PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to live on the Moon?

crayola
14-Nov-09, 16:23
From the BBC.... 'Significant' water found on Moon (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8359744.stm)....

Nasa's experiment last month to find water on the Moon was a major success, US scientists have announced.

The space agency smashed a rocket and a probe into a large crater at the lunar south pole, hoping to kick up ice.

Scientists who have studied the data now say instruments trained on the impact plume saw copious quantities of water-ice and water vapour.

One researcher described this as the equivalent of "a dozen two-gallon buckets" of water.

"We didn't just find a little bit; we found a significant amount," said Anthony Colaprete, chief scientist for the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) mission.
and

Useful resource

The total quantity of H2O spied by the instruments was more than 100kg. It came out of a 20m-30m wide hole dug up by the impacting Centaur rocket.
That's a lot of water from a not very big hole and it could mean the moon could sustain human life after all.

Would you like to spend some weeks, months or even years living on the moon?

redeyedtreefrog
14-Nov-09, 17:11
If it was a nice house and I could have good quality contact with my family and friends

Vistravi
14-Nov-09, 17:44
It could be interesting ;)

Rheghead
14-Nov-09, 18:04
Why is there no life on the moon? Seems a waste of rock to have nothing on it already.

ShelleyCowie
14-Nov-09, 18:14
yeah why not! What an experience it would be. Would love to sit and watch the earth, we are so used to looking at the moon! :)

Bazeye
14-Nov-09, 18:29
Whats the freeview signal and the O2 signal like?

northener
14-Nov-09, 19:40
It's OK, but I wouldn't go back there.

Kodiak
14-Nov-09, 21:14
OOO Yes please as it would be great to be one sixth of the weight I am now :D and all witout a diet, :D

Alice in Blunderland
14-Nov-09, 21:27
It's OK, but I wouldn't go back there.

What you mean go back there. I was always under the impression you were on a different planet. :Razz :p

northener
14-Nov-09, 21:44
What you mean go back there. I was always under the impression you were on a different planet. :Razz :p

You can really go off some people y'know.......:Razz

joxville
14-Nov-09, 21:46
Would you like to spend some weeks, months or even years living on the moon?
If it's the only way I can excape your polls then I'm on the next shuttle flight. :eek:

northener
14-Nov-09, 21:53
If it's the only way I can excape your polls then I'm on the next shuttle flight. :eek:

I think we should have a poll on whether Joxy should go or not.:Razz

Rheghead
14-Nov-09, 21:57
I think we should have a poll on whether Joxy should go or not.:Razz

yeah please but make it public

northener
14-Nov-09, 22:01
yeah please but make it public

Damn, forgot that bit. Sorry.

canuck
14-Nov-09, 22:04
I signed up without a moment's hesitation. Shelley I think that it might be only you and me.

crayola
15-Nov-09, 00:12
Why is there no life on the moon? Seems a waste of rock to have nothing on it already.
Perhaps the Apollo astronauts left some life on the moon, for example some bacteria that survived in the bright sunlight and damp moondust.

Rheghead
15-Nov-09, 00:21
Perhaps the Apollo astronauts left some life on the moon, for example some bacteria that survived in the bright sunlight and damp moondust.

Plenty of bright sunshine but the moondust wouldn't be damp.

crayola
15-Nov-09, 00:46
I read recently about water being discovered in moonrock brought back by the Apollo missions but they didn't make a fuss about it at the time because they couldn't rule out contamination on the return flight or back on Earth. I think it only resurfaced after the Indians(??) discovered water on the moon recently. :confused

Phill
15-Nov-09, 01:33
You'd better be careful! The Clangers are mean, unforgiving, nasty, callous little blighter's when it comes to territorial fights.

All these Apollo Moon landing "one small step" shenanigans were pure fiction, this is where Spielberg really served his apprenticeship.

The Cold War had nothing on the utter, embarrassing, defeat that faced the West on it's Lunar programs.
The Soup Dragon really does call the shots.

I know people write me off as a conspiracy theorist, but I know the truth. I can see past all this NASA propaganda. Leave the Moon alone, leave the Clangers alone...cute they are not. Their revenge may be swift but not painless.

crayola
15-Nov-09, 12:41
The Clangers don't live on the moon Phill. There's no soup there. :(

Stingray
15-Nov-09, 12:43
Yes, but only if there are no polls!

David Banks
15-Nov-09, 14:14
No.
I hear the place has no atmosphere.

Phill
15-Nov-09, 19:00

Can you be sure, just 'cos you ain't seen it doesn't mean it isn't there.

You have to believe!

golach
15-Nov-09, 20:02

There is a Soup Monster in Castletown, why not one on the Moon? [lol]

Dog-eared
15-Nov-09, 23:52
It would be good being on the moon for a while, as long as they guaranteed returning me alive!
No Shuttle re-entry for me. Give me a Russky re-entry any day ! :)