PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell

piratelassie
14-Nov-09, 18:08
How can you tell the difference between a hen and a cockerel when thy are young..? Or is it a case of wait and see..:confused

Pony
14-Nov-09, 18:28
I have three chooks that were born in early September and I still dont have the faintest idea what their genders are...although I think mine are crowing so are probably all blokes!! Totally difficult to tell.

majic
14-Nov-09, 18:34
I don't know if it is true but i remember something about the feathers on the neck of the male are pointed and the hens are curved

chaz
14-Nov-09, 18:37
How can you tell the difference between a hen and a cockerel when thy are young..? Or is it a case of wait and see..:confused

Hi, depends on the breed,some are easier than others.Tail feathers, facial features,shape and a few other pointers can determine the sex.Some breeds are autosexing by colour on hatching:)

horsegirl
14-Nov-09, 22:33
Hi

Dont know if this is true or not but i was told that cockerals came easier to you than hens. I have young at the moment and one of them comes to me and the other goes to the back of the cage as soon as a go near it. Maybe its just the breed, but i not sure.

piratelassie
14-Nov-09, 22:48
Thanks for replies.I think the breed are barred rocks. I have noticed the larger of the two is getting long greenish feathers on its tail, so maybe its going to be male, guess its a wait and see...:confused

chaz
15-Nov-09, 12:54
Thanks for replies.I think the breed are barred rocks. I have noticed the larger of the two is getting long greenish feathers on its tail, so maybe its going to be male, guess its a wait and see...:confused
Hi sounds like it may be male, are the feathers rounded or more pointy?Has it got a larger comb?

Phoenix200416
16-Nov-09, 01:24
I was told that male chicks legs can appear bigger than females. They often grow their combs quicker than the girls too. Obviously it helps if you have to that obviously look different in that respect for a comparison!

piratelassie
16-Nov-09, 02:22
I have noticed these Rocks have very large legs for the size off there bodies,but they are young. I am having problems with my four lohmann browns,they will not accept the new rocks and its a case of letting them out at different times and in different areas. If they turn out to be cockerels I will have to find them new homes as Im to close to neighbours..

Miss Mack
19-Nov-09, 18:44
I have noticed these Rocks have very large legs for the size off there bodies,but they are young. I am having problems with my four lohmann browns,they will not accept the new rocks and its a case of letting them out at different times and in different areas. If they turn out to be cockerels I will have to find them new homes as Im to close to neighbours..
Get Dad to sound proof the hen house and dinna let them oot till lunch time LOL X:lol:

piratelassie
20-Nov-09, 00:50
Get Dad to sound proof the hen house and dinna let them oot till lunch time LOL X:lol:

Ill be giving them to you as a present..ha ha.....:lol:

Miss Mack
22-Nov-09, 20:26
Oh thats very generous of you but i quite like living here X:lol:;)

Dylandog
23-Nov-09, 16:14
I saw a brief clip some time ago on u tube [posted from America] and it shows that if you look closely at the chicks in the first few days after hatching [holding towards a light] You look for the length of the chicks feathers if they are all the same length it is a male and if the feathers are different lengths from one to another then its female.
I have not been able to test the theory as I am waiting for a broody hen at present so if anyone out there is expecting chicks please give us all an update because from our last hatch of 6 chicks we had two cockerels.
We still have free to a good home one lovely Maran Cockerel if anyone can give him a loving home.