PDA

View Full Version : A poke between the eyes

crayola
13-Nov-09, 22:49
Who would you like to poke between the eyes with a cursed sharp stick?

I'll start with Robton on Foot Stompin' (http://www.footstompin.com/public/forum?threadid=628379&pageid=3). See the third post and his ones on the previous pages.

George W Bush comes next.

George Brims
13-Nov-09, 23:02

I'll start with Robton on Foot Stompin' (http://www.footstompin.com/public/forum?threadid=628379&pageid=3). See the third post and his ones on the previous pages.

I would never, ever poke someone between the eyes with a sharp stick. That would be terrible.

I do however harbour fantasies of tapping certain people in the center of the forehead with the rounded side of a ball-peen hammer. Not enough to injure them; just hard enough to really get their attention so I can yell at them and get some sense through their thick skulls.

For some others, a swift smack across the back of the head with a section of 2 by 4 might be required.

crayola
13-Nov-09, 23:04
Thanks for the practical tips George.

Can you name names?

George Brims
13-Nov-09, 23:26
I shall refrain from naming names, on the off chance any of these people should come to harm, and I get the blame. Besides, despite my recurring fantasy, I know there are many people I could try to improve with my wee hammer, but I wouldn't get anywhere, and then I would get locked up for using the 2 by 4.

But a man can dream.

crayola
13-Nov-09, 23:51
Not even GW? It's a bit late to prevent him doing more damage but it would get the message over.

I can handle Robton myself if as I suspect he is a typical central Scotland fake Gaelic twerp.

Tristan
14-Nov-09, 00:34
It is so refreshing seeing people realise GW was an idiot...took a lot of flack from a lot of people on here for saying so way back when GW and Tony were taking us into a war of lies. It iis nice to see a positive shift in thinking.
I think GW and Tony both deserve one.

crayola
14-Nov-09, 00:37
Ok Tristan, you take TB and you can leave GW to me. I shall take delight in the moment.

northener
14-Nov-09, 01:36
Barry Scott.

And anyone who tries to talk to me about celebreties or talent shows.

Oooh, and Felix the Cat.

Leanne
14-Nov-09, 12:09
I'd say Russel Brand - irritating twerp!

Also Stavos but then at the same time I usually want to give him a big snog for being so hilariously ludicrous :)

oldmarine
14-Nov-09, 13:15
There have been some mean spirited things posted on here by some posters. Some of them political. Regardless of political views, sometimes decisions have to be made that become distatesful to future generations. I cite the situations leading up to WW2 when Churchill & Roosevelt declared war against the axis powers. It was something that could not be avoided unless they were willing to give up their country to invading armies. Plus, during wars things are done that later come back to haunt the winners. I was accused by a poster a few years ago of slaughtering innoscent women and children when my country ordered two atomic bombs on the Japanese empire to stop the war. It was successful but a harsh way to stop the war. Later studies showed that if the two A-bombs were not dropped, excessive lives would have been lost on both sides. I do not advocate war nor the taking of lives; however, there are times when we don't have a choice. We may have to face that again with the ongoing situation going on between Christians, Islamic Muslims, and even those who don't claim either religion who are called Infidels by some. This is a distateful subject that started small, but I can sense it growing even larger.

crayola
14-Nov-09, 14:57
Churchill and Roosevelt will be spinning in their graves if they're reading that (in my opinion) totally unjustified comparison. The post 2001 world is very different from the 1930s world and GWB isn't fit to lick the shoes of either Churchill or Roosevelt.

George Brims
14-Nov-09, 20:49
It is so refreshing seeing people realise GW was an idiot...took a lot of flack from a lot of people on here for saying so way back when GW and Tony were taking us into a war of lies. It iis nice to see a positive shift in thinking.
I think GW and Tony both deserve one.

What sort of hole in the ground have you been living in? Most people realised a long time ago Dubya was a chump. The late and much missed Molly Ivins, Texas political journalist, tried to warn everyone before the GOP foisted him on the US and the world, but to no avail. She called him "Shrub", and his brother who was Governor of Florida for a while "Twig".

And well said Crayola. Dubya and the neocons were planning to attack Iraq even before 9/11 (are you listening 9/11 "truthers"?) and would have gone ahead and done it on some pretext or other.

crayola
15-Nov-09, 00:36
And well said Crayola. Dubya and the neocons were planning to attack Iraq even before 9/11 (are you listening 9/11 "truthers"?) and would have gone ahead and done it on some pretext or other.Yes and I wonder what excuse Dubya would have used if there had been no 9/11. It might even have been weaker than Robton's reasons for attacking the people of Caithness and John Rosie in particular.

I've just had an idea for a new poll. :cool:

Invisible
15-Nov-09, 02:47
i'd split the stick in two and use it against Jedward and their ruining every song the sing ways

Miss Mack
15-Nov-09, 11:04

The lady in front of me at the tills in Somerfield the other day. The 2 tills that were open both had queues of customers yet she stood there and watched the checkout operator pack ALL of her shopping and even had the cheek to criticize the way she was doing it. It was lunch time, so possibly, others like myself were on a half hour lunch break, needless to say I was'nt happy ![evil]

joxville
15-Nov-09, 14:01
The man across the road from me who's car alarm sounded for 30 miutes before he managed to switch it off. [evil]

tonkatojo
15-Nov-09, 15:48

Why do you quote "a poke between the eyes" I don't get the logic ??

crayola
21-Nov-09, 03:20

This thread didn't cause much activity on the Org but it rekindled the thread on Foot Stompin'.

I must admit that I severely overestimated the Gaelic community, probably due to being inspired by WBG's many conciliatory and sometimes excellent posts on the Org. In my eyes Arthur Peanut exemplifies the lack of understanding of Caithness displayed throughout the whole Gaelic movement and if the top man is so utterly hopeless what must the rest be like? As I have said all along, they just don't listen and in particular I now know Arthur Peanut just doesn't listen and even if he did listen I don't think he has the intellectual ability to hear or to understand never mind to respond effectively.

It was interesting to see FrankC put his other oar in. I wondered what he'd done with it, it's not like him to be so quiet.

Does Arthur deserve a poke between the eyes with a cursed sharp stick? Undoubtedly but I fear sharper action is required. I considered joining Foot Stompin' but there's so little sign of indigenous cranial activity it might be more effective to leave them to chew on their own chanters in their own company.

Aaldtimer
21-Nov-09, 04:27
Crayola,..."It was interesting to see FrankC put his other oar in. I wondered what he'd done with it, it's not like him to be so quiet."...can you explain exactly what you mean?
Yes, I am FrankC on Footstompin', so just which of my two posts on there do you object to?
Both were statements of fact.
Why do you demean yourself by giving one of the most respected figures, and singers in Gaeldom the soubriquet of "Peanut"?[disgust]
Just to be as open as possible, I'm Frank Charlton, Chairman of Caithness FM, and I hope and pray that the National Mod is a great success in Caithness next year.
Arthur Cormack, through his contact with MacMeanmna Record label, has supplied a lot of support for CFM with CDs which I play often on my folk music programme on Tuesday nights.
What is your problem?:confused

gleeber
21-Nov-09, 10:33
Well I don't have a problem with you Frank unless of course in your capacity as Chairman of CFM you support the artificial insemination of Caithness with the Gaelic language in which case I would like to give you a poke between the eyes with anything that may make you sit up and pay attention to the issues at hand. A purely hypothetical poke between the eyes of course. ;)

crayola
21-Nov-09, 14:19
Well I don't have a problem with you Frank unless of course in your capacity as Chairman of CFM you support the artificial insemination of Caithness with the Gaelic language in which case I would like to give you a poke between the eyes with anything that may make you sit up and pay attention to the issues at hand. A purely hypothetical poke between the eyes of course. ;)As the esteemed Orger says.

Arthur might be a respected singer but that's as much respect as he'll get from me. His unbelievably naive and patronising attempts to even address gleeber's concerns suggest that as the head man at Bòrd na Gàidhlig he is utterly out of his depth.

One good outcome would be to remove Arthur P from his position and replace him with WBG because WBG understands the issues and he knows damned well that the current ridiculous impasse over Gaelic roadsigns in Caithness is a different issue from the Royal National Mod and a world away from Gaelic medium education in Skye or even in Glasgow for that matter.

Aaldtimer
22-Nov-09, 03:53
Well I don't have a problem with you Frank unless of course in your capacity as Chairman of CFM you support the artificial insemination of Caithness with the Gaelic language in which case I would like to give you a poke between the eyes with anything that may make you sit up and pay attention to the issues at hand. A purely hypothetical poke between the eyes of course. ;)

Well I reject your "poke" Gleeber, because there can be no "artificial insemination", as any cursory glance at an Ordinance Survey Map of Caithness will show a proliferation of Gaelic names for many types of features. Not many to the East of the Cassymire I grant you, but otherwise plenty.
What I find hard to understand, and I think I've read most of your posts, maybe missed a few, is that you haven't defined your particular area of which part of the Caithness culture you find under threat by road signs.:confused

Aaldtimer
22-Nov-09, 04:00
Crayola, as it seems you don't deign to answer my post directly, you seem to be avoiding my question.

For you to suggest that "as the head man at Bòrd na Gàidhlig" that Arthur Cormack should be removed over the dispute of road signs in Caithness shows that you have little understanding of the role of the man's job.:confused

Ricco
22-Nov-09, 09:37
I shall refrain from naming names, on the off chance any of these people should come to harm, and I get the blame. Besides, despite my recurring fantasy, I know there are many people I could try to improve with my wee hammer, but I wouldn't get anywhere, and then I would get locked up for using the 2 by 4.

But a man can dream.

There used to be a song about 'Maxwell and his Silver Hammer'. Now that wouldn't be you, would it? ;)

gleeber
22-Nov-09, 11:41
which part of the Caithness culture you find under threat by road signs.:confused

I think Frank if you need to ask me that question then, like Arthur, you have little understanding of the issues at hand. I made it perfectly clear that my opposition to the Gaelic act and the Highland council Gaelic plan, goes much deeper than your historical argument, which I dont give much credence to anyway. Anyone interested can follow the discussion by pressing on crayolas link.
Culture to me is a feeling of belonging first, then, that is complimented by the art and music and other human activities of my community. I was born in Caithness and lived here most of my life and until recently Gaelic was never a part of the cultural scene in Caithness.It hadnt been for many generations previously. So you see, for me, there is no Gaelic culture in Caithness and anything introduced now is a modern invention. I welcome it though, but not to the extent of the Act or plans giving it equal status to the language of my culture which of course is English
I trust that helps you to understand my position more clearly and why I would maintain that Gaelic being enforced in Caithness through an act of parliament and given equal status to English would be an artificial cultural injection and change the face of a Caithness which has evolved to become the cosmopolitan county that it now is.

crayola
22-Nov-09, 12:26
I object to the legalistic imposition of Gaelic language and culture by Act of Parliament for the reasons gleeber explains. Gaelic was a minority language in Caithness almost 200 years ago and it's now a foreign language to almost all Caithnessians.

How many of today's native Caithnessians are native speakers of Gaelic? Are there any at all?

Aaldtimer
22-Nov-09, 17:11
Well Gleeber and Crayola, until Caithness produces a UDI, I guess we'll just have to live with it.
It's called democracy!:)

bcsman
22-Nov-09, 17:44
would'nt a poke in the eye with a dull stick be better????perhaps!!!

northener
22-Nov-09, 18:01
Well Gleeber and Crayola, until Caithness produces a UDI, I guess we'll just have to live with it.
It's called democracy!:)

If the Gubbment did a complete u-turn and legislated to remove all Gaelic signs across Scotland....would you still say "that's democracy"?

Somehow, I think you would be putting forward a very valid argument about Central Belt politics being biased against regional cultural differences and language.
What you are actually saying is that Caithness cannot have an identity of it's own, it must fall in line with influences from outside it's own area.

Isn't that what happened to the Gaelic language and culture not long ago? Or am I missing something? Aren't you guilty of the same cultural eradication as the "speak English or else" brigade of not that long ago?

Aaldtimer
22-Nov-09, 18:48
No Northener, that's not what I meant.
I should have added to that post that I didn't think it would make a whole lot of difference to everyday life in Caithness.:confused

northener
22-Nov-09, 19:26
No Northener, that's not what I meant.
I should have added to that post that I didn't think it would make a whole lot of difference to everyday life in Caithness.:confused

I'll agree with you there, certainly.

BUT, it's the principle behind the 'road sign' debate that irks me. And, as usual, there would be a very simple way around this problem:

As you pointed out, West of Causewaymire is predominantly Gaelic placenames and East is predominantly Norse in origin.
Wouldn't it be beyond the realms of possibility and common sense to have the correct Norse/Gaelic translation/explanation on each sign?

eg: Staxigoe has the translation of the Norse meaning, whereas Achavanich would have the Gaelic meaning attached.

Historical accuracy would not be compromised, local feelings would be satisfied and the Gaelic language would get it's rightful place on the right signs. And it would add another facet of interest for our beloved tourists.

But, then again, I genuinely believe some of our policy makers are on a mission with this......which is where we came in, I believe.

cuddlepop
22-Nov-09, 19:31
In reply to Northeners.

But, then again, I genuinely believe some of our policy makers are on a mission with this......which is where we came in, I believe.

The mission is to have us all speaking gaelic whether we like it or not.:mad:

Me, I want to poke "the gaelic mafia" in the eye.:Razz

redeyedtreefrog
22-Nov-09, 19:38
I poke between the eyes is a bit harsh, I'd go for George's suggestion of the 2x4. Clarkson and, seeing as Bushface is taken, Lloyd Daniels.

gleeber
22-Nov-09, 20:09
What you are actually saying is that Caithness cannot have an identity of it's own, it must fall in line with influences from outside it's own area.
Thats pretty much where the argument begins. Its becomes intelectual rather than historical or cultural. Thats how empires were built but nowadays they call it democracy.:lol:
You raise a valid point too in your analogy in the first post. No one comes out smelling of roses though. Its a them and us situation. This issue is divisive. As a local incomer, I would be interested to hear your interpretation of the priciples behind this that irk you. No need to hold back on that one.
I think your wrong Aaldtimer to say this issue means nothing if thats what your saying. There again maybe I'm just getting a bee in my bunnet although it's buzzin a lot.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
22-Nov-09, 20:29
I'd like to poke David Cameron in the eye.Just to say to him to finally answer a question when he's asked it.Its so easy saying what yer going to do when yer not in government.:)

northener
22-Nov-09, 20:46
Regarding what irks me on this, it's a pretty straightforward issue to me.

I have moved into an area that has historical and cultural links with the Norse kingdoms and Norse settlers. This legacy survives in the placenames of Caithness across a large swathe of the County, to the almost total exclusion of Gaelic names.

It would appear that outside influences seek to manipulate this wealth of local history by superimposing a different language upon this area, not based on any historical or cultural foundations, but based upon a 'policy' created by those who wish to further their own cause and/or promote Gaeldom across the board (choose your own interpretation).

To me, this is wrong, pure and simple.
Because Caithness is a relatively minor player in the great scheme of Highland things, it seems that there are those who would be happy to sacrifice Caithness' unique identity upon the altar of furthering the Gaelic cause.

I'm English, I have no quarrel with any one sector of the Scots nation, nor do I have any significant historical bias based upon my families experiences over the centuries. Therefore I base my opinion on what I believe is right and fair, without favouring one side or the other.

If this situation was reversed, and I lived in an area that had a predominantly Gaelic influence that was being eroded away by policy makers from outside the area dictating that a relatively alien language should appear on the local signs - then I'd be voicing my support for the Gaels on that one, absolutely.

I detest any crude interference from outside on issues that affect local communities. Pure and simple. The fact that it is the Gaelic language that is the issue here makes no difference to me whatsoever.

gleeber
22-Nov-09, 21:27
Thats a fair opinion and helps to remove the brand of bigot towards the attitude of caithness towards the Gaelic using the historical argument Although Im not interested in the historical argument too much, youve kind of sealed it for me. the Gaels have a good historical case too but theres more than history to be considered on this issue.
Over a week ago i stumbled onto a forum where there was a post asking for the Royal Mod to be taken from Caithness and given to Fort William. I responded and within a few hours there was some great posts and one of the posters was the Chairman of the government quango responsable for overseeing the running of the Gaelic act although he would not accept responsability for the road signs blaming that instead on Highland Council. His henchman WBG[lol] was with him and there were one or two other golachs sniffing about in the backgroung. I hope WBG disna mind me calling him a golach.
Anyway, he's in it to the neck. Wouldnt it be good if Councillor Rosie came onto the org or for that matter any other Caithness councillor and discuss how they all feel about this because its not going to go away. The great thing about the internet is these persons of power wouldnt even need to claim expenses. A whole act of Parliament could be repealed by using the internet. The orgs legendry status would be confimed for all time. Eternity. wow.

Aaldtimer
22-Nov-09, 21:48
Gleeber..."The great thing about the internet is these persons of power wouldnt even need to claim expenses."... Ah! That's not the reason why they don't...Och, surely not, I'm jist being an old cynic!;)

Aaldtimer
23-Nov-09, 04:52
would'nt a poke in the eye with a dull stick be better????perhaps!!!

Wouldn't that be pointless?:)