
I had the old jamming thang happening today, it was so funky

I played bass for most of it & wrote a tune called Taste Of Almonds.............we played around a shuffle style blues thang' (what a great woid:D ) & played a metal style version of P/belle's Canon in which the drummer & I swapped round between bass & drums

You don't hear nearly so much about jamming these days (you know playing for the crack). I remember walking around Thurso in the late 80s early 90s & you would hear people jamming in garages, kitchens, living rooms, high school halls the list goes on, the point is there was lots of it going & not all of it with a view to superstardom just guys & gals havin' a lark

The jam factor was boosted no end today & people around felt the same way "it was happening man" the musicians in question that made it happen

Jack Mcphee-drums & bass
Joe Paterson-guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!
& ME-drums & bass

flippin' great crack

thanks guys
Cjnr[smirk]

Gleber2
19-Apr-06, 02:55

I played bass for most of it & wrote a tune called Taste Of Almonds.............we played around a shuffle style blues thang' (what a great woid:D ) & played a metal style version of P/belle's Canon in which the drummer & I swapped round between bass & drums

You don't hear nearly so much about jamming these days (you know playing for the crack). I remember walking around Thurso in the late 80s early 90s & you would hear people jamming in garages, kitchens, living rooms, high school halls the list goes on, the point is there was lots of it going & not all of it with a view to superstardom just guys & gals havin' a lark

The jam factor was boosted no end today & people around felt the same way "it was happening man" the musicians in question that made it happen

Jack Mcphee-drums & bass
& ME-drums & bass

flippin' great crack

thanks guys
Cjnr[smirk]

I heard it all and was given renewed faith in the direction that young local musicians could take. I heard more original music in that session today than I have heard from any young band that has passed through my studio in the last few years. I hope they keep it up.Well done Joe and Jack and I hope you keep it up.

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Apr-06, 03:54
Funny you should mention that, Chobbers. Just today I was jamming with a guy who makes home-made instruments. The guitar player was from Oakland, California, and looked/played like a Hendrix clone. Anyway, we were jammin' reggae versions of the Robert Palmer album that featured The Meters and Little Feat on it: Sneakin' Sally Thru The Alley. Or as they might say in Caithness, Teetin Ally Thru Manson's Lane. Why don't you come down to the open jam at Henry's Cellar Bar some Friday night?

The Pepsi Challenge
19-Apr-06, 07:16
You might recognise these guys jamming, Chobbers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bu1rFQFMB4&search=mahavishnu%20orchestra

Chobbersjnr
19-Apr-06, 19:26
hey I wrote that..............................& the mahavishnu orchestra stole it off me:Razz

John Maglachlin & I are due a reckoning:evil

BTW it's a long way off but I will defo. be in edinburooga early december (playing a wedding)

Cjnr

tierce-de-picardie
19-Apr-06, 19:36
He he my oh my that jam whats mighty good. i'de rather use another word to describe it but i might get banned for a month.

How petty is this zebedy has been banned for a month for having a link to his myspace that suposedly had bad content on it, which i can assure you does not.

Hey noticed my writing is a little more 'formal' lol

joe

Chobbersjnr
19-Apr-06, 19:38
He he my oh my that jam whats mighty good. i'de rather use another word to describe it but i might get banned for a month.

How petty is this zebedy has been banned for a month for having a link to his myspace that suposedly had bad content on it, which i can assure you does not.

Hey noticed my writing is a little more 'formal' lol

joe

wow why not execute him while they're at it:evil

Deemac
22-Apr-06, 15:05
hey I wrote that..............................& the mahavishnu orchestra stole it off me:Razz

John Maglachlin & I are due a reckoning:evil

BTW it's a long way off but I will defo. be in edinburooga early december (playing a wedding)

Cjnr

Chobbers,
Do you think there will be any jammin at this wedding your playing at?

Could be an opportunity to expand the punters heads!! (of course the other players may have issues with this concept!!!!)

Can you dance to an eight's N reel in 5/4 time?

Chobbersjnr
22-Apr-06, 17:34
Chobbers,
Do you think there will be any jammin at this wedding your playing at?

Could be an opportunity to expand the punters heads!! (of course the other players may have issues with this concept!!!!)

Can you dance to an eight's N reel in 5/4 time?

Hmmmmmmmmmm don't know about 5/4 but I remember an audience dancing to 11/8 (it wasn't an eights n' reel though)

& the other players can just follow the lead (the first free-form jazz wedding with accordian & fiddle)

Yahoo:evil

Deemac
23-Apr-06, 00:12
Wasn't a Genesis track was it?

"Suppers Ready" has some funky little sections. ( in 11/8)

(Now I show my age!!)

O well, back to some Absynth 3 MIDI editing . . . . .!

Chobbersjnr
23-Apr-06, 00:18
Wasn't a Genesis track was it?

"Suppers Ready" has some funky little sections. ( in 11/8)

(Now I show my age!!)

O well, back to some Absynth 3 MIDI editing . . . . .!

No it was older than that & I'm younger than you

it was the main hook from St. Stephen & The Eleven (greatful dead)

midi editing huh......enough to drive an elephant mad:Razz

Deemac
23-Apr-06, 17:08
Spelt: Grateful Dead. Sorry to be picky.

This must also show up my 'great' age!! Good track and band though. Famed of course for their jammin' delights (many of enormous length - O, back to the elephant's . . . .!!).

Now - How thick was the stone?

Chobbersjnr
23-Apr-06, 19:15
Spelt: Grateful Dead. Sorry to be picky.-----true but most of the dead are greatful:D

This must also show up my 'great' age!! Good track and band though. Famed of course for their jammin' delights (many of enormous length - O, back to the elephant's . . . .!!).-----CAREFUL elephants seem to be endangered on this forum

Now - How thick was the stone?----about 1 1/2 feet

shoowapdoowah

Deemac
23-Apr-06, 21:20
shoowapdoowah

Now this is a unit of measurement I'm not familiar with. Has it something to do with elephant trunk lengths? Or possibly an old stone masons cutting implement!!

Strange, very strange . . . . .

Chobbersjnr
23-Apr-06, 21:23
Now this is a unit of measurement I'm not familiar with. Has it something to do with elephant trunk lengths? Or possibly an old stone masons cutting implement!!

Strange, very strange . . . . .

NO Deemac you're completely dissapearing up your trunk my friend:p

it's the measurement called ("your post is to short minimum of 10 characters required, flippin' rules man)

Deemac
24-Apr-06, 23:37
And I thought it might be something interesting, like a Frank Zappa track (In his doo-wap phase!!)

Nonsense, utter nonsense I say. . .. .. .. ..

Anyway I did some jammin' in my day, even captured a few to tape. I seem to recall a 45 minute long piece being fairly reasonable once. Problem was it wasn't very radio-play friendly. And for that matter not very commercial either!! Pity really. (O yes there wasn't any audience to hear it). In fact recording a jam usually signalled its death some way or other. All the really great ones never made it to tape or I pressed the wrong button (or maybe my impression of them at the time made them seem great!!) Anyway jammin' should be encouraged more. Let the musicians free up from structure and just blow . . . . . Best just not to let anyone else hear the results!!!

Chobbersjnr
25-Apr-06, 01:09
And I thought it might be something interesting, like a Frank Zappa track (In his doo-wap phase!!)

Nonsense, utter nonsense I say. . .. .. .. ..

Anyway I did some jammin' in my day, even captured a few to tape. I seem to recall a 45 minute long piece being fairly reasonable once. Problem was it wasn't very radio-play friendly. And for that matter not very commercial either!! Pity really. (O yes there wasn't any audience to hear it). In fact recording a jam usually signalled its death some way or other. All the really great ones never made it to tape or I pressed the wrong button (or maybe my impression of them at the time made them seem great!!) Anyway jammin' should be encouraged more. Let the musicians free up from structure and just blow . . . . . Best just not to let anyone else hear the results!!!

hmmmmmmmm I've a memory of sound on sound doing a bit on the Bleached Parrot...............................did I just write that out loud

Deemac
28-Apr-06, 23:56
Ahhh, the (in)famous 'Bleached Parrot' - first aired I seem to remember in the 'Old' Weigh Inn (Before it was burned down to claim on the insurance and cream the tax payer for a re-build!!!)

Anyway, free jazz was the theme (though I seem to recall many a strange concept was put up as the 'inspiration' for the pieces) Not sure what the poor punter made of it but the band seemed to have had a whale of a time (which is after all what it's all about)

Don't seem to see that sort of thing much these days. I guess the punters are too used to furmula entertainment (preferably with a remote control to hand!!) and the muso's too scarred to walk the musical tight-rope in public and take a chance.

Never mind. Here's to Jammin' (the lost art).

Chobbersjnr
29-Apr-06, 02:21
Ahhh, the (in)famous 'Bleached Parrot' - first aired I seem to remember in the 'Old' Weigh Inn (Before it was burned down to claim on the insurance and cream the tax payer for a re-build!!!) aye the phoenix rising from the ashes.............did I just say that

What did the punters think...............well it's free init y'know free jazz

[quote=Deemac]Don't seem to see that sort of thing much these days. I guess the punters are too used to furmula entertainment (preferably with a remote control to hand!!) and the muso's too scarred to walk the musical tight-rope in public and take a chance.
quote]

hence the common quote "put on brown eyed girl"

Deemac
29-Apr-06, 19:57
Yes, the poor punters - fed a diet of bland, mediocrity that only seems to improve with yet another dram to dull the senses further. (of course contibuting nicely to the tax system that will eventually help pay for their failing health due to years of liver damage and poor nutrition!! - sorry I digress a little . . . . .)

The muso's also end up feeding and pandering to the same system as it ends up the only way to get a regular gig. (Unless your one of the 0.005% that happen to be in the right place at the right time) O yes, how 'Brown eyed girl' gets them up from their intoxicated apathy. (we must also not forget the delights of 'Amerillo' as the last resort!!).

Myself, I've learnt to enjoy these simplistic musical ventures. I gig regularly, stripped myself of (most of!!) my urges to walder too far down the 'experimental' path.

Hey - the pocket money's good, the punters are happy and most of all I get to play in public, which if the crowds up for it, is not bettered as an experience.

But, . . . . . . I do miss the jammin.

TopCatsPurr
01-May-06, 21:58
Do singers jam?

Deemac
01-May-06, 22:49
It's well known in jazz circles, and I do have fond memories of playing in the Newmarket Bar many years ago with James Sutherland as vocalist (the Z-Rox James not the music shop James!!). He invited the audience to come up with a subject for a blues song. And so 'Lawnmower blues' was born that very day!! (Who claims copyright to this masterpiece is debatable!!) Quite a difficult thing to do though. I presume also some rap artists improvise in a sort of trading licks type of ego contest thing.

zebedy
07-May-06, 00:40

Jack Mcphee-drums & bass
& ME-drums & bass

flippin' great crack

thanks guys
Cjnr[smirk]

Exams will be over soon!

And we will be back soon aswell.. If ure still up for another jaimmin sesh again???

Chobbersjnr
07-May-06, 00:48
Exams will be over soon!

And we will be back soon aswell.. If ure still up for another jaimmin sesh again???

heck yeah & we'll play a brand new kind of electroscottishjazzfolkpunk with rock & roll overtones

Chobbersjnr
07-May-06, 00:52
Do singers jam?

yes they do. indeed what deemac said about lawnmower blues stands although I would suggest that scat singing that you hear jazzers playing/singing is more of the jam thang as there are no words to get in the

if you neet-anot-anetta-know what I'm saying

Deemac
07-May-06, 01:55
heck yeah & we'll play a brand new kind of electroscottishjazzfolkpunk with rock & roll overtones

So it'll sound like Led Zepplin then I take it . . . . . . (Subtle, you have to admit)

Chobbersjnr
07-May-06, 14:34
So it'll sound like Led Zepplin then I take it . . . . . . (Subtle, you have to admit)

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh without Page, Plant or Jones & Bonzo's deid. LZ indeed

BTW it's Zeppelin:Razz or is it Zeppellin, JEID you spelling nazi which one is it

zebedy
07-May-06, 14:55
Led Zeppelin

seee...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/Zebedy00/Stage_A_1024.gif

Chobbersjnr
07-May-06, 19:52
LMAO

they couldn't even get the backdrop central to the shot & where's the band??

I know where they are but I'd get banned forever if I said it on ere:Razz